Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

If it were up to me, they'd get handed out for free.

As long as they don't fly on any municipal or government buildings, I don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly.

I'm tired of listening to closet bigots try to pretend their interest in the rebel flag is because of "history." It's a laughable ruse; whatever the Confederacy once represented is irrelevant, since what it means today is bigotry and hatred of non-whites and other minorities. Nobody believes for a moment the angry, ignorant bigot who think General Lee was a character in the Dukes of Hazard is hanging a rebel flag from his jacked up pickup truck because he values the "history" of it. We know what that flag represents - bigotry.
Wow, you're quite the bigot yourself. The flag has no objective meaning. It means different things to different people, and it is wrong for you to impose your meaning on others.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
The civil war and slavery is nothing but history to me (my ancestors were all in Europe at that time). My feeling is that that was then, what was right then we've corrected and made it wrong now, and we no longer believe in slavery or any one race being "supreme" over another. That being said, I personally see the Confederate flag as no longer being a relic from the past but instead being a new symbol of political correctness gone mad. I think I'll buy one for that reason alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So you know nothing about history, let alone current events. You know what they say about leaving no doubt...
There's room for more?

https://standrewspolaris.org/st_andrews_cross.html

"The most common symbol for Andrew, however, is the cross in the form of a “X”, known as a Saltire cross, because according to tradition he was crucified on a cross of that shape, having claimed he was not worthy to be crucified in the same manner as our Lord.
The national flag of Scotland features a white Saltire on a blue field, and the official cross of the Eastern Orthodox Church, placed on the top of their spires, is formed by two horizontal arms and a third, slanting arm symbolic of the St. Andrew’s cross representing the tradition that the apostle was the first missionary to take the Gospel message to the Russian people."

Old 08-27-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, give it a rest.

Nobody is trying to take away the Civil battlefields or museums.

Nobody is trying to remove the topic of slavery from the history books.

The only thing that is being done is that we're no longer placing statures of traitors around our government buildings and thus honoring them, and some companies have rightly decided to stop selling the flag of a traitor nation.

Don't worry - as long as the far right exists and longs for the 1850's, you'll have plenty of reminders of slavery because they won't let anyone else forget what they considered the "good old days."
Quote:
The only thing that is being done is that we're no longer placing statures of traitors around our government buildings and thus honoring them, and some companies have rightly decided to stop selling the flag of a traitor nation.
food for thought ... What If America Had Lost the Revolutionary War?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
When in doubt, always pull up a pic of some misguided Oreo to demonstrate how much the symbol of racism and white supremacy is accepted by all.
That works:

Hillary Staffer Triggered by Confederate Flag on Boat Saving Black Flood Victims

could drive sales ...

Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
If you want to show your support of the KKK by flying their flag, go ahead, it's a free country. It shows awful taste, though.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 AM

459 posts, read 375,727 times
Yeah, it's just in bad taste. I'm shocked whenever I see one and I'm in the south

Old 08-28-2017, 05:06 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you want to show your support of the KKK by flying their flag, go ahead, it's a free country. It shows awful taste, though.
if the KKK decides to fly the standard US flag, will that magically make it 'theirs' too, and therefor tasteless for any normal American to fly?

Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 AM

459 posts, read 375,727 times
Wonder what the percentage is of true racists flying the flag versus others who try to pass it off as southern heritage

Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You fly one, you support that the country engaged in 300 years of slavery, 100 years of segregation, and all the loser white nationalists today. It's that simple. That is what it stands for, and if you are so petty that your whole moral compass is based on upsetting your perceived political opponents, you are a failed human being.
That's what it would mean if you flew one, because that's how you see it. Others see it differently and will have other motivations if they choose to fly one of those flags.

This is a big problem many people on the left have. A complete inability to see things from the other side's perspective. They think their negative spin on their opposition's motives are actually their opposition's motives and therefore see them as horrible human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies