Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to forfeit 800,000 American job opportunities?
Sure, why not? We are generous. 46 34.07%
No! Are you crazy? 76 56.30%
I don't care. 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Even Diane Feinstein understands that DACA is shaky legally speaking.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein: DACA is on shaky legal ground - CNNPolitics
That was hilarious. Notice she didn't actually say it, even though Chuck Todd tried to get her to. But they know this is not something some Judge is going to overturn like they've been able to do with Trump's other issues.

Trump is forcing their hand. If they want to pass amnesty, they have to do it. Show the people congress can work together on something, just not something for the American people.

EDIT: I just watched the whole interview. She said she was open to attaching DACA to the Harvey bill? That would be a scummy thing to do. Yet further proof this is more important to them than issues facing U.S. citizens.

Last edited by katygirl68; 09-05-2017 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I would do it in a minute.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Immigration can be a controversial topic. We all want safe, secure borders and a dynamic economy, and people of goodwill can have legitimate disagreements about how to fix our immigration system so that everybody plays by the rules.

But that’s not what the action that the White House took today is about. This is about young people who grew up in America – kids who study in our schools, young adults who are starting careers, patriots who pledge allegiance to our flag. These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants. They may not know a country besides ours. They may not even know a language besides English. They often have no idea they’re undocumented until they apply for a job, or college, or a driver’s license.

Over the years, politicians of both parties have worked together to write legislation that would have told these young people – our young people – that if your parents brought you here as a child, if you’ve been here a certain number of years, and if you’re willing to go to college or serve in our military, then you’ll get a chance to stay and earn your citizenship. And for years while I was President, I asked Congress to send me such a bill.

That bill never came. And because it made no sense to expel talented, driven, patriotic young people from the only country they know solely because of the actions of their parents, my administration acted to lift the shadow of deportation from these young people, so that they could continue to contribute to our communities and our country. We did so based on the well-established legal principle of prosecutorial discretion, deployed by Democratic and Republican presidents alike, because our immigration enforcement agencies have limited resources, and it makes sense to focus those resources on those who come illegally to this country to do us harm. Deportations of criminals went up. Some 800,000 young people stepped forward, met rigorous requirements, and went through background checks. And America grew stronger as a result.

But today, that shadow has been cast over some of our best and brightest young people once again. To target these young people is wrong – because they have done nothing wrong. It is self-defeating – because they want to start new businesses, staff our labs, serve in our military, and otherwise contribute to the country we love. And it is cruel. What if our kid’s science teacher, or our friendly neighbor turns out to be a Dreamer? Where are we supposed to send her? To a country she doesn’t know or remember, with a language she may not even speak?

Let’s be clear: the action taken today isn’t required legally. It’s a political decision, and a moral question. Whatever concerns or complaints Americans may have about immigration in general, we shouldn’t threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us. They are that pitcher on our kid’s softball team, that first responder who helps out his community after a disaster, that cadet in ROTC who wants nothing more than to wear the uniform of the country that gave him a chance. Kicking them out won’t lower the unemployment rate, or lighten anyone’s taxes, or raise anybody’s wages.

It is precisely because this action is contrary to our spirit, and to common sense, that business leaders, faith leaders, economists, and Americans of all political stripes called on the administration not to do what it did today. And now that the White House has shifted its responsibility for these young people to Congress, it’s up to Members of Congress to protect these young people and our future. I’m heartened by those who’ve suggested that they should. And I join my voice with the majority of Americans who hope they step up and do it with a sense of moral urgency that matches the urgency these young people feel.

Ultimately, this is about basic decency. This is about whether we are a people who kick hopeful young strivers out of America, or whether we treat them the way we’d want our own kids to be treated. It’s about who we are as a people – and who we want to be.

What makes us American is not a question of what we look like, or where our names come from, or the way we pray. What makes us American is our fidelity to a set of ideals – that all of us are created equal; that all of us deserve the chance to make of our lives what we will; that all of us share an obligation to stand up, speak out, and secure our most cherished values for the next generation. That’s how America has traveled this far. That’s how, if we keep at it, we will ultimately reach that more perfect union.

-- Barack Obama

Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Ok go ahead. I doubt most celebs would put their money where their mouth is though and actually do it
Ok, can this post be saved? She said she's going to do it.

Reminds me of the celebrities who said they were moving to Canada... uhhh, oooh, uhm

Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
What's so wrong with sending people who are Mexican citizens back to Mexico. People always focus on the high crime areas of Mexico, but I bet their crime isn't any worse then parts of any big American City. People posting here make it sound like America is deporting Jewish people back to Nazi Germany in WW2.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM

292 posts, read 244,915 times
The most important question that the MSM never seems to bring up, Why did the parents of said dreamers not work towards getting their citizenship papers in order...for the whole family.

I work with a few people who started out in Houston as an illegal, and their opinion, which I consider worthy and valuable because they have "been there, done that"..... it is the gib me dats. As in Freebies.

Many times the parents are making enough under the table, as in tax free money, that if they claimed their incomes, even part, they might not be eligible for the food stamps, free or low cost medical care, low income housing, etc.

Oh, and free or very low cost college education.... and the minority status that helps place them in line ahead of an Asian- American...who is legal and might also be a first generation US citizen with much higher SAT scores and a resume that suggests due diligence and hard work thoughout all of their young academic lives.

We are paying for these people with our tax dollars, people who often do not feel any sort of thanks to their host country and what we are providing for them.

The teenagers in the pictures flipping off people, the guys old enough to be your grandfather grabbing his croatch at a La Raza rally. Lota respect there.

Complete disrespect of Americans...sorry, it is what it is, folks.

If, the tables were turned, trust me, you would not be allowed to act like this in Mexico, and their immigration policy is quite strict. Oh, and no gibs, sorry.

We should have the same immigration policy for Mexicans as the Mexicans have for Americans.

Oh ya, they would really love it if all our young, unemployed male millennial wanderers headed down to Mexico for the bar tending and hotel work... cost of living is low in Mexico, so you would likely have a few of the bigger "Chad types" probably do very well there.....why not?

Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I would do it in a minute.
"Would" do it? So what's stopping you? Put your money, and hour home and family, where your mouth is and house some illegals.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Is it just me or do we only have one POTUS at a time? I really can't get past the arrogance of his weighing in after he spent so much time praising Bush for not weighing in and after admonishing (rightfully so) Trump for weighing in before he was inaugurated. I personally don't like Trump, but Obama needs to respect the same courtesy he was given by the former POTUS when he was ushered into office.
I agree, I'm sure Bush didn't agree with a lot of things Obama did but he had class enough to stay quiet. Obama not so much. Democrats lost over 1000 seats during the Obama presidency but maybe he's hoping for more Democrat losses.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:55 PM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
I always chuckle when libs openly ( and hypocritically) call for defying their beloved state

Old 09-05-2017, 07:55 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
As much as I enjoyed Cher's music she is delusional. These feel good types are more than willing to be liberal with someone else's money or tax dollars. They surround their estates with tall walls or fences and hire armed security to protect them. What they really mean is that middle class America needs to suck it up.
How many hollywood types will take in and shelter illegals? How many has Obama taken into his personal home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies