Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM

28,880 posts, read 30,155,232 times

Advertisements

I just watched a news feed. A clip of a young man who had just walked 12 miles to get to where he was. He was so upset, lost everything, and didn't know if his family was safe. He said there hadn't been any cell phone connection since Thurs. Then they phoned his dad for him, and he almost broke down. He was in a state of shock.

Oh lord, those poor people. They need help.....they need a place to stay, food to eat.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

88,729 posts, read 44,496,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had errands to run today. Did your lights stay on for GOT? Is your water going up or down? I am glad you are still posting!
Me, too! I hope everyone who posts here from the Hurricane Harvey/flooding disaster area stays safe, regardless of any possible differences in political opinions.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM

88,729 posts, read 44,496,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Armchair quarterbacking the decisions at this time is pointless as it is an extremely complex situation and no one has all the pertinent information. As time goes by the impact and reasoning behind the decisions will come to light and then it will be a better time to make value judgments on the decisions made.

As it stands it could go in almost any direction:

It could be the case that the mayor went to some board that had estimates for the problems that could be caused by an evac and saw that they outweighed the risks of not ordering it.
He's already said that, and if there were ill-conceived evacuation plans in place, he could be right about that.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM

37,762 posts, read 40,870,361 times
I have 2 questions:

1. I see helicopters lifting people up from the flooding. I also see a number of overpasses above water. Instead of lifting people into helicopters with the help of someone that hooks them up and goes up with them, why not perform the same service from the overpasses without the helicopters?

A) It would take less time to go up and down.
B) They could put multiple vehicles on the overpasses with winches so they could winch more people up simultaneously instead of a onesy-twosy deal.
C) The volunteers in boats would only have to take people to the nearest overpass so they could go right back out again to grab some more.

2. I see a number of john boats (electric trolling motors) in addition to other boats (that need batteries) but see less of them today. It dawned on me that after their boat batteries are spent, if they have no power how do they recharge them? I never hear that part of pre-hurricane planning is to bring in tons of pre-charged batteries that can be used by volunteer rescuers in boats or generators solely for that purpose. Also, they tell people to stay on the line for rescue but if they have no power, how are they recharging their cell phones to stay on the line for long periods?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:41 PM

56,990 posts, read 25,952,358 times
Crazy story about a woman trying to get to the hospital to give birth and ends up at a Marriott, named her baby Harvey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efafca44888c

Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,897,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1988 View Post
How many stories is your home? Is it raised? It looks like at least in that picture the water is not that high. If you can watch the water level overnight while most people are sleeping I think you should be fine. The waters will rescind in a few days. In the past I have had water cover most of my driveway but we were not expecting more rain after that. You will get more rain and rain is very unpredictable. Hope you stay safe.
It is a one story. Flood water started trying to seep in our pantry and we put up bricks and rubber matting to keep it out. Fortunately, the rain seemed to recede somewhat. It is still raining, but it is much less. This is the creek right down the street as of 30 minutes ago. The water level has increased since yesterday. It is one of the two routes we use to get to town. You can't see it, but just outside the picture are three vehicles that are almost completely submerged.
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane Harvey-flood-utility-work.jpg  

Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,816,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
He's already said that, and if there were ill-conceived evacuation plans in place, he could be right about that.
I'm on the coast and have been through a couple of evacs, even with both lanes of the highway open to outgoing traffic and later incoming traffic I have seen a drive that normally takes 1-2 hours take 14+ hours, and our population is a lot less than Houston. I can definitely see the same thing with three times the quantity of people being potentially disastrous depending on the situation.

Ugh I still remember the frustration of taking side roads back into town instead of the interstate, making several hundred miles of decent progress at 35-40 mph, then dead ending at a fallen tree in the road, turning around and backtracking 30 miles to the next appropriate side road, traveling around 20 miles down that, running into another fallen tree, backtracking another 20 miles finally doing the last third of the trip on the interstate, which was a parking lot.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:47 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,816,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1988 View Post
Be careful with those flooded streets(Its very easy for your car to stop working if the waters are too deep, been there, done that). and forget that poster. I don't think she can sink any lower than that.

This is a very uncomfortable event for those whose homes get flooded. No matter what, people lose a lot of valuables and money.
Other problem with flooded streets is... you can't see the street. I have a picture on my phone from when I moved down here of a SUV that someone drove onto a street that appears to only have a foot or so of water. Problem was it was a downward grade and when they got to 2 feet or so of water they literally went off the road boundaries and into a ditch that was not visible from the surface. In the picture the SUV is floating about half submerged at an angle. This was not in an emergency or anything just in a part of the downtown area that floods regularly after a particularly heavy storm.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Please stop posting, my city in under water, I have loved ones who are in bad shape and my girlfriend and I are ready to help as soon as it's safe for us and seeing your stupid *** posts is starting to **** me off.

You have NO CLUE what you're talking about, and you're using this disaster to take shots at liberals. How pathetic.

This is as nice as I can state it, next time, it won't be.
Glad to see you and Katygirl and War Beagle, etc. posting. I'm wondering about SandraMoore because it sounded like she was going to evacuate yesterday - but who knows how far she could have gotten.

So you're okay and have enough food for you and the furbabies?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM

17,350 posts, read 9,180,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Interesting headline:

"More than 20 Texas representatives and senators voted against Sandy aid. How will they vote on Harvey?"
Interesting Bill: $50.5 Billion

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr152/text

It was a major Boondoggle Slush Fund for pretty much every office/department/agency they could stuff into it.
Odd that about a Democrats found some reason to "no vote" that bill.

I would fully expect Texas CongressCritters to make the same vote IF - the idiots in House/Senate attempt to attach everything, including a Kitchen sink to a "relief Legislation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies