Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:33 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Crazy story about a woman trying to get to the hospital to give birth and ends up at a Marriott, named her baby Harvey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efafca44888c
Gee. The only thing I thought was scary, was the woman climbing in a truck, going back out in the flood to head towards the hospital to give birth. I think she was safer in the dry meeting room, with blankets, towels and 3 nurses who (may not have delivered before ) but they had medical knowledge. The truck taking the mom back outside in the flood, to head towards the hospital seemed dangerous to me. Get the baby delivered in a dry, safe area and then maybe transport mom and baby to the hospital in less than optimal conditions...

Old 08-28-2017, 02:36 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Oh. Silly me. How could I have so completely misunderstood your meaning?

You conservatives can drop the fictitious narrative that the mayor ordered people not to evacuate, too, because that didn't happen.
Except that he did. I already pointed out his tweet.

https://twitter.com/SylvesterTurner/...54698316722176

https://twitter.com/DisasterPIO/stat...57950672293889

Mayor of Houston told residents 'not to evacuate' - Story | WFLD

Quote:
...some people Sunday were questioning city officials' decisions so far in this storm.

Desiree Mallard arrived to the convention center after escaping her apartment complex by using an inflated air mattress to float her nearly 2-year-old son through floodwaters that came up to her chest.

A Coast Guard vessel picked them up.

Mallard wished she had left before Hurricane Harvey approached the Texas Gulf Coast, but she saw on the news to stay in place.

"And then when it got bad, they said it's too late to evacuate," she said.
Houston, prone to flooding, hit by Harvey's heavy rain - CNN

Quote:
"This is going to be a major rainmaker," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told CNN Saturday morning. "This is just day one. We anticipate four to five days of this, so we're asking people to stay off the roads if they don't need to be on the roads."
https://twitter.com/SylvesterTurner/...06722306531328

You sure about that?

By the way, wanted to point out that the population of Houston, TX is not 6 million. It's 2.3 million.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:37 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Glad to see you and Katygirl and War Beagle, etc. posting. I'm wondering about SandraMoore because it sounded like she was going to evacuate yesterday - but who knows how far she could have gotten.

So you're okay and have enough food for you and the furbabies?
Thank you for your concern. We are fine, and AT5G is a hero, going to help people in need. I haven't seen SandraMoore post in a while, but she may be out of juice or even without her phone. I am optimistic enough to think she's going to be okay. But I can't wait to hear from her to be sure.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
My phone is just now drying back out, lol. It's functional again.

I just made a swim to cut a line on my floating dock, burrrrr, cold water.

I also had to drive my wife a pretty good distance for work. She works at an old folks home and they are short staff. She was either going to drive herself, or I was going to take her. She was too concerned about he patients and wouldn't stay home. Now, she is in Dayton, and they just lost power. She took clothes to stay for at least three days.

The walkway around my bulkhead is up past my chest, and the water is still rising.

I may be a hard core conservative, but I'm so proud of our liberal mayor, Sylvester Turner. He has been doing a very good job, IMHO. I flipped past Fox News, and I wanted to ring the necks of those idiots who are bashing him. They are a bunch of bozos.

Anyways, still have power and brownish water out of the sinks.

I'm much more fortunate than tens of thousands of others.

Unless the lake Conroe dam fails, I should be good. The last I heard, the water going over the top of our dam, Lake Hosuton, was 8 feet. Yes , 8 feet over the top of the dam.

This is historic.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Hey, you're not supposed to use this for "political points" at a "time like this".
Never in the history of this country has a President EVER visited a site of Natural Disaster - Particularly a Hurricane. It's not really a "political point" to state that - it's something for sure, but nothing as clear as a "political point".

Old 08-28-2017, 02:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Never in the history of this country has a President EVER visited a site of Natural Disaster - Particularly a Hurricane. It's not really a "political point" to state that - it's something for sure, but nothing as clear as a "political point".
Trump needs to stay away. His presence would only be a distraction.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Yep. Yep, I am quite sure that no reasonable person could interpet the phrase "please think twice" as an ORDER to not evacuate. Could hardly be more sure. If anyone was doing even the least bit of due diligence and keeoping abreast of the hurricane that was coming to their town, and was thinking that it would be wise to evacuate but heard the phrase "please think twice" and felt that they had been ORDERED not to evacuate, then quite frankly the gene pool would not suffer from their absence.

As for the phrase, "stay off the roads if you don't need to be on the roads," it's not even worth discussing.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Unless the lake Conroe dam fails, I should be good. The last I heard, the water going over the top of our dam, Lake Hosuton, was 8 feet. Yes , 8 feet over the top of the dam.

This is historic.
Good god that is catastrophic.

Sheds some light on how flood myths may have developed through history... that kind of influx of water really would look like the end of the world with no external context.

Hope everything works out and you don't end up with too much damage.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Yep. Yep, I am quite sure that no reasonable person could interpet the phrase "please think twice" as an ORDER to not evacuate. Could hardly be more sure.

As for the phrase, "stay off the roads if you don't need to be on the roads," it's not even worth discussing.
You don't know people very well then, do you? You don't understand just how many people actually listen to what officials tell them and think that officials do "know better" than say, a meteorologist who is telling you that this is going to happen. You don't understand that some people do not make decisions for themselves when it comes to things this big, they do look to their government officials to guide them. These officials failed the people of Houston. I don't care if people here don't like that I'm appointing that blame right now. The time for them may not be right now, but it is for me. I'm not in Houston. I'm not anywhere near Houston. There isn't a damn thing I can do for anyone in Houston. I sure as hell can point out that the mayor failed them. If it's "not the time", they don't have to read it. Fix your flooded house, but I'm still going to say what I'm going to say no matter what little threats someone wants to post on here. I've lived in Houston, my brother lives there, his entire neighborhood is flooded. I don't give one rat's backside what light weights on here want to hear or not.

Telling people "it's a rainmaker" does not have the same impact as saying, "this is going to cause widespread historic flooding". Which one do you think would have got people moving to evacuate?

Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My phone is just now drying back out, lol. It's functional again.

I just made a swim to cut a line on my floating dock, burrrrr, cold water.

I also had to drive my wife a pretty good distance for work. She works at an old folks home and they are short staff. She was either going to drive herself, or I was going to take her. She was too concerned about he patients and wouldn't stay home. Now, she is in Dayton, and they just lost power. She took clothes to stay for at least three days.

The walkway around my bulkhead is up past my chest, and the water is still rising.

I may be a hard core conservative, but I'm so proud of our liberal mayor, Sylvester Turner. He has been doing a very good job, IMHO. I flipped past Fox News, and I wanted to ring the necks of those idiots who are bashing him. They are a bunch of bozos.

Anyways, still have power and brownish water out of the sinks.

I'm much more fortunate than tens of thousands of others.

This is historic.
Holy crap, didn't know you were down there, too, Pedro.

Your wife! What an angel.

I saw Lake Houston this morning when I had the weather channel on briefly and it was unbelievable how high it was. If I recall correctly at one point they showed a streetlight and the water was nearly up to the bulb part of it. Hopefully you're not too close to it.

Glad you're all doing well, have enough food and power, etc.

ATG5, stay safe when you do venture out to help people. The folks down there helping others are heroes.

And Pedro? Don't watch FOX...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies