Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What I don't quite understand is why employers will give everyone a $4,000 wage increase when there is no impetus to do so, that's never happened in the past.
And it never will. That stupid, stupid idea is what happens when people internalize their own BS - in this case, "trickle-down" economy.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"one proposal under consideration"

There are TONS of proposals under consideration.

Come back when we actually have bill.
Yes its one proposal, and its not official as no final bill exists, however that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the proposals that are under consideration or have been released.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But if we can suspend belief for the first 3 or 4 years the plan is in effect we will get a $4,000 wage boost

What I don't quite understand is why employers will give everyone a $4,000 wage increase when there is no impetus to do so, that's never happened in the past. Employers increase salaries when they need to in order to recruit and retain workers, nothing in this conservative wet dream of a tax plan that I can see will increase consumer demand for goods and services. For my husband and I, the extra $1500-$2000 we will have to pay in taxes will mean that much less spending for us.
and yet everyday liberals on here(CD) will say if we go to singleplayer and get healthcare out from under the employers, that everyone will get a raise, because employers no longer have that bill, and that the employee will need the extra money for the healthcare, and they WILL get it(aka trickledown works)

so if I am reading this correctly...the two-faced liberals are saying trickle-down will work by taking the cost(healthcare) off employers, but it wont work by taking the other cost(taxes) off employers......why the two sets of glasses?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and yet everyday liberals on here(CD) will say if we go to singleplayer and get healthcare out from under the employers, that everyone will get a raise, because employers no longer have that bill, and that the employee will need the extra money for the healthcare, and they WILL get it(aka trickledown works)

so if I am reading this correctly...the two-faced liberals are saying trickle-down will work by taking the cost(healthcare) off employers, but it wont work by taking the other cost(taxes) off employers......why the two sets of glasses?
Corporate contribution to healthcare is already a cost on the balance sheet. I have no doubt that corporate America will try to score that as a windfall, it'll take legislation to keep that from happening. <shrug> So be it.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Defense spending is the one legitimate budget item of the Federal Government. The Constitution says one of the purposes of the Federal Government is to "provide for the common defense." We could argue about how much is needed, but it is my view that we should have the best trained, most powerful military, and the best weapons, including ships and aircraft, that money and technology can provide. "Peace through strength" is an undeniable truth.
Ok, so China's spending is about 140 bil, Russia - 70 or so, so how about we go from 800 bil to, say 200-300 bil, sounds good?

I just found a lot of money for paying down the debt, maybe even tax cuts that are paid for, for a change.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the GOP tax plan will be enormous tax breaks for the top 1 % and a few crumbs for the rest of us"

It must be nice to throw out false info all the time.
You mean like Trump does?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Ok, so China's spending is about 140 bil, Russia - 70 or so, so how about we go from 800 bil to, say 200-300 bil, sounds good?

I just found a lot of money for paying down the debt, maybe even tax cuts that are paid for, for a change.
the defense budget is smaller than its been in many years

...our military spending is right in line with everyone else

our CURRENT defense budget is only 3.3% of our GNP....china spends 4.1% of its gdp on military.......right in comparison with the rest of the world at 2-6%

france's defense budget is 55 billion euro...while their gdp is about 1.4 trillion (3.9%).....our spending is less than 600 billion with a gdp of 18+ trillion(3.3%).....so france actually spends MORE as a percentage of their gdp

defense spending as a % of GDP puts us at #29 meaning 28 other countries spend MORE than us on their military as a percent of their gdp

we spend LESS now than we did 30 years ago(adjusted for inflation) as a percent of our GDP

Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
It's a stupid suggestion both in appearance that the middle class is being screwed while the wealthy are getting cuts, and because it will disincentivize middle class saving.

But that is not the reason this proposal does not have a chance in hell of passing.

Wall Street is against it. Cabinet full of swamp creatures and case closed.

Wall Street furious over proposal to slash 401(k) limits | New York Post

Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the defense budget is smaller than its been in many years

...our military spending is right in line with everyone else

our CURRENT defense budget is only 3.3% of our GNP....china spends 4.1% of its gdp on military.......right in comparison with the rest of the world at 2-6%

france's defense budget is 55 billion euro...while their gdp is about 1.4 trillion (3.9%).....our spending is less than 600 billion with a gdp of 18+ trillion(3.3%).....so france actually spends MORE as a percentage of their gdp

defense spending as a % of GDP puts us at #29 meaning 28 other countries spend MORE than us on their military as a percent of their gdp

we spend LESS now than we did 30 years ago(adjusted for inflation) as a percent of our GDP
Our spending is not 600 bill. Also, military is one area that absolute size matters not relative to gdp. You can have tiny country spending 100percent if gdp, is not going to make them a threat.
I do not care if we spend less than some time ago. We don't need it and can't afford it. Last time I checked the debt is 20 trillion.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
According to the boys and girls over at the IRS, the average annual deferral is $1876, and the majority defer less than $2400. Looking further, it’s the upper middle class who contribute the most. The income band over 50 that defers the max and the catch-up contribution is skewed to the top. Tell me again how this hurts most Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies