Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes, attacking the free press. Priority 1 of most despots, and fascist regimes.

Seriously folks, this is a dangerous thing to encourage, and its a great way to destroy our country. Criticize away, but calling them a enemy is indicative of you preferring your political ideology over freedom.
I agree.

I also have a memory. I recall very well how the "press" reported on the trials and tribulations of Bill Clinton. I also recall the "press" continually reporting the Wikileaks stolen emails of Hillary Clinton, and of seemingly non-stop coverage of the words of Donald Trump. CNN seems to have aired, live, every speech of Mr. Trump during the campaign. They also had 'pro Trump' people constantly on their round-tables.

However, Mr. Trump said "fake news", and his low-educated (whom he said he loved best) now repeat that phrase, almost to the exclusion of all others.

I have noticed that many confuse 'opinion' articles with 'news reporting'. Website such as CNN, Fox and Washington Post has clearly noted 'opinion' articles and editorials. Yet, we constantly have Trump supporters citing opinion article as 'news'. It is not.

It is also odd that when the "press" reports Donald JOHN Trump's very words, some Trump supporters become upset, particularly if the news article notes that Mr. Trump was contradicting an earlier tweet or statement.

People still alive, like my mother (89), recall the rise of fascism. She (and my father, a WWII vet, now dead), recall how the 'civilized' country of Germany fell into madness, led by a monster that characterized Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and even the 'press' as 'the enemy'. Reading only a little bit of history will reveal that the German Minister in charge of propaganda (Goebbels), had concluded that small lies will be ignored, but big lies, repeated often enough, will become truth to the lower educated or the highly educated, but gullible.

There is nothing wrong, obviously, with supporting Donald JOHN Trump. However, to simply attack those that criticize him, or those that report his deeds and words, as the 'enemy', is, indeed, leading all down a road that could lead to the loss of rights and liberties for all, even those that support Mr. Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:14 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I do see where the OP cited an 'opinion' article by the New York Times. It was not a 'news' article.

Here is an example of a "news" article from said paper:

IMPEACHMENT: THE OVERVIEW -- CLINTON IMPEACHED; HE FACES A SENATE TRIAL, 2D IN HISTORY; VOWS TO DO JOB TILL TERM'S 'LAST HOUR' - The New York Times

The 'failing' New York Times reported the facts.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM

729 posts, read 429,336 times
I see the rise of fascism now. It calls itself AntiFa. It is sympathized with by a media that characterizes it as "peaceful protesting" (Reuters), despite them assaulting Trump supporter ALL THROUGH the campaign, and to this day. Tell me if you saw that on CNN. I could give some credit to CNN's website. But their news? HA! You can see the visible hatred in the anchors' faces. They hate Trump. It'd be nice if they just admitted it. This isn't new. It's been that way since at least the primaries.

You criticize those you deem as Trump's "low-educated" followers, but what about all the low-educated opponents who have never listened to a Trump speech in full, who only see the headlines and the texts at the bottom screens and just hate the guy based on that, Completely oblivious to how much good he's doing?

Might I add that I know Chinese and Cuban Trump supporters who see the frenzy of the democrats right now as eerily similar to the rises Mao and Castro, respectively.

Last edited by Manimuni; 08-25-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Mainstream media, you are the enemy!
Yes, free press is always the enemy of a dictator.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:19 PM

729 posts, read 429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, free press is always the enemy of a dictator.
The reason Obama hated Limbaugh and Hannity.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:21 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
MSM are partisan hacks. They used to be fact finders.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
If you're a Neo-Nazi Trump fanatic, yes, the free press is the enemy.

If you're a normal person, and value living in a democracy, the free press is a wonderful and valued thing.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:22 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This business of labeling the free press as enemies of the people is getting really dangerous.

Funny, I was thinking that failing to recognize the press as enemies of the people was getting dangerous.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:22 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
I don't recall him giving 75 minute speeches demonizing them.

Lets face it, this attack on free press has NEVER happened in this country before.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just nonsensical.

I won't pretend that I felt Obama always did a great job of handling people who disagree with him, but to suggest there's some comparison to the current office holder in this regard is completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies