Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wouldn't expect anything else.

If I was looking for shelter or any kind of help, and I had to choose between going to a church or to a mosque, I'd definitely expect the Muslim to be more helpful. That's a no brainer.

That's no endorsement of their faith, which I detest just as much as I detest Christianity. I just think that Muslims have more empathy for people in immediate need.
No idea whether Muslims have more empathy or not, but do know that I once contacted over two dozen churches asking for help feeding a bunch of kids at a free, community-based drop-in center.

Finally, one pastor said, "What do you need?" I said peanut butter, whole wheat bread, jam, oatmeal, brown sugar, bananas, potatoes, cheese." He said, you'll have it by Monday.

Monday, he showed up with boxes of oatmeal, peanut butter, jam, bread, ...

This was a community church in the poorest area of town.

It was enough to make grown woman cry.

Why are there so many good, loving people at the bottom and so few at the top?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No idea whether Muslims have more empathy or not, but do know that I once contacted over two dozen churches asking for help feeding a bunch of kids at a free, community-based drop-in center.

Finally, one pastor said, "What do you need?" I said peanut butter, whole wheat bread, jam, oatmeal, brown sugar, bananas, potatoes, cheese." He said, you'll have it by Monday.

Monday, he showed up with boxes of oatmeal, peanut butter, jam, bread, ...

This was a community church in the poorest area of town.

It was enough to make grown woman cry.

Why are there so many good, loving people at the bottom and so few at the top?
They've been there, too. Nothing like personal experience to foster a sense of empathy.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,935,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But that point is flawd on multiple levels.

If your argument is "we have bigger fish to fry", thats fine, but that argument would include both the left and right, not just one.

If your argument is that people just dont care about the flag, then you are just lying to yourself,

Putting aside your differences for the greater good is not the same as not having those differences of opinion.
Wholeheartedly agree with yours & particularly the part about ~ it's "not the same".

If enough American people had been willing & able to put aside differences for the greater good ...

... In the present day, there would be just 1 flag representing the United States of America & our de facto motto would still be ...

E Pluribus Unum ~ Out of many, one ~ One out of many ~ One from many.

The man who helped the other man in the OP was actively demonstrating the concept of "for the greater good" & not ...

'Don't tread on my right to tread on you'.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A black MMA fighter has been helping victims of Harvey for days. Even the dreaded white folks. Lots of pics and videos of him helping anyone and everyone in the article.

He further added...

Black MMA Fighter Says He Saved Stranded Harvey Victim With Confederate Flag | HuffPost

To normal folks this is a man of integrity, respect, and a hero.

To the Left he'll be labeled an Uncle Tom or worse.
You were doing really well, until that last sentence. Then you had to go and turn a story about how people will pull together in a crisis, and turn it into a slam, and an inaccurate one, at that.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 AM

23,584 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Houston mosques open doors to shelter Harvey evacuees - CNN

Tropical Storm Harvey evacuees surge to Houston shelters, including sports arena, religious centers | Fox News

A beautiful thing to see groups who are marginalized and mistreated come to the aid of others despite their place in our society.
Let's see, Venezuala has offered help, So that country is also maligned.

Murderous drug lords provide life saving operations to dying children in their village.

Confidence men always endear themselves to their victim before striking.

Molesters offer candy treats.

Take the gesture at face value and don't read into it and its a good thing.

The hate and fear mongering media has hyped the malignment and mistreating to create sympathy on one hand and an army of false enemies on the other as straw dogs to divide the nation.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:37 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,935,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Trying to deflect from the thread topic, much?
Here's a reminder: Black man saves white man with confederate flag.
Gotta admit the title made me think someone got saved with a Confederate flag somehow used as a 'life preserver'.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
He actually saved him with the flag? If not... who cares

Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,380,842 times
Once again .... displaying the stars and bars does not mean you are a racist.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,760,696 times
We've seen this story from both sides. White man with confederate flag on his boat saving people of all colors and now a man of color saving a man carrying a confederate flag. Nice stories, both, and they help put things in to perspective.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:39 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
Explosions reported at Houston refineries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies