Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to forfeit 800,000 American job opportunities?
Sure, why not? We are generous. 46 34.07%
No! Are you crazy? 76 56.30%
I don't care. 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 11:43 AM

62,403 posts, read 28,679,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What are you talking about. They grew up here and know the language and culture. It's the home they know. And now you want to take it away from them. Sorry, it's cruel and disgusting. We are supposed to be the land of the free. Trump has flipped flopped and lied.

What's cruel and disgusting is allowing these DACA's to benefit from their parent's law breaking and will put them in competition for jobs, resources, college seats and resources against Americans. It is also rewarding their parents for bringing them here illegally. Allowing them to remain here sets a precedence that all you have to do is drag your kids over the border and they will be home free.

Land of the free doesn't mean it's a "free for all". We still have borders and immigration laws just as other countries do. As I said before, they learned the culture and language of their homelands from their parents even though they may have adopted American culture also. They didn't lose their native culture by doing that. People often move to other countries and they adapt. These DACA's have the advantage of already knowing the culture and language of their homelands. Trump has not flip flopped or lied on this issue. He never said that he would allow these DACA's to remain here permanently. The flip flopping and lying would be if on Tuesday he extends DACA or allows any of them to remain here and become legal under certain circumstances. No way!

Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
An Obama deflection so early in the thread - in post #8.
Stating a fact is deflection?

Obama created DACA through abusing his executive power. The president cannot create laws - the congress does.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 AM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obama over stepped his powers with DACA in the beginning. He cannot rewrite Immigration laws. Congress should decide what is needed.

Maybe they'll use this to get Obamacare repealed. Tie it all to one Bill.
Thing is Congress doesn't want to repeal either DACA or ObamaCare so that's not very likely.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,069,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Stating a fact is deflection?

Obama created DACA through abusing his executive power. The president cannot create laws - the congress does.
It is a deflection if the point made is irrelevant.

And it is.

The origins of the law are not being discussed here. The OP made a post about celebrating the fact that Trump did not, to throw you a bone, do exactly what Obama did (the OP likely would have celebrated that too). Letting congress do it's job, as I said earlier, should not be celebrated. The fact that it is suggests that a large portion of Trump supporters seem indifferent to separation of powers and are instead interested with Trump's message exclusively and seeing Trump win.

This isn't a win for Trump. This is a win for America. The fact that it was even a possibility that congress wouldn't make the decision on this is a very bad sign.

And for what its' worth, you deflecting to Obama suggests that you may be on the same side as the OP, as in, separation of powers and respect for civic institutions is less important than the Trump agenda. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but people don't normally jump down the past presidents throat unless they're unwilling or incapable of criticizing the current president.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
In other words he has no idea what to do or is afraid his decision will bite him, not what I would call a real leader. The good thing to come out of this is Congress will do the right thing and leave it in place, and the far right can go back to whining about it.
No, in other words it wasn't Obama's job nor is it Trumps. It totally lays at the foot of Congress and it's about time they got off their overpaid arses and got to work...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Why are we celebrating the president letting congress do it's job? Isn't that what's supposed to happen? This should be viewed as mundane, not some kind of victory.
It's only celebrated when it's something that fits their agenda...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,121,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But that's the point. Allowing them to remain here would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration. Also, that's 700,000 jobs and/or college seats, military enlistments that should go to Americans. More drain on our social and natural resources also. One of my questions is, why would these DACAs want to remain here while their parents are deported? I thought not separating families was a big concern to illegal aliens and their supporters.
We don't have quotas for most immigrants. Spouses, parents, and children of US citizens are exempt from the quota requirements, and make up the lion's share of immigration to the US. Another problem Trump is ignoring.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,735,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
The desire to deport the offspring of people who entered the country illegally -- that desire comes from pure cussedness and nothing else. There's no benefit to legal residents. It's illogical and plain old mean spirited. If he goes through with it I hope some of those deported offspring go on to become outstanding contributors in some other country (that's hopefully not too hostile to the u.s.).
Illegals are a blight to this country. No one should profit off of an illegal act. I hope these criminals leave and never come back. It's illogical and mean spirited for them to stay. Unless you're in the Mafia

Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM

716 posts, read 390,586 times
Quote:
...Trump has not flip flopped or lied on this issue. He never said that he would allow these DACA's to remain here permanently. The flip flopping and lying would be if on Tuesday he extends DACA or allows any of them to remain here and become legal under certain circumstances. No way!
The racist will allow the kids and families to remain. His hostiy towards Mexicans not withstanding, he won't let them stay for humanitarian reasons, but rather only for crass political ones.

In the end this broken promise, like Mexico paying for his wall and all the others won't reduce your admiration or support one iota will it? A cult of personalities doesn't require results only fanatical followers...

Last edited by sd-bound; 09-03-2017 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,225,390 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't they identify with it? Their country of birth encompasses their native culture and language and they learned it from their parents. One doesn't lose their native culture just because they move somewhere else. Many of these so-called kids still have family members in their native countries also. Why don't you and yours get that? Kids should not benefit from their parents law breaking. Why would these DACA's want to remain here while their parents are deported? Would any of you answer that question?

that's why I was trying to explain to her that she doesn't get it.

When I was a minor, my brothers and sisters and I always had to go with my parents. It didn't matter if my parents move from town to town, state to state or my parents got a job in another country or we got deported back to the U.S.A.

Inhumane is to separate families.....if the parents broke the law and you are a minor you go with them back to your native country that you are a CITIZEN of that country.......how is that inhumane?

you think if I entered China illegally with my 5-year-old son and get busted 10 years later CHINA will deport me back to the USA and keep my 15-year-old minor in the Chinese system and courts away from me....Come on man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies