Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Thanks for the replies. If the US goes to war with NK/China what effects do you think it will have here in the USA. Will there be losses? Can NK hit us with a missile or two?
Extremely doubtful. Our missile defense systems are strong, we have a large navy, and, let's face it, North Korea (so far) isn't exactly demonstrating that their missiles can go that far. I'm not losing any sleep worrying about this, and you shouldn't be either.

If China were to start lobbing real missiles at the West Coast (instead of cyber-attacks), then we might have something to talk about. But, it's not in China's interests (right now) to do that. So again, I'm not losing sleep about the possibility of China lobbing missiles at us any time soon.

I think everyone should always have an emergency kit in their home. But, enough food, water, medicines and supplies for your family and pets to survive on for a week or two is always a good idea to have on hand.

I'm not talking about a "war kit." I'm talking about a common sense kit. Floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, blackouts happen.

First rule all good boy scouts learn is be prepared. Again, that's just common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Listen to something like the podcast hardcore history blueprint for Armageddon. It covers world war I. Its a description of a completely avoidable war.....that wasn't. Of one incident with repercussions throughout the world.

I think we ignore that risk at our own peril. And the answer is.....expect a lot of dead people. The lethality of modern weapons is VASTLY higher. If nukes are used, we could see millions dying in a hour. And understand that once that starts happening, its easy for a side to refuse to surrender.

What will I do? Hunker down with my store of food and water. I recommend everyone have a large amount of both. If im killed by a nuke it wont matter. But otherwise? It will matter a lot.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
As one of the oldster posters I can still recall that in the 50's and early 60's it was common at least in some neighborhoods to build an actual concrete bomb shelter in the back yard complete with electricity, radiation air filters and a substantial stock of canned goods and water. And of course the famous duck and cover drills in school that would have been tragically inadequate if a nuclear weapon was dropped.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
As one of the oldster posters I can still recall that in the 50's and early 60's it was common at least in some neighborhoods to build an actual concrete bomb shelter in the back yard complete with electricity, radiation air filters and a substantial stock of canned goods and water. And of course the famous duck and cover drills in school that would have been tragically inadequate if a nuclear weapon was dropped.
Yep. I don't remember much of my elementary school years, but I do clearly remember hiding under my school desk with my hands over my head, wondering what the heck that would do when the A-bomb hit. I even had a few nightmares about it.

Luckily, I'm now old enough so that I don't worry too much about stuff like this any longer. If the A-bomb finally hits, it'll be out of my hands. I'll do the best I can, but if it's curtains, it's curtains.

Frankly, I think the odds of being killed from being run over by a terrorist or shot to death by some crazy mass muderer are probably higher than dying from a N.K. bomb.

As I said though, it is just common sense to have an emergency kit -- water/food/medicine/supplies -- stashed for easy access if your family needs it. Not so much because of the possibility of war, but for events like floods, earthquakes, fires, etc.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
And if I'm correct?
Then you can write a book.

Call it, "They Should Have Listened To Me!"

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Then you can write a book.

Call it, "They Should Have Listened To Me!"

No fair! I'm already working on that book.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:26 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
And if I'm correct?
If you have real concerns, the first step is to educate yourself on the topics of preparedness and self-sufficiency:

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/

Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
No fair! I'm already working on that book.
Well, maybe he could title his, "Me too!"

Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well, maybe he could title his, "Me too!"

Or maybe, "They Were Wrong!"

Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
How To Prepare For War
Have a good breakfast to prepare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies