Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Jesus if you read it in context was not supportive of this evil system. Jesus knew he was asked this question to trap him. Jesus had to outsmart them with, Render to Ceasar the things of Ceasar. Render to God that which is God's. They were out to arrest him.
If he didn't want us to pay taxes he wouldn't BS around the topic. You know there are some countries without governments: Somalia and South Sudan come to mind. Think those are good places?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
The majority of liberals are not calling for people to give all of their money to the government. This is the type of idea expressed on a message board that is just not true. Currently people on welfare get very little-- no one is getting rich over money received from the government.

Say we have no government that helps the poor (ie Somalia). You honestly think people will be willing to shell out money to help to make up the small amount that welfare benefits get now? I don't think you are paying attention. American greed is very strong. There is a reason money is the root of all evil. 40 million people live in poverty in the worlds richest country. Rich get richer....
I got no dog in the religious fight, but I do see a government taking care of the poorest citizens on a utility curve as a net positive. That is to say, having a large volume of desperate starving people can be extremely bad for EVERYONE in a given country(even the super rich... sometimes they end up in the guillotine), so trying to pull people over that bare minimum so that they are less likely to rob/scam/kill for survival, and on a large enough scale revolt and overthrow their government, as an overall net benefit for the stability and prosperity of a society. The more extremely desperate people in a society the less stable, safe, and enjoyable that society becomes for everyone. The trick and difficulty is finding the right balance.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
like what....gay marriage....abortions on demand......keep school prayer out of schools.....lol
Who gave you the idea that these are "bedrock Democratic principles?" I know of almost no Democrats who feel particularly strong about any of these, with the possible exception of gay marriage (though the battle's largely been won, so I don't see it at the top of people's lists anymore).

Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Some Christians support Trump for the same reason some Liberals supported Hillary.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Still waiting for that make nonbelievers pay verse. Are you sure we are not discussing Islam?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times

Tell me Finn. Was Bill Clinton a saint? Was Hillary? Was Obama? no.. they had some bad baggage.. but I bet God could dredge up some stuff on you and me too. No one is perfect.

The fact that Trump acknowledged Christians and listened to what they had problems with.. Trump humbled himself and prayed with them.. Trump gave Christian leaders a voice in the pulpit that LBJ took away..no president has done that for Christianity.

Why shouldn't Christians have a voice? Should they get their news from TV or from someone who knows their bible and acknowledges God as their savior and Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But.... Trump is not a Christian.

He lied to them by praying with them when he's not remotely religious.

That's bad.

The last 'religious' president we had was Jimmy Carter and even he acknowledged that he was a sinner saved by grace.

Trump is a man who lies constantly and claims that he has no need of forgiveness yet you say that he humbled himself and prayed with the Christians. He is using the Christians to get what he wants, just like he is using all the other special interest groups. There has been no outward change in his behavior so what does that tell you about how sincere he was? Trump has never claimed to be a Christian, others are doing that. True, only God can look in on the inner being but from all outward appearances, Trump and Christianity are miles apart.

He gave Christian leaders a voice in the pulpit? Do you mean a voice in the government? Even with that you have to be careful because Jesus said that you can not serve two masters. This is what I think some of these evangelical 'christians' are doing. They have become so enamored of fame and fortune that they are neglecting the One whom they say they serve. I used to wonder how Christians would be lead astray by the Anti Christ (not saying that Trump is the Anti Christ) but not any more. This slavish devotion to anything Trump does, refusal to admit that he may be wrong about somethings and willingness to believe what are clearly lies do not bode well for Christianity and the end times. Someone can come and say all the correct 'christian things' and people immediately start to follow them without question. God is not afraid of questions- we Christians must start to use critical discernment when it comes to leaders.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I got no dog in the religious fight, but I do see a government taking care of the poorest citizens on a utility curve as a net positive. That is to say, having a large volume of desperate starving people can be extremely bad for EVERYONE in a given country(even the super rich... sometimes they end up in the guillotine), so trying to pull people over that bare minimum so that they are less likely to rob/scam/kill for survival, and on a large enough scale revolt and overthrow their government, as an overall net benefit for the stability and prosperity of a society. The more extremely desperate people in a society the less stable, safe, and enjoyable that society becomes for everyone. The trick and difficulty is finding the right balance.
Agreed. Something tells me Jesus would agree as well.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post

Tell me Finn. Was Bill Clinton a saint? Was Hillary? Was Obama? no.. they had some bad baggage.. but I bet God could dredge up some stuff on you and me too. No one is perfect.

The fact that Trump acknowledged Christians and listened to what they had problems with.. Trump humbled himself and prayed with them.. Trump gave Christian leaders a voice in the pulpit that LBJ took away..no president has done that for Christianity.

Why shouldn't Christians have a voice? Should they get their news from TV or from someone who knows their bible and acknowledges God as their savior and Lord.

The last 'religious' president we had was Jimmy Carter and even he acknowledged that he was a sinner saved by grace.

Trump is a man who lies constantly and claims that he has no need of forgiveness yet you say that he humbled himself and prayed with the Christians. He is using the Christians to get what he wants, just like he is using all the other special interest groups. There has been no outward change in his behavior so what does that tell you about how sincere he was? Trump has never claimed to be a Christian, others are doing that. True, only God can look in on the inner being but from all outward appearances, Trump and Christianity are miles apart.

He gave Christian leaders a voice in the pulpit? Do you mean a voice in the government? Even with that you have to be careful because Jesus said that you can not serve two masters. This is what I think some of these evangelical 'christians' are doing. They have become so enamored of fame and fortune that they are neglecting the One whom they say they serve. I used to wonder how Christians would be lead astray by the Anti Christ (not saying that Trump is the Anti Christ) but not any more. This slavish devotion to anything Trump does, refusal to admit that he may be wrong about somethings and willingness to believe what are clearly lies do not bode well for Christianity and the end times. Someone can come and say all the correct 'christian things' and people immediately start to follow them without question. God is not afraid of questions- we Christians must start to use critical discernment when it comes to leaders.
LBJ went into the churches business and told them they could not say anything about our political leaders. Trump gave back a voice to our religious leaders.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
True. Creating a bunch of poor people and worse , drug addicts looking to rob people.. We need jobs. An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post

Stay away from MSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies