Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Her opinion should carry a hell of a lot more weight than trump the draft dodger.

What happens to all the people serving now? Do you dishonorably discharge them and ruin their careers? What about the transgender veterans? Will their benefits be cut?

I never enlisted. And I am grateful for those who make the sacrifice and serve. I don't care what color, gender, religion, sexual orientation..they all deserve our respect and appreciation.
Nobody is saying her military service shouldn't be respected.

Her opinion, however, is just an opinion. It has nothing to do with her service in the military. Plus, not everybody in the military agrees with her, just sayin'. Whose opinion matters more? pog or grunt, officer or enlisted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No. She is just not a good debater. That's all.
She was not trying to 'debate' she was expressing her opinion and she did a pretty good job of it.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She was not trying to 'debate' she was expressing her opinion and she did a pretty good job of it.
well, her opinion is just an opinion then. Why is this even news? i thought she wanted to convince the rest of us why transgenders shouldn't be banned. (a debate is required) I guess I gave her too much credit. shrug.

All I am reading is

1. I served, he didn't, therefore, he knew nothing (logical fallacy)
2. me no like him IMPEACH (emotional talk)
3. profanity

Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
She's not very bright. Considering her position in the Navy, it's very likely she's still in either the active or inactive reserves. As such, she is still subject to the UCMJ and can be called upon active duty to be punished for violations of the UCMJ. Members of the US Military do not have the freedom of speech civilians enjoy. By using her position as a military veteran as well as being the daughter of a military veteran who is now in politics she has put the spotlight on herself in her saying negative things about the commander in chief of the military. If the JAG officials wish, they can bring her up for these statements. Publicly saying negative things about members of Congress and the President is a violation of the UCMJ. Some military officers were charged for this during Bill Clinton's time as president. She hastily posted out of anger and did not choose her words carefully. An intelligent veteran in such a high profile position knows how to walk the fine line between being critical without being disrespectful to the US President. Many enlisted have had to learn this when speaking to and about officers they hate and don't respect. We have to show respect for the rank they hold while being critical of the person who holds the rank.
So they court martial veterans for expressing their opinion now? That's news to me, but before I pass judgement on the veracity of your claim how about providing a few examples? And an anecdote about active duty officers during the Clinton administration is not an example.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
well, her opinion is just an opinion then. Why is this even news? i thought she wanted to convince the rest of us why transgenders shouldn't be banned. (a debate is required) I guess I gave her too much credit. shrug.
All I am reading is
1. I served, he didn't, therefore, he knew nothing (logical fallacy)
2. me no like him IMPEACH (emotional talk)
It's news because she's the daughter of a Trump cabinet member, why should I even have to tell you that? Remember when Bush's twin daughters were arrested for underage drinking in 2001? That was front page news for a few days.

And she's right Trump is a draft dodger he knows nothing about the military and the tragedy is that he lacks the intellectual curiosity to find out.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
So they court martial veterans for expressing their opinion now? That's news to me, but before I pass judgement on the veracity of your claim how about providing a few examples? And an anecdote about active duty officers during the Clinton administration is not an example.
That is not what the poster posted.

He posted

she is still subject to the UCMJ and can be called upon active duty to be punished for violations of the UCMJ.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It's news because she's the daughter of a Trump cabinet member, why should I even have to tell you that? Remember when Bush's twin daughters were arrested for underage drinking in 2001? That was front page news for a few days.

And she's right Trump is a draft dodger he knows nothing about the military and the tragedy is that he lacks the intellectual curiosity to find out.
Okay, fair enough.

I don't think I need to tell you that her parents chose to stay quiet. Many people served in the military also support a transgender ban. Their opinion should also be respected. How about just allowing the military to figure things out. Seems more productive this way.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,188 times
Impeach him already for what exactly, I would ask her.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That is not what the poster posted.

He posted

she is still subject to the UCMJ and can be called upon active duty to be punished for violations of the UCMJ.
That's not correct, read this:

(2) A member of a reserve component may not be ordered to active duty under paragraph (1) except with respect to an offense committed while the member was:
(A) on active duty; or
(B) on inactive-duty training, but in the case of members of the Army National Guard of the United States or the Air National Guard of the United States only when in Federal service.​​

https://www.thebalance.com/punitive-...e-ucmj-3356861

Old 08-28-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
That's not correct, read this:

(2) A member of a reserve component may not be ordered to active duty under paragraph (1) except with respect to an offense committed while the member was:
(A) on active duty; or
(B) on inactive-duty training, but in the case of members of the Army National Guard of the United States or the Air National Guard of the United States only when in Federal service.​​

https://www.thebalance.com/punitive-...e-ucmj-3356861
What is not correct?

That poster posted

can be called upon. (key words) active duty (keywords)

I don't think he is saying a veteran is subject to the UCMJ. I think you just want to say your last word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies