Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
It wasn't stated why the adult was turned on, maybe he saw a very attractive ADULT female in a short skirt and the child caught him.
Come on, lets use some common sense here.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS.....SEXUAL ATTRACTION TO A KID. YOU SAID IT YOURSELF. ATTRACTION. TOUCHING IS A LEGAL DISTINCTION, NOT A MORAL ONE. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. SELF CONTROL IS NOT PART OF THE DEFINITION. THE MERE IDEA THAT A GROWN MAN IS SEXUALLY AROUSED BY A 10 YEAR OLD GIRL MAKES HIM A PEDOPHILE. THE IDEA THAT YOU ARGUE THIS IS EXTREMELY DISTURBING......SO MUCH THAT YOU MIGHT RECONSIDER ADDITIONAL POSTS IN THE LEGAL SENSE.
Bingo !!! Ding ding ding, you win the prize, thats just what I was thinking.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
You are far too emotional to use your wits, this is not sick, I am trying to have a logical discussion.
OH REALLY?
EMOTION MEANS NO WIT?
SEXUAL ATTRACTION TO A KID MEANS WHAT THEN??????

Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by TwiloMikeThe problem with paedophiles is that they prey on children because they abuse the natural trust children have in adults because children can't imagine why an adult (their parent) would hurt them.
Not all pedophiles prey on children, but the ones who do certainly violate children's trust (if the kids don't have sexual intentions of their own). I am bothered by the apparent blanket refusal to acknowledge that kids (pre-teens, tweens) are capable of sexual thoughts, desires, and actions. I remember playing doctor when I was 8, 9. I certainly had plenty of willing participants my own age. I know a handful of people who actually had intercourse at 12-14 (with their peers) for the first time. That's damn early but it tells us that not all kids look at sex as something that will hurt them. I didn't particularly lust after kids my own age- I wanted someone older. I don't know if I would have been able to handle sex with an adult but the desire was certainly there and so was the capability.

Quote:
Every adult knows that children aren't adults and that teenagers only act like adults because they aren't adults yet.
Sure, teens act like adults because they are well on their way to becoming adults. Teenagers have sex. Imagine that! Whether they have sex with their peers or people out of their teens doesn't make a difference to me: they're actively seeking sex and are doing it. I don't see where the damage would occur unless you consider adults' ability to manipulate teens (however that may be a legal issue of its own).

Quote:
Those who prey on young children know that they have to be careful, but those who prey on teenagers feel more 'safe' because they can claim that the victim did not look her true age.
But in both cases there is always intent, since a paedophile has to be cautious since he knows that his behaviour is not accepted by society.
Intent to harm or intent to have mutual pleasure without harm? I think that the distinction is relevant. A lot of things that are accepted by society don't make sense.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Your not familiar with the phrase prey on children? Its often associated with adults more often men then women who use the innocence of children, the trusting nature of them to sexually abuse them.
Depending on who uses the phrase "prey on children" it can mean a variety of things. Same thing with "sexual abuse". Not a clearly defined term.

Quote:
You must not have children because the thought of children being molested makes anyone with a soul, emotional. I have seen first hand how it destroys lives. I have a close friend from high school who was molested by her Father.
I don't have children but I adore children. I don't wish to see them hurt and at the same time I don't wish to see adults who didn't hurt a child be labeled child molesters. This is where honest intellectual inquiry devoid of emotion comes in.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
OH REALLY?
EMOTION MEANS NO WIT?

Apparently, in this case.

SEXUAL ATTRACTION TO A KID MEANS WHAT THEN??????
Sexual attraction to a child is pedophelia. I said a pedophile must exercise absolute control because we cannot arrest someone for their thoughts. I was trying to answer the question posed earlier and you jumped on that one sentence and assumed we were having an argument. What about my post was argumentative? I do not understand why you are upset and directing it at me.

Last edited by detshen; 03-16-2008 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Not all pedophiles prey on children, but the ones who do certainly violate children's trust (if the kids don't have sexual intentions of their own). I am bothered by the apparent blanket refusal to acknowledge that kids (pre-teens, tweens) are capable of sexual thoughts, desires, and actions. I remember playing doctor when I was 8, 9. I certainly had plenty of willing participants my own age. I know a handful of people who actually had intercourse at 12-14 (with their peers) for the first time. That's damn early but it tells us that not all kids look at sex as something that will hurt them. I didn't particularly lust after kids my own age- I wanted someone older. I don't know if I would have been able to handle sex with an adult but the desire was certainly there and so was the capability.

Sure, teens act like adults because they are well on their way to becoming adults. Teenagers have sex. Imagine that! Whether they have sex with their peers or people out of their teens doesn't make a difference to me: they're actively seeking sex and are doing it. I don't see where the damage would occur unless you consider adults' ability to manipulate teens (however that may be a legal issue of its own).

Intent to harm or intent to have mutual pleasure without harm? I think that the distinction is relevant. A lot of things that are accepted by society don't make sense.
I think you have said it all and placed yourself in a certain company with your statements. My suggestion to you is to find out what the law is before your next encounter just to make sure YOU avoid being jailed.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS.....SEXUAL ATTRACTION TO A KID. YOU SAID IT YOURSELF. ATTRACTION. TOUCHING IS A LEGAL DISTINCTION, NOT A MORAL ONE. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. SELF CONTROL IS NOT PART OF THE DEFINITION. THE MERE IDEA THAT A GROWN MAN IS SEXUALLY AROUSED BY A 10 YEAR OLD GIRL MAKES HIM A PEDOPHILE. THE IDEA THAT YOU ARGUE THIS IS EXTREMELY DISTURBING......SO MUCH THAT YOU MIGHT RECONSIDER ADDITIONAL POSTS IN THE LEGAL SENSE.
Quote:
"A man who is a pediphile must exercise complete self control"

WHAT?????? I mean.........WHAT??????????

DO YOU KNOW HOW THAT SOUNDS???? OR HOW IT COMES ACROSS?????

A PEDOPHILE HAS NO SELF CONTROL. BY DEFINITION.
The underlined and italicized is by me, for emphasis.

Do you need a dictionary to make up your mind whether "pedophile" has "no self control" in its definition?

The post I wrote, to which you responded in the top quote, was prompted by the bottom quote from you.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think you have said it all and placed yourself in a certain company with your statements. My suggestion to you is to find out what the law is before your next encounter just to make sure YOU avoid being jailed.
LOL No worries there: I'm not attracted to anyone younger than myself and I'm 29. Thanks for your concern, though.

What you bolded in my quotation is precisely the considerations that are made out of intellectual honesty and accuracy. You seem to have a problem with such considerations. Why?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
LOL No worries there: I'm not attracted to anyone younger than myself and I'm 29. Thanks for your concern, though.

What you bolded in my quotation is precisely the considerations that are made out of intellectual honesty and accuracy. You seem to have a problem with such considerations. Why?
I don't believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies