Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 12:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

That isnt the only issue. liberal media(which the liberal posters here will parrot) is hoping that there arent many technically minded people watching this who actually know whats going on.

1. dns is locked and prohibited from being transferred currently.
2. the data from the site itself has been moved or deleted
3. status of backups of the site is unknown.

even if the data is still out there on a server somewhere, as long as no dns record is pointing to it and no one knows the current ip of the host it wont get accessed anyhow, effectively censored from the Internet.

Now if the data -is- still out there on another one has to wonder how long itd take to get indexed or webcrawled by robots from google and such, but those crawlers can be coded to exclude data as well.
Icann changed some of their policy late last year and they're now locking accounts for 60 days when the contact information has been changed. So if Stormfront got the letter telling them their site is being removed, and they changed their contact information from an @stormfront email address to something else - the account has a 60-day transfer lock on it prohibiting them from moving it from one hosting site or registrar to another.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the lock that the site administrator controls through the hosting provider.

Also, just because data doesn't appear when you go to the site doesn't mean it's been deleted or moved. Think of it this way, if you don't pay for renewal of hosting or renewal of the domain name, the content of the site is hidden from public view but it still exists and has to (I believe by law) for 30 days.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:32 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yes, because every country with hate speech crimes are terrible places where average citizens are being targeted and suppressed.
Indeed. It's amazing the things that Britons are arrested for.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Eh the usual dodge...
"Take it up with courts" I asked your opinion, dont hide under its skirt.
You say stormfront losing its hosting site is the free market at work and applaud it. I agree with you.
Now why cant you apply the market consistently to the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who want to decide who they serve or dont serve?
As you are I am sure perfectly aware the bakery was in violation of a state law.

We may well get some closure as the USSC has agreed to hear the case next term.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:40 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
I don't know what people think they are acheiving. This is just going to incite more hate.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This is extremely troubling if you value free speech.
Pffftt... Stormfront and what it represented had nothing to do with valuing free speech. Shutting down a hate-site is not "opposing free speech."

And what of the 2-faced right-wing response to this?

They protect bakeries and other companies that refuse to serve gays or Muslims because of "religion," but they scream in horror when a different company decides to shut down a right-wing extremist propaganda site that falsely advertises itself as "news." Seems more than a wee bit hypocritical.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Free speech laws apply in a government context. The hosting company is a private business and can refuse them service if they want, just as there's no legal reason bakeries should have to serve everyone. So quit cryin'.
Thanks for mentioning the bakery case. Typical right-wing hypocrisy. They stand by the bigot bakers and their misuse of "religion" to justify hatred, but scream like little brats when a different company shuts down one of their lie-spewing propaganda sites. Life's tough, righties - deal with it.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Eh the usual dodge...
"Take it up with courts" I asked your opinion, dont hide under its skirt.
You say stormfront losing its hosting site is the free market at work and applaud it. I agree with you.
Now why cant you apply the market consistently to the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers who want to decide who they serve or dont serve?
I have already answered you. When same-sex marriage with all legal rights appertaining thereunto was legalized and upheld by SCOTUS, gays assumed protected status. You cannot discriminate against them.

When the Nazis achieve protected status, businesses will have to serve them, too.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, then - You are in favor of restrictions on businesses to protect themselves...?
This is not black and white. I'm in favor of restrictions on business's under certain conditions, e.g. essential services. Resolution of a domain name is the most essential service there is for a domain. On top of that while this service is being provided by a private company it's not exactly a private service.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have already answered you. When same-sex marriage with all legal rights appertaining thereunto was legalized and upheld by SCOTUS, gays assumed protected status. You cannot discriminate against them.
That's incorrect.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
Free speech is always the excuse for those people to propagate hate speech. Honestly that site was a breeding ground for racists, neo nazis, the dark side of Christianity, and those crackpots with a massive blind hate boner for anything liberal.

Hate speech can easily snowball into a violation of civil rights, and after recent events it's a good idea to curb that crap before more people get hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
BUT MUH FREEZE PEACH

SJW GLOBALISTS CHEM TRAIL GAY FROG THOUGHT POLICE

HAIL TRUMP

The more this happens the better, I'm all for free internet but this stuff needs to be controlled. If people are gathering for violence using these sites they should be violating the ToS of any provider, and should be destroyed.

I want more of this.
once again i will admonish you to be careful what you ask for as you may just get it. ok stormfront got shut down, for now, and while that seems like a good thing, what happens when your favorite website gets shut down for what ever reason? are you going to have the same reaction?

are you going to say, "good such and such website got shut down, even though i went there a lot and it was my favorite site, its a good thing it got shut down". i seriously doubt it. i would bet that your reaction would be quite the opposite.

i dont like hate speech, in fact i despise it. i wish it would go away permanently. however that would require a change in attitude from everyone around the world, and that wont happen anytime for many generations, if ever.

you want to oppose these people, oppose them using your right to free speech, not by shutting down their right to free speech, because if you can do that, then someone can shut down YOUR right to free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies