Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoot looters on sight?
Yes 132 51.76%
No 112 43.92%
I'm too wishy-washy to have an opinion. 11 4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Great. If you see someone taking your TV blow them away. I am sure that will make your day if not your century. I am sure your god says those how steal your TV should die.
What would you do if I broke into your house and took your TV minus a public police force due to a natural disaster consuming their resources?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,482,550 times
Far as contractors and shoddy workmanship goes, they carry hefty insurance policies and face hefty consequences for frauding customers.
Unless they operate without a license and I don't know off the top of my head whether that is allowable for if you are in the business to make money you need a license whether here in Florida or back in NY...

Better have more than a 6 shooter if you want to get rid of shoddy contractors... maybe then you'll embrace the drum magazine or belt fed... *shrugs*

Why stop there?
What about some injustice suffered by medical malpractice? Are you going to shoot a doctor and their nurses? Or the pharmacist that filled a script on a drug the doctor prescribed that lead to an untimely death or had irreversible effects? Or the understaffed rehabilitation/retirement home?
What about lawyers whom you've paid big bucks to represent you because you can't represent yourself for whatever reason, and loses your case?
How about the pizzeria that charged you 30 bucks for a huge pizza but came out horrible? Well, if that's the case, don't move to Florida. There's no such thing as good pizza in Florida...

That's not how it works... you're trying to equate looters whose only out to steal to a personal injustice... the difference is you welcomed a sub quality contractor to do repairs over someone forcibly entering your "home" and stealing your possessions.

I've done roofing and framing work when I was a teenager and I don't ever recall the boss badgering a customer or just walking in doing work and taking money or possessions by force... If there was a discrepancy, the boss having pride in his company would make right by the customer rather than have a long drawn out battle in court...

Far as polluting goes...
Are you going up to Schenectady to shoot up the GE building for dumping PCBs in the Hudson?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,478,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Far as contractors and shoddy workmanship goes, they carry hefty insurance policies and face hefty consequences for frauding customers.
Unless they operate without a license and I don't know off the top of my head whether that is allowable for if you are in the business to make money you need a license whether here in Florida or back in NY...

Better have more than a 6 shooter if you want to get rid of shoddy contractors... maybe then you'll embrace the drum magazine or belt fed... *shrugs*

Why stop there?
What about some injustice suffered by medical malpractice? Are you going to shoot a doctor and their nurses? Or the pharmacist that filled a script on a drug the doctor prescribed that lead to an untimely death or had irreversible effects? Or the understaffed rehabilitation/retirement home?
What about lawyers whom you've paid big bucks to represent you because you can't represent yourself for whatever reason, and loses your case?
How about the pizzeria that charged you 30 bucks for a huge pizza but came out horrible? Well, if that's the case, don't move to Florida. There's no such thing as good pizza in Florida...

That's not how it works... you're trying to equate looters whose only out to steal to a personal injustice... the difference is you welcomed a sub quality contractor to do repairs over someone forcibly entering your "home" and stealing your possessions.

I've done roofing and framing work when I was a teenager and I don't ever recall the boss badgering a customer or just walking in doing work and taking money or possessions by force... If there was a discrepancy, the boss having pride in his company would make right by the customer rather than have a long drawn out battle in court...

Far as polluting goes...
Are you going up to Schenectady to shoot up the GE building for dumping PCBs in the Hudson?
We are talking disaster recovery. Contractors will often claim bankruptcy. This is a game in disaster recovery. Firms get created to address the issue but pay a firewall on suits. If you ever actually went through a disaster you would already know this.

As far as your "roofing experience" well that is ancectodotal.

I bought a house that went under a major hurricane,
'
The house had a 50 year warranty on the roof that was replaced due to the hurricane. Within five years the warranty was useless because the company went out of business. The reason they went out of business was the material they used was never tested for Florida conditions and was breaking down.

This is complete fraud. Cost me way more than a TV.

This same story will play out in Houston. But people like you will not call them thieves. You will call them business men.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM

33,862 posts, read 16,906,563 times
Protecting property using force is legal in Texas.

Some looters, no doubt, may end up properly educated on the law for the first time.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Great. If you see someone taking your TV blow them away. I am sure that will make your day if not your century. I am sure your god says those how steal your TV should die.
God is irrelevant, according to his book I'm going to hell so I'll make the best of the time I've got now before I get there. I serve myself. Not him.
Per the law down here which I posted quite a few pages back... Any threat to life or property. Whether that property is my TV or my Rolex or family heirlooms.

Will it make my day? Nope.
Will it make my century? Nope.

Nothing about shooting in self defense is glorious contrary to what you fools believe, we don't touch ourselves at night to the idea of blowing someone away.

Be realistic. In an event like what had happened occurred how quick are the police going to arrive to your becking call? Were you born with a police officer issued to you to protect your items? I wasn't.

Wait for a natural disaster to strike. 911 will play you the world's smallest violin.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
God is irrelevant, according to his book I'm going to hell so I'll make the best of the time I've got now before I get there. I serve myself. Not him.
Per the law down here which I posted quite a few pages back... Any threat to life or property. Whether that property is my TV or my Rolex or family heirlooms.

Will it make my day? Nope.
Will it make my century? Nope.

Nothing about shooting in self defense is glorious contrary to what you fools believe, we don't touch ourselves at night to the idea of blowing someone away.

Be realistic. In an event like what had happened occurred how quick are the police going to arrive to your becking call? Were you born with a police officer issued to you to protect your items? I wasn't.

Wait for a natural disaster to strike. 911 will play you the world's smallest violin.
Personally,

If someone was entering my home and I had loved ones in their KI would should first and ask questions later. If I and my family were not in the domicile I would not shoot. That is how I understand the lords commandments. How are you serving god or your fellow man because someone stole your TV.

People seem to demonize petty theft but justify corporate malfeasance.

It seems we hate the purpetrator that stole the TV theft but we condone the theft by the businessman. Is this racist? Perhaps.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
We are talking disaster recovery. Contractors will often claim bankruptcy. This is a game in disaster recovery. Firms get created to address the issue but pay a firewall on suits. If you ever actually went through a disaster you would already know this.

As far as your "roofing experience" well that is ancectodotal.

I bought a house that went under a major hurricane,
'
The house had a 50 year warranty on the roof that was replaced due to the hurricane. Within five years the warranty was useless because the company went out of business. The reason they went out of business was the material they used was never tested for Florida conditions and was breaking down.

This is complete fraud. Cost me way more than a TV.

This same story will play out in Houston. But people like you will not call them thieves. You will call them business men.
Woe is you.

So are you going to go hunt every last one of them down due to your injustice?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Personally,

If someone was entering my home and I had loved ones in their KI would should first and ask questions later. If I and my family were not in the domicile I would not shoot. That is how I understand the lords commandments. How are you serving god or your fellow man because someone stole your TV.

People seem to demonize petty theft but justify corporate malfeasance.

It seems we hate the purpetrator that stole the TV theft but we condone the theft by the businessman. Is this racist? Perhaps.

Your morality has no bearing over the law.

White black yellow brown orange green gay straight bi trans. Doesn't matter. They all leak red. Equal opportunity life and home defender. Far from racist.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Woe is you.

So are you going to go hunt every last one of them down due to your injustice?

Not woe is me. I will not hunt the con artists as I will not hunt the looter. Woe is you that has not center. If you believed in Jesus you would not seek such immediate justice. If you did not believe in Jesus then you believe in a vigilante justice where if anyone wrongs me I can kill them. Regardless of how they wrong me. Remember you said taking my TV justifies death. Not sure how many Christians would agree.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
How about stealing gas out of your gas tank in your only car you use to get to work?

We are starting to see some stations run out due to no deliveries.

Can I have your gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.