Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Ft Bend county is one of the most conservative in the country. So is Harris county.

These sorts of posts make me laugh. Harris County went for Obama in 08 and 12, and then for Hillary in 16.

Theres this thing called the internet.....

Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
These storm always hit the same states nate and never any action in my part of FL since i was born in 1963.
South Carolina gets hit a bit. We had a 1 in 1000 yr. flood in October of 2015. We've been fortunate.

I can't imagine having my house with five feet of water, losing both our cars......and then the clean up if and when and I'm okay.

I will pay more for it all and will manage.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Although I usually believe in shared responsibility for such disasters, Cruz and many Texas republicans have been against having others pay for such disasters in the past. Should Texans pay for their own disaster or should we all?
We will all pay and help. That is what the USA is all about. Cruz and his buddies who were against Sandy aid should be quiet and sit in a corner.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is bad news and it's still raining, I don't think anyone designs a dam for 40 inches of rain in 3 days.
That's what I worry about. Earth turns to mud and has a tendency to flow instead of holding back water.

PS pbmaise I presume you have these specifications: Lake Houston (San Jacinto River Basin) | Texas Water Development Board.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I actually am not blaming Trump. I can't stand Trump, but I think he has done a good job with Harvey overall. I am one of the few posters who is blaming the mayor. And it has little to do with the "Don't evacuate" order. [b]It has to do with the fact that we have been paying this nonsense "drainage fee" for 7 years and our drainage has not improved one iota[b]. We have been literally flushing millions of dollars down the toilet and people are still dying in floods. And for that I blame the mayor.
7 years.

Turner has been mayor since January 2nd, 2016

Annise Parker was mayor from January 2nd, 2010....to January 2nd, 2016.

Don't you think former mayor Parker deserves at least half of the blame?

If not, why not?

Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
23 out of 24 Republican Texans voted no for aid to Sandy. That's all. What more do you need.
As difficult as it will be for the victims, Texas must be denied federal funds and assistance as repayment for this. I don't want any of my taxes going to a state that only wants to be part of the union when its them in need.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Our PedroM and several others are down without power. Please pray. Thank you.
Ugh, hate to hear that. Please keep us updated if you hear anything.

My girlfriend and I will be volunteering, in addition to our churches, through Red Cross and the Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group in whatever capacity they need, so if any fellow C-Ders need assistance or know of anyone that does, please feel free to reach out.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I can't fault the Houston city officials for not announcing an evacuation. The city once called for a general evacuation, and it turned out to be a calamity that killed as many people as the storm.

There's simply no way to evacuate 6.5 million people at once on short notice.

I've just spent an hour pouring over the weather reports, and no one- the weather service on down- expected Harvey to hold together once it came inland. The storm's wind damage wasn't large in Huston; it turned into a massive rainstorm of such huge proportions no one has seen the likes of it in 800 years!

And the worst is still to come. Harvey's internal structure is still holding together, and until it begins to fall apart, it will continue to pump moisture out of the warm gulf waters high into the sky, and it will continue to condense into bands of heavy rainfall, dumping 3 or more inches with each band. This rain is expected to continue into Wednesday.

This kind of rainfall is unprecedented in living history. All the water in Houston and all its suburbs drains to the ocean via the big Buffalo Bayou and the Houston industrial waterway. They are both above flood stage now- over 5 feet above flood stage.

There are 2 70-year old reservoirs on either side of Interstate 10. Both are earthen dams, constructed to be dry reservoirs, constructed to hold flood water temporarily, so a flood could be contained outside the city limits, and the flood waters released into the bayous as the levels dropped.

They are both close to over topping, and either or both could fail. The Corps of Engineers is releasing the water into the bayou to keep them from collapsing, but there's more rain falling than can be released. So the Corps is faced with a hell of a choice; either the highly populated east side of the city gets more floodwater, or the west side of the reservoirs is flooded. The west side is more lightly populated, but there is no drainage at all, so the flood waters will stay put there for months.

Harvey is going to be bigger and badder than either Katrina or Sandy before it dissipates. Every city from Austin to Houston will be flooded if there is no sudden change in the storm's formation. Right now, the size of the flood is larger than Lake Superior in area, and there's enough water on the ground to fill up the Great Salt Lake 2 times over.

This storm is hitting the 4th largest metro in the nation. Houston is a major oil supplier, a major industrial and technological and medical center, and the damage will take years to recover from. The rich and the poor are both going to be hurting equally for a very long time to come.

Pray for Texas that it ends very soon.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
As was already mentioned, insurance premiums will increase significantly due to cost of paying off the claims.

When my area was hit with severe storms my auto insurance skyrocketed and the agent said it was because of the many claims/payouts.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Although I usually believe in shared responsibility for such disasters, Cruz and many Texas republicans have been against having others pay for such disasters in the past. Should Texans pay for their own disaster or should we all?
Like it or not, we will all be paying for Harvey. For years to come, if the storm doesn't end very soon.

The size of this flood has never been seen in the United States before in our history. And it isn't over yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies