Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM

33,301 posts, read 12,484,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
in Andrew we had Canadian, French- Italian and even the Cubans volunteered - there are these trained disaster teams go all over the world- and to be honest- the mexicans cleaned it all up

Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
After this is all over and they start rebuilding; I hope they make their bridges higher, longer, and stronger so that people can evacuate easier if this ever happens again. Even if they do not have the funds to do every bridge; I hope they seriously consider doing one major route so that people always have an 'escape route'.
If you have even been to Houston, you'd know their highways are quite impressive. The problem is the sheer number of people, and if everyone hits the road at the same time, the roadways will be crowded.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:01 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Watching all of these people walking out through waist-high water, my first thought was, they look like refugees. Then I realized that that's exactly what they are. There are potentially millions of people who will be displaced for weeks or months to come, and may have nothing to return to.

This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. It's going to dwarf Katrina. And it's just beginning.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM

33,301 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As far as evacuating Houston; lets say that they can fill all the 120 busses with about 60 people each. That would be about 7200. Houston has a population of 2,300,000 (not counting the outskirts) and they would need 320 trips for all 120 buses and trips to where? The rains look like they are over a very large area so, if it is even possible, you would need to transport all those people a very long way. How much time would it take to make 320 trips? Of course some evacuated early and wanted no part of the storm so that would be fewer to be transported; but then you still have the surrounding areas. They would need considerably more than 120 busses if Houston did need to be evacuated. Are there any roads out of the Houston area that have no problems?

The one thing I have to say about the video I have seen on the TV is that everybody is pulling together. I am seeing our Whites helping save Black lives and the other way around and many Hispanics are also in the mix as well as other nationalities. Nobody is protesting that they were saved by another skin color! While Charlottesville represented the worst in our Country; Houston represents the best. I wish them the best of luck overcoming this disaster.
Within the last couple of hours (can't remember if it was on CNN, FNC, HLN, or The Weather Channel) a bottom of the screen headline announced that (at that point at least) all Houston freeways = closed.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:08 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Watching all of these people walking out through waist-high water, my first thought was, they look like refugees. Then I realized that that's exactly what they are. There are potentially millions of people who will be displaced for weeks or months to come, and may have nothing to return to.

This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. It's going to dwarf Katrina. And it's just beginning.
I don't think it will dwarf Katrina in loss of life. I hope not. That was not just rising water, but busted levees and rushing water. At least that's what I hope, but they're predicting an additional 10 inches of rain tonight.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:13 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think it will dwarf Katrina in loss of life. I hope not. That was not just rising water, but busted levees and rushing water. At least that's what I hope, but they're predicting an additional 10 inches of rain tonight.
And there are all those people who have been told to stay where they are and shelter in place. With 10 inches still to come, the water will continue to rise and there will be no rescue coming. I hope I'm wrong too, Katy, I really do. But I'm afraid for all of those people stranded out there.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:16 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

It appears to be worse in terms of damaged homes and displaced people, all these people need a place to stay for months. It will take several years to rebuild.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Within the last couple of hours (can't remember if it was on CNN, FNC, HLN, or The Weather Channel) a bottom of the screen headline announced that (at that point at least) all Houston freeways = closed.
That is why I made post #441. We now have millions trapped and we cannot move them if we wanted to. I have no idea how high the waters will go if this storm hangs around until Thursday or Friday? Somebody should seriously look at all of these low areas for their major freeways and correct that problem - just in case.

Recently, in my area within the last twenty years; we have had two or three five hundred year floods. Five hundred year floods are supposed to happen one every five hundred years - not three times in twenty. I would rather see us prepare for the worse case scenario.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:23 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you have even been to Houston, you'd know their highways are quite impressive. The problem is the sheer number of people, and if everyone hits the road at the same time, the roadways will be crowded.
I forget which hurricane; but I remember one that they made every lane out bound away from the storm. But you have to have at least one major escape route so emergency management has that option.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Awesome to see thousands of duck hunters saving folks in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.