Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Not all the statues are memorials and not all the statues had honorable intentions when they were built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:34 PM

57 posts, read 51,587 times
Default Exposing the Real Truth

The Democrats are the ones who had put up those statues. Their modern representatives should go take them down. Segregation, continuing slavery, the Jim Crow laws all come back to the Democratic Party. The Party never told you that in grammar sch.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:35 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90266 View Post
The Democrats are the ones who had put up those statues. Their modern representatives should go take them down. Segregation, continuing slavery, the Jim Crow laws all come back to the Democratic Party. The Party never told you that in grammar sch.
And who benefits by undecorating the town square?

Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is quite frustrating to argue with people who persist in ignoring the obvious. Anytime you go to an underclass shelter or residential area you see lots of babies. When you read about the horrors of flight from war in Somalia you hear about families hauling heavily pregnant women and a multitude of babies. There may well have been a statistical decline in fertility as some poeple have moved from poor to middle class.

That does not mean that the problem is solved. There are still plenty of unraised children in the ghettos of America.

So are you now admitting that subsidies have nothing to do with high fertility rates...?

Poverty is associated with high fertility rates, primarily because those in poverty stricken populations here in American and in foreign countries like Somalia have less access to birth control/contraceptives, mostly due to not having money for them or access the reproductive healthcare centers (thanks to the conservatives for forcing many clinics to shut down in "the ghettoes" in particular. Where I live our Planned Parenthood center, which was downtown, closed due to our GOP state representatives doing everything they could to force unreasonable regulations on them. PP gave out condoms and nearly free BC to men and women. I used them in metro Atlanta when I was in college).

You stated below earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Other population numbers would be increasing far less in the absence of subsidy. In the U.S. AFDC, the SNAP program and the ACA are among such subsidies. Other countries have other subsidies and international aid features into the mix. So we are both lowering our fertility to take into account the fact that families can't afford to reproduce more and fueling other people's reproduction. And fostering their admission to the first world.

Sounds like not such a good idea.
I disagree with the black/bold. Poverty stricken nations have high fertility rates due to lack of contraceptives and money for reproductive healthcare services.

Again, countries with high amounts of subsidies and social welfare programs, like us here in the USA and in Western European countries, we have lower fertility rates than most African, Asian, and S. American nations. That is due to the fact that we have less poverty and more access to birth control, education, contraceptives, and healthcare.

Again, if whites in America want higher birthrates, they can forego the use of contraceptives and have more babies.

Ironically ACA contributes to low fertility rates. It provides full coverage for BC and reproductive health services for women. Take that away and you will have much higher birthrates in certain parts of the country.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So are you now admitting that subsidies have nothing to do with high fertility rates...?

Poverty is associated with high fertility rates, primarily because those in poverty stricken populations here in American and in foreign countries like Somalia have less access to birth control/contraceptives, mostly due to not having money for them or access the reproductive healthcare centers.
Not necessarily. Many African cultures have large families for three reasons. First, historically they haven't had access to good healthcare, so many of their babies didn't make it to adulthood. Secondly, a wife having a lot of babies is a sign of a man's virility. Lastly, the men don't like or want to wear condoms.

I heard something in passing on NPR last week about people in Somalia having an average of 12 children per family.

And other cultures from third world countries also believe in having big families. Carrying on the bloodline is very important to them. Maybe they are Catholic and don't believe in birth control. A couple of months ago, I worked with a temp worker whose wife was carrying his ninth child, I think that he is recently from somewhere in the Middle East though. I told him that I felt sorry for him. I also felt tired thinking about how much it's going to cost the American taxpayer to educate his nine children... if he stops at having nine of them.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Nice try. Dixiecrats. Look it up.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not necessarily. Many African cultures have large families for three reasons. First, historically they haven't had access to good healthcare, so many of their babies didn't make it to adulthood. Secondly, a wife having a lot of babies is a sign of a man's virility. Lastly, the men don't like or want to wear condoms.

I heard something in passing on NPR last week about people in Somalia having an average of 12 children per family.

And other cultures from third world countries also believe in having big families. Carrying on the bloodline is very important to them. Maybe they are Catholic and don't believe in birth control. A couple of months ago, I worked with a temp worker whose wife was carrying his ninth child, I think that he is recently from somewhere in the Middle East though. I told him that I felt sorry for him. I also felt tired thinking about how much it's going to cost the American taxpayer to educate his nine children... if he stops at having nine of them.

Religious and cultural practices of poverty stricken communities contribute to the "lack of reproductive healthcare and contraceptives" that I mentioned earlier.

So it is true.

Catholics in the USA and in Europe have low birthrates compared to Catholics in S. America for instance. That is because Catholics in the USA and Europe have more access to reproductive healthcare services and can obtain contraceptives.

Not sure why you "felt sorry" for the man for his big family. As you stated, many people like having big families. Also the Middle Eastern man is considered "white" on American forms so his 9 kids are boosting the white race here lol.

I have known quite a few families who have 6-12 kids. Most of them, like you said, have larger families due to them adhering to a particular cultural or religious background. Due to that they are "forced" to not use contraceptives so they have a lack of access as it would make them shunned in their communities if it were known. Due to having worked in public housing management, I've seen large families of Jews, Muslims, and Christians of every hue from the world. Also large Buddhist and Hindu families. Most of the people who had large families were refugees but many of them (the Jews and fundamentalist Christians especially) just adhered to a particular part of their religion even though the parents (mothers especially) wished they would stop having babies.

I have 2 kids. That's enough. I think most women don't want more than 2-4 at the most. Some do though just because they love children. But to claim that subsidies have to do with increased fertility rates is not true.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I actually did learn this is grammar school. It is actually very funny to me that many on the right today all of the sudden just learned this and actually think that the conservative Democrats of the 19th century and early 20th century are the same as the liberal Democrats of today.

Most of my family (I'm black) were Republicans in the mid 1800s and the early 20th century until FDR became president. He was liberal and was a Democrat. He started the change in the Democratic party. Until that time the Republicans were more liberal and much more progressive. FWIW IMO the last "progressive" Republican was Eisenhower. He would be considered not conservative enough by most conservatives today and probably a "RINO."

Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I disagree with the black/bold. Poverty stricken nations have high fertility rates due to lack of contraceptives and money for reproductive healthcare services.
Again it's very hard to argue with people who ignore the obvious and fight back with dubious statistics. Especially when their main thrust is to blame the GOP for everything. I don't think in the wealthier suburban high schools access to condoms or birth control is the reason that half the freshman and sophomore girls don't walk around pregnant. I think it has more to do with their having an agenda in life and understanding that going too far too soon can ruin everything. They understand that by having sex they are staking their future on the dubious loyalty and maturity of a horny 16 year old. The males likewise understand that the teen moms and babies might have legal recourse to ruin their lives.

By contrast in the underclass ghettos and the Third-World countries sex may be one of the few recreational outlets available. I somehow doubt that in the poor areas teens were scrupulously pursuing a positive, constructive agenda in life before the GOP yanked PP.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nice try. Dixiecrats. Look it up.
The Dixiecrat Party existed only for the 1948 election if I'm not mistaken.

Next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies