Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Not sure what the point is for this posting. But, what is a 'normal' white American? That is pretty loaded. I think a better way to put it is to say that there are good people and bad people. There are good Christians and there are bad Christians. There are good Muslims and there are bad Muslims. Etc...

I feel like I am teaching a kindergarten class but from many of the postings here, we need to lower the grade. LOL
I think the point is that "normal white America" could have done a better job of speaking out against prejudice and bigotry, instead of letting it slide when they hear such things. Now my parents, born during early WW2, did teach me not to prejudge others, although it was often hard at times given the enormous income gap falling largely along racial lines. IMO, this is at least as much of a class/income/education/occupation issue as much as a racial one....without denying that black persons of similar status in all other regards often do have a harder time of it, even to this day.

Another part of the equation is that a lot of whites (especially traditionalists) have a naïve belief that racism is all but subdued due to the Civil Rights acts, Political Correctness, etc., and that the general culture has changed enough over the past 50 years simply because the entertainment and news media especially feature blacks and other minorities in a positive light more.

It's just one complicated mess that is tough to extract ourselves from. But keep trying to we must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I think the point is that "normal white America" could have done a better job of speaking out against prejudice and bigotry, instead of letting it slide when they hear such things. Now my parents, born during early WW2, did teach me not to prejudge others, although it was often hard at times given the enormous income gap falling largely along racial lines. IMO, this is at least as much of a class/income/education/occupation issue as much as a racial one....without denying that black persons of similar status in all other regards often do have a harder time of it, even to this day.

Another part of the equation is that a lot of whites (especially traditionalists) have a naïve belief that racism is all but subdued due to the Civil Rights acts, Political Correctness, etc., and that the general culture has changed enough over the past 50 years simply because the entertainment and news media especially feature blacks and other minorities in a positive light more.

It's just one complicated mess that is tough to extract ourselves from. But keep trying to we must.

How is the income gap whites fault?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I love articles like this. They drive thousands of people out of the democratic party and warm them up to Trump.
yes indeed..

Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post

Thank you. I understand. My parents were also born between 1940 and 1945. They never taught me hatred or to ever look down on anyone based on the color or religion, etc... Although, I had family that lived in the poor, inner city hoods. I recall my mother asking my cousin if she was treated better in school b/c she was the only white girl in her class. Even as a child, I felt that was wrong. Not that I thought my cousin should be treated badly but that she should be treated similarly to her other poor, but black, classmates. This cousin ended up getting degrees at Dartmouth, Harvard, and MIT so she did very well for a girl that grew up in poverty. Maybe she did so well b/c she had certain advantages (on top of being brilliant - of course).

But I get it. This naive belief may have been solidified with the election of Obama. Despite the crap he had to go through that the previous other 43 white presidents did not have to endure.

I now live in a very diverse area and we all get along. I like it and couldn't imagine living anywhere where I hated my neighbor b/c they did not look like me.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In case normal white Americans aren't aware, it's your fault.

'White supremacists by default': How ordinary people made Charlottesville possible

Blame President Trump for his tepid moral response. Call the neo-Nazis and white nationalists thugs. Fill your Facebook and Twitter accounts with moral outrage.

But the tragedy that took place in Charlottesville this month could not have occurred without the tacit acceptance of millions of ordinary, law-abiding Americans who helped create such a racially explosive climate, some activists, historians and victims of extremism say.

Many of the white racists who marched in Charlottesville were condemned because they openly said they don't believe in integration or racial equality.

But millions of ordinary white Americans have been sending that message to black and brown people for at least a half a century.

They send it with their actions: They don't want to live next to or send their children to school with black or brown people, historians say.

I ain't white, but this is ridiculous.

There are good and bad white people.

There are good and bad black people.

Tacit acceptance created a racially explosive climate. Hogwash.

In other words, if you ignore the extremists, it's your fault.

If you deal with the extremists, you become one of them, and it's your fault.

You can't win with these people.
I'm not white either and have recently adopted the mantra:

"Quit f'ing with white folks".

If CNN, the MSM, the Left, etc think the bulk of minorities are foaming at the mouth to hang white people because of any and all personal problems they may have... they're crazy.

We all live, work, and play with white folks. I think we would know if the majority of them were plotting our demise from their basements. They just want to get by like everyone else.

This article...SMH...damn.

Please, quit f'ing with white folks.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
CNN just never stops peddling their poison.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:23 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
America gets n trouble for its Apathy, denial and complacency. There are some who are grateful, patriotic, committed and passionate about keeping our core values alive in America. But so many don't watch news, don't know their neighbors, do not speak to the neighbors, only point fingers at anyone not like them and only care about their own back yards... Eventually like the maze .. . Some break out.

Last edited by tinytrump; 08-25-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How is the income gap whites fault?
Speaking of certain whites already adults during the 60s or afterward, it's not so much directed at blacks specifically as it is against low income people in general - independent of race, although it disproportionately affects long-oppressed minorities. In a nutshell, it has to do with the overreliance on the "bootstraps" mythos. If you just work hard enough, you'll get ahead. However, that's true less often (regardless of race) than we tend to think.

There's a lot of things - intangible ones - that have to be just right in order to have a culture that enables most people to get ahead. Scandinavia and Australia actually have more class mobility than the US does.

First, there has to be a culture that accept many different types of people, to the point that they won't be discriminated against (even unconsciously) for, say, a job or a loan on account of ethnic identifiers (surname, given name, whatever). A name like Halle, Zoe, and Tamera is much more likely to be accepted for an interview than Shenequa, Vashawn, Moesha, and such.

Second, a lot of class mobility comes from lower income people (by background, if not their actual family assets) "marrying up". It's easier for light skinned people to marry up than for dark skinned people (regardless of race). Even so, I will be the first to admit that it's very hard for a very poor person (even a white woman) to marry even an upper-middle class white man.

Third, a lot of parents have to work two jobs in order to make it to even 'break even' (i.e. income = expenditures, including taxes). Again, while not directly related to race, this makes it harder for even parents who do care about education to actually be around their children in their formative years.

Fourth, not all people have the same intrinsic abilities. Some talents lend themselves to skills in higher demand than others. Not everybody can be a professional, a STEM field, a nurse, an accountant, or highly skilled at operating or repairing sophisticated machinery. That means some people have greater ability to "bootstrap" themselves than others.

Fifth, and leading from the third point, not all areas have equal access to certain skills training - especially when elem and 2nd-ary education get their funds mainly from local property taxes. Now yes, there are going to be students who do get in the 85th percentile or higher in all subject fields despite poorly funded schools, but for the most part school funding (quality of textbooks, talented teachers, digital tech,etc) are correlated with school district funding. That puts poorer school districts at a permanent disadvantage in practice. So decreasing the quality gap, I think, will have to mean more reliance on at least state funding per pupil than the current system.

Sixth, with all these factors combined, it is clear that 'threadbare' services for the poor make it very hard to create a 'culture of achievement' beyond 'achievement' at the low-paying job. Lots of upper middle income people I grew up with certainly say high school and even college as just one perpetual party despite their privileged backgrounds; even as I saw people from working class and poor backgrounds focused on school and achievement.

There's much more than I can say, but the point is that it's frankly oversimple to take the Nike "Just Do It" slogan as some kind of magic spell that can cure 90% of personal problems.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not white either and have recently adopted the mantra:

"Quit f'ing with white folks".

If CNN, the MSM, the Left, etc think the bulk of minorities are foaming at the mouth to hang white people because of any and all personal problems they may have... they're crazy.

We all live, work, and play with white folks. I think we would know if the majority of them were plotting our demise from their basements. They just want to get by like everyone else.

This article...SMH...damn.

Please, quit f'ing with white folks.
As a white man, thank you for saying that. We're all in this together as you said just trying to get by.

My favorite lyrics from an old band called the Clash;

"Some is rich, and some is poor
And that's the way the world is
But I don't believe in laying back
Sayin' how bad your luck is"

Last edited by ColoradoOnMyMind; 08-25-2017 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Charlottesville was caused by four extremist groups coming together and fighting each other. Only fault there were the groups. Only real victims were the two killed police officers. Everybody else should have stayed home and minded their own business. Demonstrating is a choice and you put your life on the line when you do this type of dangerous activity. I write letters to people who have the power to do something about a problem. I wish others would do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies