Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

Bethesda mistakenly bills woman $1,000 after ER waiting room visit - WCPO Cincinnati, OH

I guess that is a new trick that these "non-profit" hospitals have up their sleeve. She rushes to the hospital for pain, they ignore her and then charge her $1,059.

She never saw a physician, they basically registered the women and ignored her and then they rush over a bill.

I love how these hospitals say that it was just a tracking mistake with their ultra-sophisticated computer systems they have in place. It is pretty evident that they set the computer up that way and blame the clerical mistakes on their expensive computer systems.

Many of these hospitals have lots of tricks up their sleeve. Whether it is ignoring patients so they have go to a different hospital or intentionally giving terrible treatment so they have to come back multiple times it is just a game the fat-cat "non-profit" healthcare executives like to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
If that was me, their chances of it getting paid are slim and none!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
It's not new nor was it a mistake. I had one of these after I got tired of waiting. Told check-in I'm leaving and I left. Sometime later got a bill for $1180. Called my insurance company and they said that they had processed it already. They paid them $221 and my part was zip. Depending on one's insurance company, once it hits "Allowable Charges" line most of these become 10%-20% of what was billed. It's the administration fee.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:21 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If that was me, their chances of it getting paid are slim and none!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's not new nor was it a mistake. I had one of these after I got tired of waiting. Told check-in I'm leaving and I left. Sometime later got a bill for $1180. Called my insurance company and they said that they had processed it already. They paid them $221 and my part was zip. Depending on one's insurance company, once it hits "Allowable Charges" line most of these become 10%-20% of what was billed. It's the administration fee.
Unfortunately you'd be paying it or talking to a collection agency. The absurd sticker prices are meant as leverage for negotiating with insurers (contract with us at the rate we want or we'll charge your customers these insane prices out of network!) and for the most part have no meaning but every once in a while someone without insurance and with assets to seize will fall through the cracks and get hit with one of these insane charges.

There should be a law restricting emergency services out of network or to the uninsured to 2x the Medicare rate (1x Medicare rate is usually slightly profitable, but could be more profitable or a loss depending on how the hospital is run) to keep non-profit status. 50% margin is more than enough for an entity that in theory is supposed to serve the public and is exempt from taxation to do that.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Unfortunately you'd be paying it or talking to a collection agency.
If they affect your credit with a fake debt (which is what this is), you'll win a defamation lawsuit.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Unfortunately you'd be paying it or talking to a collection agency. The absurd sticker prices are meant as leverage for negotiating with insurers (contract with us at the rate we want or we'll charge your customers these insane prices out of network!) and for the most part have no meaning but every once in a while someone without insurance and with assets to seize will fall through the cracks and get hit with one of these insane charges.

There should be a law restricting emergency services out of network or to the uninsured to 2x the Medicare rate (1x Medicare rate is usually slightly profitable, but could be more profitable or a loss depending on how the hospital is run) to keep non-profit status. 50% margin is more than enough for an entity that in theory is supposed to serve the public and is exempt from taxation to do that.
The law's already clear. There's no contract, so it's quantum meruit. If the hospital charges other people less than they charge you, then their services don't merit what they're charging you.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:

Actually this is the dance between hospitals and insurers, so insurers can do premium increases. OTOH this is a reason to either have Medicare from birth to death or socialized healthcare.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Emergency rooms are a racket. My 3 year old granddaughter went to the emergency room for stitches after a fall. They kept her for observation for several hours just in case she had a concussion. One of the items they were watching for was vomiting. They eventually leave the hospital and a few minutes later she vomits so they rush back to the ER. Rather than treat it as a continuation of the prior visit being she was only gone for 15 minutes, they treated it as a whole new separate event to bill for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies