Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times

Advertisements

That's a long way to march for a problem that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Update:
Activists Face Rain And Security Threats As 10-Day March Against White Supremacy Continues | HuffPost

http://www.cville2dc.us/press-charlottesville-dc

Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Black people pray on people in their local area or mostly blacks the most. The most "racist" criminals by far are Asian American criminals. Asian criminals nation wide specifically go out of their way to rob and steal from other Asians, just look at California, Minnesota and Massachusetts for examples of this. Even places with a minuscule Asian community are getting targeted just because of their race. Black criminals as far as I know in general as well as White and Hispanic criminals just target whoever is in their area and their are examples of either of those groups targeting a certain race(usually their own) over other races.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
This is SO well composed, thank you for taking the time.

LOL I am all about dressing up for church but next to those folks (also attended a Jabberwock -was invited- and O.M.G. what a classy crowd, I am sure I stood out and was the object of ridicule because my dress in no way compared) I looked like one of their domestics I am sure. I was likely one of the least accomplished in the congregation which included a surgeon, school administrators and professors and more of that ilk.

I cop to classism; it took years of trying to help the poor and marginalized to break down my lofty ideals and soft heart.

My very first experience w/poor whites was the 3yr I spent in Armpit, NC. I was horrified, these folks really do live like a Flannery O'Connor story except add meth to the plot. Sickening.
Other than Natives and Asians I have now personally dealt with poor folk of all races and I am repulsed by and angry at them all.

Q for you that will seem sarcastic but is truly not; if all you state is so, why are we inundated with data/images to the contrary? Oh I'll add, the only black folks I have encountered who didn't speak like the rap vids were at that church, with maybe a handful of exceptions. The exceptions (a neighbor in VA comes to mind, really nice career military family and currently, my kid's typical-nice-young-man BF) all being folks with jobs and living solid John Q kinda lives.
For me it is the opposite all the black people I talk to speak regularly but I do occasionally meet those who speak in Ebonics and those who speak with a southern drawl so thick it sounds like another language.
I have met lots of black people who will speak in Ebonics for no reason or with other black people or in order to seem tough but they can all speak regular English and it comes out when they aren't speaking with other black peoples or not trying to act tough, like for example in School or at the Workplace.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Black people pray on people in their local area or mostly blacks the most. The most "racist" criminals by far are Asian American criminals. Asian criminals nation wide specifically go out of their way to rob and steal from other Asians, just look at California, Minnesota and Massachusetts for examples of this. Even places with a minuscule Asian community are getting targeted just because of their race. Black criminals as far as I know in general as well as White and Hispanic criminals just target whoever is in their area and their are examples of either of those groups targeting a certain race(usually their own) over other races.
Huh?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It will be like Sherman's March to the Sea. I feel sorry for towns along the way -- you know what happened during Sherman's March.

I doubt the same people will be walking the whole way. A new busload will be dropped off every few miles.
What are you talking about? This is probably going to be a peaceful march.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
So no violence yet?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
So no violence yet?
No. Disappointed? Some of the marchers have been there since the beginning, and some of them have been from local groups that have joined in for a portion of the march. There have no problems at all with the marchers, even on Tuesday when traffic was awful due to back-to school day. Jeebus, some of you people would find any excuse to ***** about anyone who chooses to legitimately protest against white supremacy and neo-Nazi groups and their beliefs. Are they hurting you? No? Then shut the heck up!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
This is SO well composed, thank you for taking the time.

LOL I am all about dressing up for church but next to those folks (also attended a Jabberwock -was invited- and O.M.G. what a classy crowd, I am sure I stood out and was the object of ridicule because my dress in no way compared) I looked like one of their domestics I am sure. I was likely one of the least accomplished in the congregation which included a surgeon, school administrators and professors and more of that ilk.

I cop to classism; it took years of trying to help the poor and marginalized to break down my lofty ideals and soft heart.

My very first experience w/poor whites was the 3yr I spent in Armpit, NC. I was horrified, these folks really do live like a Flannery O'Connor story except add meth to the plot. Sickening.
Other than Natives and Asians I have now personally dealt with poor folk of all races and I am repulsed by and angry at them all.

Q for you that will seem sarcastic but is truly not; if all you state is so, why are we inundated with data/images to the contrary? Oh I'll add, the only black folks I have encountered who didn't speak like the rap vids were at that church, with maybe a handful of exceptions. The exceptions (a neighbor in VA comes to mind, really nice career military family and currently, my kid's typical-nice-young-man BF) all being folks with jobs and living solid John Q kinda lives.
Due to the history of racial stereotyping in this country. Blacks have been portrayed via media and entertainment by a dominated white majority owned press and entertainment industry as idiotic caricatures, uneducated, unable to speak, lazy, criminally prone, and a host of other negative traits since the 18th century.

This is something embedded in our country and the culture of our nation - to view blacks as inferior to whites.

It is why I mentioned earlier the fact that this is not something that blacks can cure. No matter how many of us speak and write well (which again a majority of us do and I'll note I find it astonishing and sad that you and others think otherwise) there will be people who automatically consider us inferior to whites and other groups of people in this country. It is a psychological issue IMO. For whites, I feel they need to cure themselves of white supremacy ideology not black people.

I'm more concerned about the fact that too many blacks also think they are inferior. Luckily they are much easier to sway from that opinion because blacks mostly know other black people and if you ask them "how many people in your family/community don't know how to speak well" they will actually think about it and realize that how ridiculous that thought was/is in the first place.

I do a lot of volunteerism with black youth/young adults (mostly older teens to early 20s) and all of them have been inundated via our mainstream culture with the idea that we, as blacks are "less than" other people. The fact that I see this in black youth means that this ideology has fully permeated our greater American society IMO. Luckily us blacks are aware of the impact that this can have on our youth, not all of us, but a significant amount are aware of it, and so we are better able to combat it in our community. Whites in my experience are less likely to realize that their own youth see blacks as inferior to whites - and again, I mean no harm by my comments to you - but the fact that you keep implying that black people are not likely to have a majority of us speak and write well, is telling to me that you may be subconsciously or consciously participating in this sort of ideology yourself and probably passing it along to your children as well. When a black youth tells me the same thing that you stated - that they wish more black people could speak and write well - I ask them about that. How many blacks do they know who don't speak or write well. Do they speak/write well? How about me and their parents/grandparents/cousins, friends at school, etc. Then they realize that what they believe is ridiculous and they stop believing it. So it is easy to reach them. As a black person, I cannot reach you on it because you probably don't know many black people and are only basing your opinion on the very limited interactions that you've had in your life with black Americans. I don't really worry about changing white people's minds about us because to me it is more important to tackle this issue with black youth. FWIW I also do provide mentorship with white youth of the same age groups and they are similar to the black youth. They also are easier to sway from that biased view of blacks because a majority of them I've worked with have been adopted by or live as foster children with black families and so they can also be asked the same questions and respond the same way a black youth will in response to said questions as they have an in depth knowledge of living in a black family and with black people. Luckily the ones I've worked with who were foster children in particular had decent foster parents who wanted the best for those kids and they realized that and appreciated that someone who just happened to be black, took an interest in them and helped them do something positive in their lives.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I hope they hire some good crisis actors to make it interesting and to have some video drama. Maybe watch " Fletch Lives" for the scenes of the KKK for inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies