Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to forfeit 800,000 American job opportunities?
Sure, why not? We are generous. 46 34.07%
No! Are you crazy? 76 56.30%
I don't care. 13 9.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not MY words. It's the words of the U.S. Supreme Court.The ruling says outright that immigration officials can make the decision whether or not to pursue deportation. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.

Ken
Here's where you have an EPIC fail. This decision was made on a LAW (SB1070) passed by a dually elected State Congress not an Executive Order (DACA) done by the wave of a pen and so it does NOT apply to this situation at all. Presidents CANNOT MAKE LAW.

Once again a failure of a progressive mind trying to bend and twist something to meet their desperate wants and when that doesn't work? Well, the usual insults fly.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It was not rejected by congress as a whole as you stated. The Senate passed a comprehensive immigration reform bill that included the most stringent border security in the history of our nation and a path to citizenship for DACA and their parents. All those with criminal records or who arrived after a certain date would be immediately deported.
The bill passed the senate by a 68-38 bipartisan margin. in a republican controlled senate.
The Freedom Caucus in the house pressured Paul Ryan and wouldn't let him bring it to the floor for a vote in the House. If it had, it would have overwhelmingly passed the house and become law, as all Democrats and many establishment republicans were in favor of it.

No rejection by the whole, it was blocked by a few alt right rebels in the house and that is the fact. Passage of the bill was determined not by how many wanted it but by a partisan few who screamed loudest.
So, a compromise: Amnesty, in exchange for border security; border security, in exchange for amnesty! Sounds fair to me, but some folk wanted 'our way or the highway'.......!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, a compromise: Amnesty, in exchange for border security; border security, in exchange for amnesty! Sounds fair to me, but some folk wanted 'our way or the highway'.......!
How about no amnesty. The US does not owe a thing to anyone outside of our borders in this regard.

And they shouldn't get citizenship, they should get legal residency at most.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Umm, how it was placed into effect by the President was not legal and has not been adjudicated. Please break out your phony law degree and prove otherwise as you are also a "nobody on the internet" even if you attach some name.
Can't claim to have a law degree, and I'm not sure I'm tracking close enough with you to know you are referring to DACA specifically, but with respect to DACA anyway, I'm not sure the "jury is out on this one" yet...

The short answer is, the Supreme Court has yet to rule on its constitutionality, so calling it “unconstitutional” is presumptive. And while the program has vocal opponents, legal experts largely argue that the program is not only constitutional but based on commonplace practices.

You can see how this debate plays out in real time, here:

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/is-d...onstitutional/

You more the legal expert than these folks?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Here's where you have an EPIC fail. This decision was made on a LAW (SB1070) passed by a dually elected State Congress not an Executive Order (DACA) done by the wave of a pen and so it does NOT apply to this situation at all. Presidents CANNOT MAKE LAW.

Once again a failure of a progressive mind trying to bend and twist something to meet their desperate wants and when that doesn't work? Well, the usual insults fly.
Can we once again refrain from the insults in general? The failing mind is one that can't seem to make a point without always needing to frame their argument in the context of insulting those who don't share the same perspective or opinion. I am a progressive and loath the attempt to "bend and twist" the truth to promote an agenda! Almost as much as I get tired of the insults that are essentially the same sort of distortion of truth!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

Border security should never be held hostage by rewarding immigration law breakers in our country. It's not my way or the highway, it's what our laws state. Amnesty shouldn't even be on the table once again.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:

The President did NOT MAKE A LAW. You keep claiming Obama "made a law". What LAW is that? DACA is NOT a law. DACA is an Executive Action decision to follow what the Supreme Court decided - that immigration officials can make the decision whether or not to pursue deportation. That's a fact, whether you like it or not. Obama made the decision not to pursue deportation, Trump made the decision (maybe) that his administration will (maybe) pursue deportation. That's a decision each had a right to make.

Ken

Old 09-23-2017, 12:52 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Well it can't stay since it would basically render our borders moot. I'm for dealing with these so called "dreamers" in some way that's generous but I draw the line there, now and in the future. Combined with stronger border controls, end of birthright citizenships and chain migration we can probably afford to absorb part of this current group in some fashion.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
DACA will go as the house will not be able to agree!

We have a law for what's legal and what's illegal so no issues there as illegal aliens know from day one that coming in through any other way then the legal way doesn't entitle you to anything!

Legal aliens are well informed that if they don't stick to their conditions they have to leave or risk to be deported.

So if legal aliens risk that then why would illegal aliens get to stay!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can we once again refrain from the insults in general? The failing mind is one that can't seem to make a point without always needing to frame their argument in the context of insulting those who don't share the same perspective or opinion. I am a progressive and loath the attempt to "bend and twist" the truth to promote an agenda! Almost as much as I get tired of the insults that are essentially the same sort of distortion of truth!
Absolutely, when not tossed at me I will not toss them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies