Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yep.

Government loves rigging winners and losers for all of us.
And neither party wants to lose Florida, where sugar is still king. And that Fanjul money can come in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Is this really some sort of secret?!?

I think I knew sugar, sweets, bread, pasta, and packaged processed foods were to be eaten sparingly by the time I was five (1979). I've never forgotten. But it's never been my place to tell anyone else how to do things.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:53 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,144 times
Sugar isn't bad in moderation, corn syrup is a lot worse, problem is that they put it in everything, I mean everything, pizza, cereal, bread, etc..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Sugar isn't bad in moderation, corn syrup is a lot worse, problem is that they put it in everything, I mean everything, pizza, cereal, bread, etc..
True...refined sugar is the real problem

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
More accurately, it's just more corporate welfare.
Fascism -

Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM

888 posts, read 889,591 times
Fat Al Gore may be jumping on this one to double down and diversify his global warming crusade wealth maker.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM

17,337 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Is this really some sort of secret?!?

I think I knew sugar, sweets, bread, pasta, and packaged processed foods were to be eaten sparingly by the time I was five (1979). I've never forgotten. But it's never been my place to tell anyone else how to do things.
Well, hate to tell you this but many Italians (in Italy) for the most part eat pasta almost every day in one form or another and have one of the world's highest life expectancy. They're also big on bread, yes white bread made from flour, made from wheat and just chock full of gluten. I used to live there and witnessed this for myself. In fact my grandmother who loved to eat bread all by itself as a snack and most definitely ate pasta every day lived to be 103

Last edited by marino760; 08-30-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,011 times
Nothing is "bad" in moderation. Good grief...for years they told us eggs are evil. Followed by meat. Then it was fat in the diet. Now it's trendy to be no sugar.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, hate to tell you this but many Italians (in Italy) for the most part eat pasta almost every day in one form or another and have one of the world's highest life expediencies. They're also big on bread, yes white bread made from flour, made from wheat. I used to live there.
Good for them. It remains that these refined simple carbs can turn into body fat rather easily, and can play havoc with the body's metabolic response.

Refined simple carbs including sugar are something I moderate significantly. At less than a month from my 43rd birthday I'm at 11-12% body fat.

My main point is that "the public is unaware" in the OP makes it sound like there's some secret knowledge hidden from the perception of the hoi polloi. I'm pretty sure "sweets are bad for you" wasn't some privileged information I happened to pick up as a small child.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Corn syrup is actually the larger problem.

It's more or less the same as sugar nutritionally, and in small doses is reasonably safe. The problem is that it's not consumed in small doses. It's one of the most common food additives. And it's cheap. The reason it's so cheap is corn subsidies; this allows it to be used as the sugar component in sodas, allowing soda sizes to increase dramatically without any real change in cost.

Corn syrup is also not processed in the body the same way cane sugar is. It has worse health side effects given the quantity most Americans [unknowingly] consume.

But tackling something that gets subsidies is not an easy task, so I don't see it being the "tobacco" of the 21st century, unfortunately. Maybe. There's still 80 years left in this century. Things could suddenly become ethical, I guess.
^^This. I have a condition known as SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth. I can't have high fructose corn syrup at all. The only sweeteners I can have are stevia and good old sugar. It's a pretty limited diet with exceptions made from time to time and with careful consideration. I don't know what I'd do without sugar since that and salt/pepper are about the only spices I can have. Moderation is the key to it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies