Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
They have to hire X amount of people from each group, yes?

Diversity In The Workplace - Employment | Laws.com

So the employer is stuck with the man who is just going to sit on his thumbs all day and not lift a finger ... and they're going to pay him more than the woman, to do it ...

However, I have a question ... those who get paid more, what do their taxes look like verses their take home pay?

They don't.

A man that just starts at a job won't be paid more than a woman working more hours or in a higher position.
If they are they broke te law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Medicine isn't high paying? I must have missed the memo. More women than men are now entering medical school. A nurse anethetist and nurse practitioners can make into the six figures. The median salary for a physician assistant is also nearing $100K. Nurses who work overtime also have quite good salaries. These are growing fields with good income potential. Occupational therapists and physical therapists also make $80-85K, on average, which is not bad. Why are you acting like healthcare is by nature a low paying field, when it is not?
I never said it was low paying. My point is that women generally choose lower paying fields than men, and that's a significant part of the pay gap.

Quote:
A year after receiving their doctorates, the women in the study earned nearly a third less than the men. When the researchers controlled for the field of study, the difference shrank to 11%, and when they controlled for gender, marriage, and parenthood, it vanished, with childless women matching men in income. “This suggests the presence of children contributes meaningfully to the gender wage gap"
Gender pay gap explained by children and choice of field, study finds | Science | AAAS

Just quoting this one study for convenience, but there's a lot more evidence of this out there, and virtually none for discrimination being a factor.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Here is the issue with this. Many times women ARE NOT doing the same work. I work in IT. There are women on our staff that get paid the same as me but they don't do everything I do. They can't rack/unrack servers, pull wire, etc. How is that fair that they get paid the same but don't do any of the physical work that the job requires? So on the surface, it looks like they are equals to me, they are not but get paid the same.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
This is very interesting. So, the statistics above is from the United States Department of Labor, a government agency.

By saying that this is a debunked lie, you are actually saying that the U.S. Government is a liar.
Absolutely. It's a wildly misrepresented generalization, not a valid statistical conclusion. The only reason to continue publishing it as a fact is for the purpose of political machination, i.e., to lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hmmm, so does it follow then that the current government leader is also a liar and unbelievable?

I get so confused by stuff like this. It's like you're arguing with yourself.
Every government, every administration, all of them...they lie. They do it because they know (and are right 99% of the time) nobody will do the proper critical analysis required to call them out, and if they do, nobody will listen/hear anyway, since the lie already gained traction. So it goes with the "77 cents on the dollar" lie, the "1 in 5 girls in college will be raped" lie, etc.

The misuse of statistics, with maybe one person in 10,000 capable of understanding the rules for proving/disproving null hypotheses and basic logic, is the government's bread, butter and marmalade. Too many details are left out, and as Thomas Sowell found out when he tried to revise his study from the 80s and 90s where he slapped this nonsense down, the detailed statistics that would easily disprove this bunk are increasingly difficult t find as people are fearful to even gather them. The lie is taking on life of its own and preventing truth from being collected and disseminated. Why would those in power do this? Easy - it allows them access to more power.

But when economists do study this, and give attention to the details, it is a myth. Pure bunk. A political lie that just refuses to die.

Ask yourself one simple question - if paying women with the exact same experience, skills and education as a man to do the same exact job under the same performance criteria for 25-30% less than men was legal and commonplace, and companies compete with each other on revenue/profit/marketshare....why wouldn't every company hire all women for an across the board labor cost reduction? According to the myth, you can pay any woman at least 23% less than any man for the same or even harder work, so why would you ever hire a man, when cost (particularly labor cost) is the one part of your profit (competition) equation over which you have the most control? It would make no economic or financial sense whatsoever to pay a 30% premium for a job that you can pay 77 cents on the dollar for.

If that makes no sense, it shouldn't. That's why this whole thing unravels the minute you start giving it any sort of critical analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies