Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is taking groceries in a hurricane looting?
Yes 91 77.12%
No 27 22.88%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

It's stealing. Period.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Drumroll please...

And the winner is Mr. Dublin of no stated address.

That's the issue. People run with zero inventory because they can just run out to the store, until they can't.

Some mother with a newborn walking 5 miles to the closed grocery store because 2-3 days have passed after Harvey is a moron. Freezers are meant for more than ice cream and pizza, even after 3 days without power the formerly frozen food is still edible, then there are cans, and dried foods, and cereal (needs no refrigeration) with dried milk and bottled water, and instant soup, and a myriad of other things. Said mother should have had at least dried milk (or baby formula) for her Wheaties.

Anyone claiming taking food from stores a couple of days after some disruption because they're starving deserves everything they get, they're not even actually starving yet. Don't care if they have an infant, a dog, a 60lb tumor, or a raging crack addiction, they're idiots to not have sufficient supplies, food and water to last a week or two. Your survival is your responsibility, not the store down the streets, or the governments, or any of 100 different arguments for not taking care of yourself.
Thank you, as I said I learned the hard way after the Northridge quake of 1994. I had only lived in CA about 5 years at the time and never experienced anything like that.

No power for 3 days, couldn't drink the tap water, advised to not even take a shower. Not prepared at all. Thankfully all the neighbors pulled together and we helped each other out.

I don't have a never ending supply of food, but I do keep canned goods, cases of bottled water, flashlights throughout the house, never let the gas tank go below 3 quarters of a tank, etc.

You don't have to be wealthy to do this, every time you go to the store buy some canned goods and put them a side.

I don't think anyone should be shot for trying to feed themselves or a hungry child, what I don't get is not being prepared at all. Especially when you live in an area prone to hurricanes.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There are millions of urban and rural Americans who do not have internet access. Or elderly people that do not know how to use the internet. Millions more that do not own a computer or a smart phone.
This does not obligate their neighbor to help them. Survival is on the individual.

Prepare for it, and you'll likely survive. Outsource it to someone else and figure they'll be there to help when your life is in danger of some sort, and you'll likely perish.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:30 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
There are millions of urban and rural Americans who do not have internet access. Or elderly people that do not know how to use the internet. Millions more that do not own a computer or a smart phone.
Once again I presume they know they don't have the internet and can plan accordingly. You know that many places still take telephone or mail order too. Or do people have no access to phones or USPS either. There are even people in comas who can't do this, you want to wheel out them and say but what about the coma patients?

You know, about 100,000 years ago humans became the dominant species because of the organ we have in our craniums. Since then apparently we've lost the ability to both communicate with our neighbors and plan for times of difficulty. Makes me think that the human race is doomed, because no one wants to actually use their brains any more except to find excuses why they can't do and preparation for predictable difficulties.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Fair question. I think if it's for perishable food, it shouldn't be.
Can I start coming into your home to look for food that is about to expire in your refrigerator?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:39 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think if a nearby store is flooded and closed and all the stores nearby are closed I would not blame someone. If I was a single mother whose home is flooded, car destroyed, and can't go anywhere and has to feed her children. I wouldn't blame her.

What if it's not a store? What if it's a house? Why stop at food? Blankets, clothes, why not take what you "need".

Maybe mom should call for evacuation?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:41 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
whatever happened to that phrase "responsible adult?'

Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Of course it is looting. How would it not be? Its not your property,and therefore not your decision on whether it will spoil or not. The owner may well cook it all and feed the neighborhood before it spoils.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's stealing. Period.
I agree.

I do read where quite a few are saying it's not stealing and that the business's insurance will cover it. I'm thinking though that in order for it to be covered, doesn't an insurance adjuster have to go out make sure that all the items are inventoried for reimbursement through a claim? If all their inventory is taken, they won't be able to have it inventoried for the claim.

Anyone with experience with having an insurance claim for items stocked and destroyed in their store? I'm sure there must be someone out there that can provide first hand experience(s) on how that exactly works.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
You do know that there are people that exist who do not have cars, right? A mother may have done everything she could have to stock up before this storm, which had relatively short notice, with many trips to stores via bus or taxi, and still have run out of supplies, or supplies could have been contaminated or soaked in the flooding. Think of diapers. They are no good if they are soaking wet.
You have somewhat of a point, here is where you lose ground though.

We had horrific rains in CA this past winter, days and days of heavy rain. One week it poured non-stop for 3 days. My house got flooded, about two inches of water in my bedroom. So guess what I did? Everything was put on shelves. on the counter, etc. Got free sandbags from the fire dept and bought sand at Home Depot.

Well the rain continued and guess what? Water still came in, but this time anything of value or important papers were high up so the water didn't reach it.

You see you have to take some personal responsibility. You're right diapers are no good wet, so you store up in the top shelf of your closet or on the top or refrigerator.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies