Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I can't wait to see all of the right wing hypocrisy now on Hebdo.
It's a French magazine, and the French satire has always been much more savage than satire here.

Charlie Hebdo's stock in trade is controversial satire at it's most savage. The magazine doesn't choose sides, either; it savages all sides with some very offensive stuff that is intended to outrage somebody or other.

That's the French. They love to laugh at things people grow angry about. They always have. Punch and Judy, the puppets who do nothing but hit each other and yell over getting hit, is a French entertainment invention.

Charlie Hebdo is just a print version of a Punch and Judy show. If it offends us, so what? They don't give a damn. They offend someone with every issue.
Next week, it could be the Germans or the Italians. Or some French official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 06:01 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's a French magazine, and the French satire has always been much more savage than satire here.

Charlie Hebdo's stock in trade is controversial satire at it's most savage. The magazine doesn't choose sides, either; it savages all sides with some very offensive stuff that is intended to outrage somebody or other.

That's the French. They love to laugh at things people grow angry about. They always have. Punch and Judy, the puppets who do nothing but hit each other and yell over getting hit, is a French entertainment invention.

Charlie Hebdo is just a print version of a Punch and Judy show. If it offends us, so what? They don't give a damn. They offend someone with every issue.
Next week, it could be the Germans or the Italians. Or some French official.
As a Frenchmen myself i disagree. A small part of the population find this sort of mockery funny

Old 08-31-2017, 06:02 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Most of damage and death is Houston correct? I believe Houston is a purple state, maybe not right down the middle but it has put forth fairly liberal politicians.
Hillary carried houston easily.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:02 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Bare in mind people, in France, it's illegal to deny the holocaust. To a Frenchmen, seeing Americans waving Nazi flags and viewing themselves as defending America has got to be absurd. The Southern stereotype is obviously coming from that fact that those waving the battle flags of the Confederacy were keeping company among the neo-Nazis.

Charlie Hebdo is a satirical magazine, that predominantly goes after right-wing ideologies. They describe themselves as "far left," as well as being in favor or atheism and secularism. They also describe themselves as "anti-racist" and regularly attack France's National Front party.

The things to note:

1) very different culture and attitude toward Nazism and it's relationship to free speech
2) it's satire; the goal is to get a reaction
3) their political slanting should make clear what they will be targeting.

My opinion; meh. They got their reaction from others. I see no point in giving in to that.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
I don't see any in in this thread. Disappointed?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
As a Frenchmen myself i disagree. A small part of the population find this sort of mockery funny
That is a reflection of how it is here; a small part of the population likes the neo-Nazis.

Sounds like we are talking about different niche markets.

I don't find Charlie Hebdo funny either, but I would rather put up with them than our idiots who are throwing straight-arm salutes around.

I don't much care for the merry little band of anarchists who call themselves Antifa either. Hopefully, Charlie Hebdo will mock them soon.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Well, when inarguably degenerate and disgusting French communists inadvertently celebrate the flooding of the most multicultural city in the Western hemisphere (Houston), if not the world, whaddya gonna do?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Get upset over satire? Nah.
Though, I am upset when a nonprofit charity, like Charitable Humans, claims that they won't use their funds to help Texans because 'it's their mess' and Texans are "sociopaths" .. their charity status deserves to be revoked.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:15 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Every city is Democrat. She carried them all. She lost. People outside of metro areas finally woke up.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Which calls into serious question Charlie Hebdo's entire premise, not to mention the purported cosmic rationale for the flooding in Houston caused by Harvey.

That and the fact, of course, that thus far no Nazis have been reported drowned as a result thereof.

To be fair, Charlie Hebdo had to get some new writers after the unfortunate unpleasantness in 2015.

However, it appears that the hacks now filling the ranks at said publication are of a significantly lower intellectual caliber than their late predecessors, which engenders its own element of humor, when one thinks about it.

Heh, heh...heh, heh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies