Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,453,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Cut corporate rate to 15%, repatriation of overseas cash and middle class tax cuts are what we need. Don't try to pass "revenue neutral" crap that just means someone is paying more so someone can pay less. Guess who will pay less? The people with special interests that purchase politicians

Repatriation? Do you understand what that is? You can cut US tax rate to fifteen percent and it will still not compete with places like Panama or the Caymans. People really need to educate themselves on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:37 PM

5,712 posts, read 2,161,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Repatriation? Do you understand what that is? You can cut US tax rate to fifteen percent and it will still not compete with places like Panama or the Caymans. People really need to educate themselves on this issue.
Yes, read the article before insulting people. A one time 5% tax on overseas cash will get it home

Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,802,519 times
I know much fuss is made about the tax rate, but how many actually pay the rate. There are so many tax deductions. Corporations like GE pay no tax at all.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:43 PM

5,712 posts, read 2,161,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I know much fuss is made about the tax rate, but how many actually pay the rate. There are so many tax deductions. Corporations like GE pay no tax at all.
Do you have anything to back that up? That GE pays no tax, at all

If so this is why we need to close loopholes

Old 08-31-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, read the article before insulting people. A one time 5% tax on overseas cash will get it home

I did. Maybe I am wrong or missed something. I always allow for that. Educate me

Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,802,519 times
Quote:
Do you have anything to back that up? That GE pays no tax, at all

If so this is why we need to close loopholes
GE Filed 57,000-Page Tax Return, Paid No Taxes on $14 Billion in Profits | The Weekly Standard

Exactly -- we need tax reform to close loopholes. That's for corporations and individuals.

Warren Buffet is famous for saying his secretary pays more tax percentage wise than he does. That's because of tax loopholes.

Trump claims he will clean that up. I will reserve judgement. While I question his ability on many of the issues at the federal level, tax stuff I think he gets. i think he and his Trump Corp. staff have learned how to work the system. He knows the reality...there are all kinds of lops and dodges, etc.

For us middle of the road kind of folks -- not so much.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
GE Filed 57,000-Page Tax Return, Paid No Taxes on $14 Billion in Profits | The Weekly Standard

Exactly -- we need tax reform to close loopholes. That's for corporations and individuals.

Warren Buffet is famous for saying his secretary pays more tax percentage wise than he does. That's because of tax loopholes.

Trump claims he will clean that up. I will reserve judgement. While I question his ability on many of the issues at the federal level, tax stuff I think he gets. i think he and his Trump Corp. staff have learned how to work the system. He knows the reality...there are all kinds of lops and dodges, etc.

For us middle of the road kind of folks -- not so much.

I totally agree. His pass through proposal is especially aborhernt. Basically would allow any business owner to claim their income at a 15 percent tax rate, lowr that thirmployees.

I mean if you are going to do that then every person in the US should be able to claim themselves as an LLC and get the same break.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 AM

981 posts, read 890,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
While I'm not opposed to tax cuts for the middle class, it's inherently dishonest to suggest that those things equate to job growth and higher wages. Those are largely left up to market forces, particularly when a party that [mostly] supports economic liberalism is the majority and more willing to give out tax cuts, which means that only demand will increase any of these.
Arent market forces things like increased demand? For our family tax cuts would have a big impact on what we spend wrt home improvement, car, clothing, and appliance purchases, vacations, etc. We pretty much had to cut that way back with the increased tax and health bills. If taxes were lowered wee ould definitely spend more and if this happened at large scale would definitely increase demand thus driving new jobs.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,855,613 times
The middle class has voted for war, why should they not have to pay for it?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM

981 posts, read 890,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I totally agree. His pass through proposal is especially aborhernt. Basically would allow any business owner to claim their income at a 15 percent tax rate, lowr that thirmployees.

I mean if you are going to do that then every person in the US should be able to claim themselves as an LLC and get the same break.
could not agree more. we also need some way to capture un or underreported cash revenue from businesses. i know so many people reporting about 50 percent of what they make, and what makes it worse is i had to listen to these people telling me i am not paying my fair share when i am paying well over 30 percent. the hypocrisy is endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies