Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,662,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So we've all heard the hatred for the press from conservatives. It's a biased left-wing propaganda tool, doesn't report the news fairly, etc.

My question is simply: for those of you criticizing, what fair and reliable sources do you get your information from? Please share the specific sources that can be trusted. Links are great.
Thanks.
First... calling people names and making false accusations is not the way to win people over.
Second.. they accuse us of things that we know is not true, since we know that they are lying, why would we believe anything else they are selling?

That should explain why we get our news anywhere but the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,046,420 times
I would call myself more of a 'media' skeptic, than hater. Anyway, I use the real clear...com series of tabs to peruse information and news from a variety of sources. I find drudge also useful for that purpose. It is difficult not submitting to confirmation bias in selecting what I read, much less put truck in, but all of us have the same blind spot. Be honest, all of us are subject to confirmation bias.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,923,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I would call myself more of a 'media' skeptic, than hater. Anyway, I use the real clear...com series of tabs to peruse information and news from a variety of sources. I find drudge also useful for that purpose. It is difficult not submitting to confirmation bias in selecting what I read, much less put truck in, but all of us have the same blind spot. Be honest, all of us are subject to confirmation bias.
Exactly. It is difficult to get past that bias.

But I do think it is dangerous to sell everything that you don't agree with as 'fake news'.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:37 AM

51,616 posts, read 25,673,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Even though they lean to the Left a bit with more negative than positive Trump reporting and their Polls had Hillary winning in a landslide with no chance of a Trump win Nov. 8, Fox News does give both sides and so that's where I get most of my news.
Finally, someone states where they get their news.

Thank you.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 AM

24,368 posts, read 22,978,526 times
Dig on the internet and decide for yourself whats believable and what, if any, agenda the source might have. You do the same with the MSM and what the government tells you.
You'd be amazed at what ordinary citizens can dig up and the facts they uncover. If you stuck to the MSM for the news, you'd be woefully ignorant.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,209,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Even though they lean to the Left a bit with more negative than positive Trump reporting and their Polls had Hillary winning in a landslide with no chance of a Trump win Nov. 8, Fox News does give both sides and so that's where I get most of my news.
Fox News leans to the left? What, they aren't just praising Dear Leader all day, every day? That's your idea of left leaning? Maybe it's just realistic, there doesn't seem to be much that's positive to say about Trump.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,424,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Dig on the internet
Which web sites?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM

34,174 posts, read 18,477,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
In other words, facts are meaningless to you. AP and Reuters are very well respected worldwide.
But they still spout left wing ideology. The NYT is "respected" worldwide also, yet are far left. No?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 AM

34,174 posts, read 18,477,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
There is certainly a valid reason people see Trump cultists as dumb.
So calling people "cultists", and "dumb" is a sign of intelligence? Or is it just belligerent, and jealous?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:41 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not just about sources... it's a desire for the truth. Anyone can find stuff that supports what they want to hear.
Well, that's funny. "The truth" isn't necessarily what someone wants to hear, but heck, it is easy on both sides to find :stuff that supports what they want to hear".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies