Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 08:42 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Read the book. Actually, most of the white men of the town ARE portrayed as being Klan members. Rhett is a rare exception, not because he was an advocate of the rights of the former slaves, by any means, but because he believed the Klan was hot-headed and stupid.
He was also against the War, and knew the South would lose, and be destroyed. He was the voice of reason. He only joined the cause when he knew it was lost. A romantic gesture from the author, but not very practical, but heroes rarely are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm not so sure about that, although I can see that view point. She certainly was not the kindest person, and she was a "user" of men, and also cruel to them until Rhett, because ultimately she needed him. However, she never gave up, and while I didn't "like" her, I did admire her will, and determination.

Though one can certainly admire Scarlett's will, determination, and scheming ways with various men, the movie ends with her saying, "Where will I go? What will I do?" when Rhett leaves and frankly, doesn't give a damn.

This is not women's empowerment.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-27-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Though one can certainly admire Scarlett's will, determination, and scheming ways with various men, the movie ends with her saying, "Where will I go? What will I do?" when Rhett leaves and frankly, doesn't give a damn.

Nor is sitting at home doing needlepoint while your husband is off on a KKK raid to protect you.
OK, I am not saying I totally agree with you, but I think the book/movie does reflect the reality of the time. Should we censor it, and ignore it, and it's message? The message was the South as a society was over, and it paid the price for secession. Scarlet was a symbol, warts and all.

I do think she is a strong female character, with flaws. Remember, the typical female character of the time was often a shrinking violet. Scarlet was certainly not that. Also, take into consideration Oliva DeHavilland's character. A strong, yet righteous woman. The movie has two women as CENTRAL characters. They are the heroes of the film, and book in many ways.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Sure it does. If you do a bit of research you'll find that this theater has shown GWTW every year for the past 34 years.
Last show was 8/11. Charlottesville was 8/12.

The theater claims they received complaints after the last showing on 8/11 to now.

Very interesting timing.

Could be blind panic by the owners.

But you've opened a can of warms by stating "insensitivity" to the majority population (Memphis is 64% black) as the reason to pull the film.

People are now watching...including the Left.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:56 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Quit talking about the plot.

It's insensitive.

Spread your hate speech elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm not so sure about that, although I can see that view point. She certainly was not the kindest person, and she was a "user" of men, and also cruel to them until Rhett, because ultimately she needed him. However, she never gave up, and while I didn't "like" her, I did admire her will, and determination.
She was cruel to him too. Always lusting after Ashley, who was in no way her type.

And Melanie was the ONLY PERSON who truly stuck by her, even though Scarlett couldn't stand her most of the time.

Isn't it ironic that Olivia de Havilland is the ONLY member of the main cast, probably the ENTIRE credits-listed cast, still alive?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
People are now watching...including the Left.
Well they're not watching Gone with the Wind. They can't at this theater at least. Their CHOICES are now becoming limited to those that disagree. What other of our CHOICES are becoming limited, or will become limited? Is this freedom?

My freedom to view a Confederate statue, or flag is becoming limited. The reminders of the past are becoming limited. I never liked limits to my freedom. Do you?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i'm blaming trump for all this.

This wouldn't have happened under obama. Heck, there would be a race war if statues were coming down during obama.

Trump killed the Lost cause!

FDT!
Obama would have had sympathy with the conflicted. He was always having trouble with who he was, white or black, American or African. He had problems with white people and his white side of the family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBzDb8UB8yA

Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Read the book. Actually, most of the white men of the town ARE portrayed as being Klan members. Rhett is a rare exception, not because he was an advocate of the rights of the former slaves, by any means, but because he believed the Klan was hot-headed and stupid.
Funny, I thought this discussion was supposed to be about the MOVIE version. As was the editorial linked in the post I was responding to.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_recess View Post
quit talking about the plot.

It's insensitive.

Spread your hate speech elsewhere.
lmao!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies