Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:50 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Seriously, is this just the pressure cooker view, or are we that far gone that people really believe all the conspiracy theories.

Coming to this forum anymore makes me think there is no hope for America. And blame is on both sides.

Mostly on the fringe-right for believing all the crap that is fed to them, but also to those on the left that can't seem to come up with simple solutions, and responses that don't just empower these people to think "see, I told you so".

Seriously, if you spend enough time here on CD-P&OC, you can get sucked into the vortex.
I know the feeling...

I just noticed I'm at my two year anniversary in this forum. The following are my comments/insights after two years:

1) I pay a visit to this forum for a time every morning after reading the news and my emails, as part of my morning ritual at the computer, until moving on with my day.

2) I don't come with much in the way of expectation other than to find where a subject is being discussed that interests me, in a forum where input is coming from all over the country. I like that aspect about the shared viewpoints from all over -- outside my own "bubble" -- that you can't get with family, neighbors, locals.

3) I can't imagine a way to consider time spent here when it comes to exchange of opinion about politics or religion as productive, although I have on occasion read information I thought worthwhile. I try to return that favor as often as possible.

4) Mostly I have been able to confirm by way of this forum that no matter the facts, reason and logic, people DO NOT CHANGE their core beliefs about political ideology as a rule. Something I came to realize a very long time ago and elaborate about in this thread I started when this forum proved out this truth as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-theory.html

5) Because my Cement Theory has been proven sound (despite some exceptions to the rule), I often ask myself why I bother to exchange opinion, "debate" about such issues. Mostly it's just entertainment. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make a good argument, and/or test my opinion. Because there are plenty conservatives in this forum, I can test my opinion(s) here better than most places. We learn more about the right or wrong of our own point of view by considering why others don't share that point of view.

6) I try not to let many comments in this thread bring me down, though I have read much in the way of perspective and opinion that could cause anyone to think there is no hope for America. In particular the reasoning and/or lack thereof that causes people to think and act the way they do. Like just about any vantage point, there is much that we can see as positive and hopeful and much that we can see as negative and backward. Here, we can also easily see how depending on one's level of bias, their confirmation bias is revealed, and clearly one man's good is another man's bad, so were does that leave us?

Leaves me with hopes that cooler heads and truth will prevail over the knuckleheads and nonsense, fingers crossed those we elect to represent our "better half" will do better than most in this forum can do when it comes to supporting right over wrong. Also leaves me out of time again this morning, so until tomorrow...

Here's to our better half!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
OP - In response to your question - I sincerely hope not!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No.

I think a lot of people post here exactly because they don't have anyone in real life to engage on these issues. I know that's the main reason why I'm here.

Also, I just like matching wits.[/QUOTE]
How has that been working out for you ?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Yeah..no. Most folks are too busy with life to devote a whole lot of time and energy to stuff like this.

Which is not to say they don't have opinions...they just don't care about the 'inside baseball' stuff.
The people who post here are the hardcore politics junkies. Not the average person trying to get young Johnny to his gender transition classes.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Seriously, is this just the pressure cooker view, or are we that far gone that people really believe all the conspiracy theories.

Coming to this forum anymore makes me think there is no hope for America. And blame is on both sides.

Mostly on the fringe-right for believing all the crap that is fed to them, but also to those on the left that can't seem to come up with simple solutions, and responses that don't just empower these people to think "see, I told you so".

Seriously, if you spend enough time here on CD-P&OC, you can get sucked into the vortex.
Comments on CD are not indicative of what the 'majority' of people believe.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
You must be new to the internet.

Forums like this are places where people with the most extreme views come to extoll their naive and/or vitriolic opinions in a place where no one can call them an idiot to directly to their face.

And their views are given equal weight since no one can cut them off mid sentence for being an offensive and/or ignorant moron.

So, yes, while I believe these views you read here are the actual view held by the individuals spouting them, they sure don't reflect the majority of Americans, most of whom don't really hold many views at all. At least not articulately or passionately.

Personally, annoying as it is, I wouldn't have it any other way. Free Speech and all that, you know.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The people who post here are the hardcore politics junkies. Not the average person trying to get young Johnny to his gender transition classes.
Gawd..I sure hope that's not the average!

The transgender for kids thing is where the left loses me...I think it's child abuse.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Gawd..I sure hope that's not the average!

The transgender for kids thing is where the left loses me...I think it's child abuse.
I kid. Dont quite think we're there yet. At least outside of a handful of states.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Posters on forums like this tend to be nuts from both sides of the aisle.
Well, you're here.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:19 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
No and neither is what you see on TV. I hear the country is so divided but if you actually go out and interact with people you will see the divide is not so great or prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies