Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

If some of you remember, the Cherokee Nation decided to strip its black members of citizenship in 2007 and go to a "blood only" policy after giving black descendants of their slaves full tribal rights in 1866.

I never understood why they did that, but they've decided not to appeal and comply immediately with the ruling.

Judge Rules That Cherokee Freedmen Have Right To Tribal Citizenship : The Two-Way : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 03:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I didn't know that the Cherokees had slaves, so thanks for the history lesson, and for sharing this good news.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 AM

No problem.

Just wondering why they got a bug up their butts all of a sudden in 2007 and decided to strip their black members. Hell, we're only talking about a few thousand people.

And yeah, Indians kept slaves like everyone else. I don't know if their relationship was anything like the caste system set up in Antebellum white slave holding homes, but they had slaves nonetheless.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
That's good. The African descendants had already began taking DNA tests which were revealing significant "Indian" blood though.

Considering that the Cherokee have predominantly white members with 1/2056 Native heritage, it was strange and seemingly prejudicial that they would automatically exclude those of mixed African background.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That's good. The African descendants had already began taking DNA tests which were revealing significant "Indian" blood though.

Considering that the Cherokee have predominantly white members with 1/2056 Native heritage, it was strange and seemingly prejudicial that they would automatically exclude those of mixed African background.
Actually, that explains it. Lol

Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I read it somewhere that, the largest group of African Americans with Native American ancestry is in Oklahoma, which used to be called "Indian Territory" many escaped slaves ran away there, today there are many mixed race black-Native tribe people.

This is what I read on another forum, don't know if this is true or not, so here it goes.

There were some individuals of legitimate and recognized Cherokee-Black intermarriage that were put on the Freedmen Rolls by default, simply because they looked "Black." This was nothing but racism, and it is preventing Freedmen descendants from enrolling, while at the same time a "White" Cherokee that has 1/512 degree or lower "blood" but can trace his "blood" gets a CDIB and blue card, no problem.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No problem.

Just wondering why they got a bug up their butts all of a sudden in 2007 and decided to strip their black members. Hell, we're only talking about a few thousand people.

And yeah, Indians kept slaves like everyone else. I don't know if their relationship was anything like the caste system set up in Antebellum white slave holding homes, but they had slaves nonetheless.
They had a bug up their butt a long time. 2007 was the year they acted on it.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I read it somewhere that, the largest group of African Americans with Native American ancestry is in Oklahoma, which used to be called "Indian Territory" many escaped slaves ran away there, today there are many mixed race black-Native tribe people.

This is what I read on another forum, don't know if this is true or not, so here it goes.

There were some individuals of legitimate and recognized Cherokee-Black intermarriage that were put on the Freedmen Rolls by default, simply because they looked "Black." This was nothing but racism, and it is preventing Freedmen descendants from enrolling, while at the same time a "White" Cherokee that has 1/512 degree or lower "blood" but can trace his "blood" gets a CDIB and blue card, no problem.
Yep. You see right through this nonsense.

I rep you so often, that I can't send you a rep point. But yeah, this is blatant racism.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They had a bug up their butt a long time. 2007 was the year they acted on it.
Apparently so. After what Lily just broke down in her post, it's pretty clear what's going on.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Apparently so. After what Lily just broke down in her post, it's pretty clear what's going on.
Anytime there is power or money involved people are going to "circle the wagons". I think it was around 2000 when black descendants of Jefferson, Hemings relatives, were finally officially recognized by the Jefferson clan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies