Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all his appeals were denied, correct.....?
From what I understand, his appeal hasn't even been heard yet. I think Trump jumped the gun on this. He should have waited until the appeals were heard and sentencing read.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
This is what Trump considered Arpaio "just doing his job":

A federal investigation found that deputies had used stun guns on prisoners already strapped into a “restraint chair.” The family of one man who died after being forced into the restraint chair was awarded more than six million dollars as the result of a suit filed in federal court. The family of another man killed in the restraint chair got $8.25 million in a pre-trial settlement. (This deal was reached after the discovery of a surveillance video that showed fourteen guards beating, shocking, and suffocating the prisoner, and after the sheriff’s office was accused of discarding evidence, including the crushed larynx of the deceased.)

Sheriff Joe | The New Yorker

Personally I would have liked to have seen a jury trial just so those Arizona jurors would be on record excusing this as much as Trump is doing now.

Maybe Hollywood could make a movie re-enacting what Arpaio called his "concentration camp". Put it out there for all the world to see in vivid detail

Old 08-26-2017, 07:47 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,265,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
From what I understand, his appeal hasn't even been heard yet. I think Trump jumped the gun on this. He should have waited until the appeals were heard and sentencing read.

nah...this was political all the way......this should had never reach the courts let alone a conviction and the appeals system........the judge should have given him a trial by jury when he asked for it.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, a sheriff illegally rounds up aliens and puts them in a 'tent city' in the Arizona heat! (illegal aliens or not, the way HE did it was still illegal!)

A federal court says he rounded them up illegally, and tells sheriff to take a chill pill! A W appointed federal court, at that!

Sheriff defies the court order, and that federal judge (a W man!) holds him in contempt! But he still gets pardoned!

Is that correct......?
That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 PM

923 posts, read 494,696 times
Great move President Trump! Clearly it would have been overturned on appeal but why waste time and money when there's no political penalty for the pardon. Those who are whining and moaning now never liked President Trump anyway so there's no loss there.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is what Trump considered Arpaio "just doing his job":

A federal investigation found that deputies had used stun guns on prisoners already strapped into a “restraint chair.” The family of one man who died after being forced into the restraint chair was awarded more than six million dollars as the result of a suit filed in federal court. The family of another man killed in the restraint chair got $8.25 million in a pre-trial settlement. (This deal was reached after the discovery of a surveillance video that showed fourteen guards beating, shocking, and suffocating the prisoner, and after the sheriff’s office was accused of discarding evidence, including the crushed larynx of the deceased.)

Sheriff Joe | The New Yorker

Personally I would have liked to have seen a jury trial just so those Arizona jurors would be on record excusing this as much as Trump is doing now.

Maybe Hollywood could make a movie re-enacting what Arpaio called his "concentration camp". Put it out there for all to see in vivid detail

Federal Investigation leaked to the media??????? if no federal charges where filed on that then how are you repeating this as evidence? part of the proganda.

Did the 14 guards were charged and convicted of beating, shocking, and suffocating the prisoner? where is the video? shouldn't the video be out in public already if it exist?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Federal Investigation leaked to the media??????? if no federal charges where filed on that then how are you repeating this as evidence? part of the proganda.

Did the 14 guards were charged and convicted of beating, shocking, and suffocating the prisoner? where is the video? shouldn't the video be out in public already if it exist?
The cases were settled and there will probably be more cases. But hey, Trump supporters don't care, it's all good with them.

Hollywood, please make a movie showing this country what Joe Arpaio was really about. Show this country what he actually did for years. Show this country what Trump pardoned.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the judge denied him a jury trial because this was obviously political......no way a jury of 12 Arizona Citizens would find him guilty....the worst case is a hung jury.

but he had every right to ask for a jury trial if the charges are criminal....he was denied that.
A political ruling......by a W appointee! Many would say that's a stretch!

Some years back, a friend I know, who had stock, ranted against the "liberal" judge in the Government's antitrust case against Microsoft! I had to let him know that Judge Jackson was a Reagan cat!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman
So, a sheriff illegally rounds up aliens and puts them in a 'tent city' in the Arizona heat! (illegal aliens or not, the way HE did it was still illegal!)

A federal court says he rounded them up illegally and tells the sheriff to take a chill pill! A W appointed federal court, at that!

Sheriff defies the court order, and that federal judge (a W man!) holds him in contempt! But he still gets pardoned!

Is that correct......?

he asked for a trial by jury and was denied by the judge who is a democrat appointed by Bill Clinton.....sorry, this smell political since day #1.

Sheriff defies the judge because he wanted a trial by jury and not some political judge taking orders from the Obama's Justice Department.

Trump pardons him and ends this circus.......if the judge and feds had any evidence then have a trial by jury.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:58 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, I am 52, but as I didn't have television during most of the Clinton administration, I will admit that I do not know as much about those pardons as I should. I could have read newspapers, but honestly, I was occupied with other pursuits at at that point in my life, which is really pretty embarrassing for a former journalist.

I couldn't agree with you more about one thing: the presidential pardon is an open invitation for abuse of justice.
Would you care to weigh in on the Rich pardon and how his ex-wife secured it with large political donations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.