U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

17,086 posts, read 11,586,310 times

Advertisements

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I remember being astonished and filled with gratitude when watching coverage of Mexican trucks driving into Louisiana filled with relief supplies and aid workers. They were members of the Mexican military operating temporarily out of Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. It was part of a larger aid operation that lasted for approximately three weeks, officially ending on September 25th with a small ceremony conducted by the Mexican consulate, after which the soldiers broke camp, folded their flags, and drove home.

So here's my question: should Mexico offer aid this time around, do you think our current administration will accept it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 AM

5,002 posts, read 2,142,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I remember being astonished and filled with gratitude when watching coverage of Mexican trucks driving into Louisiana filled with relief supplies and aid workers. They were members of the Mexican military operating temporarily out of Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. It was part of a larger aid operation that lasted for approximately three weeks, officially ending on September 25th with a small ceremony conducted by the Mexican consulate, after which the soldiers broke camp, folded their flags, and drove home.

So here's my question: should Mexico offer aid this time around, do you think our current administration will accept it?

This is a great story..totally overlooked..about Katrina.

As for now..I doubt they would offer..and Trump would probably decline.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 AM

7,611 posts, read 3,942,306 times
I agree. After Trump repeatedly "dissing" Mexicans and hounding them to pay for the Wall, I doubt they're real eager to help us out with our natural disasters. What a surprise.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,744,157 times
I doubt Mexico would offer to help the way Trump is demonizing them and I REALLY doubt Trump would accept.

Really, if there's any federal aid going to East Texas, the whole gang of Texas Republican Reps should kindly resign. They railed against disaster relief for past storms, such as Sandy and Katrina. They claimed "government was the problem". Let's see now if they're begging for govt. assistance.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM

37,464 posts, read 17,743,841 times
I would be disappointed if they didn't offer because of Trump. That wouldn't be cool. Because someone is an idiot doesn't mean we all have to be idiots.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM

17,086 posts, read 11,586,310 times

Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM

8,844 posts, read 4,177,990 times
Mexico has already offered aid for Harvey.

Probably not the best time for trump to be complaining about NAFTA and Mexico paying for the wall.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:24 AM

37,464 posts, read 17,743,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Probably not the best time for trump to be complaining about NAFTA and Mexico paying for the wall.
Canada and Mexico are Texas' biggest trading partners and Trump this morning decided to slam them. Up Mr. President you might want to talk to the folks in Texas before you interfere with their economy right now.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 AM

42,135 posts, read 38,067,762 times
Any "aid" from Mexico would be symbolic, big deal. If they really wanted to help they'd take back 11 million citizens willingly.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 AM

15,376 posts, read 9,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Most of it was probably symbolic -- a drop in the bucket -- but of course, the lamestream media will seize the opportunity, and the Snowflakes and SJWs will swallow it whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies