Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you re-elect Trump?
YES 371 48.69%
NO 391 51.31%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Pharoah View Post
You disgrace your vote, principal and morals by playing along and voting in corrupt politicians into a corrupt system.
One way to look at it, but I don't agree.

If I restricted my vote for only those who pass this pure assessment of principles and morals, I would never vote. Politics is not a breeding ground for truth and honor, and our political system is burdened with lots of problems that will never be satisfactorily eliminated, because we are all humans. This is a manifestation of our human condition. We must choose between better or worse. We're not so lucky to chose simply between perfect and FUBAR.

AKA dealing with reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
this is faulty thinking.

you voting just keeps the status quo and means you are accepting it.

you need to be spreading the message and protest against against DC and voting.

tell everyone and explain why.

then maybe more ad more ppl can become enlightened.
Again, if you will kindly show me when, where and how any such alternative action to voting for either of the two candidates ultimately poised to win the White House has made any sort of difference, I'll re-think my "faulty thinking." Meanwhile, I think it is you who is wishful thinking for something we may both wish would occur and have meaning, but I need a little better evidence about how any of that really makes a difference before I too simply wish away.

PS: I have also been parts of protests or demonstrations that arise here and there, but usually I am left with the feeling it's all forgot the next day and pretty much all for not. The protests against the Vietnam war were one thing. What we see going on more recently is another, and neither makes voting for the viable candidate for POTUS any less the vote of most consequence when it comes our time to choose about that too.

This need not be an either/or scenario, but it is wrong thinking to vote for what has no viable chance of winning.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
If you were presented and made to believe you have 3 options for your love life

1) A woman beater

2) A meth addict

3) Single / Protest and demand or wait for a better option

Which one would you choose?

Legit can not understand how people vote in corrupt politicians every election cycle.
We all have our favorite ways to characterize politicians, but the resume of Hillary, even Trump's, can hardly be fairly summarized or described by the first two choices you offer in your analogy.

Your third option is all fine and well, especially given the options you provide, but you still need some evidence that your third option amounts to something other than a waste of time. Does for me anyway, while meanwhile the stark reality is that either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump WILL BECOME POTUS REGARDLESS.

Put another way, fix your analogy above to read either you choose the woman beater or a meth addict, because you WILL end up having to live with one. Or, you can choose the third option while other people will choose whether you live with the woman beater or meth addict for you. That's what we're really talking about here!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Except you will never be single. That isn't an option. One way or another you are getting the "woman beater" or the " meth addict", if you don't act, someone else will choose for you.

I prefer the douche vs turd analogy, myself.
Right. I didn't read your comment before I posted mine essentially explaining the same thing. Good to know others can see through the fog of our political dilemma here...

Old 10-08-2017, 10:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Are the half of this board that voted yes all Russian trolls?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are the half of this board that voted yes all Russian trolls?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Wow!

Never would have guessed, but the count of "no" votes just surpassed the count of "yes" votes!

Not by much of course, but still..., I assumed this count would always be in favor of re-electing Trump given this forum. Not sure if that means there is a shift away from Trump or whether there are not as many right-winging Trump supporters in this forum like I thought, but talk about your divide in any case.

Also something to consider given so many who needed to know who was running against Trump. That so many wouldn't vote to re-elect Trump regardless is saying something...

Old 10-08-2017, 11:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The reason to vote for either Hillary or Trump in the end was because no other alternative had a chance at becoming POTUS. If all these protest "alternative" votes had been cast toward Hillary or Trump along with those who didn't vote at all, we'd know better who was actually the popular choice and by how much. No doubt the electoral college and those states deeply blue or red lessen this case for voting either for Hillary or Trump, but there is no better case that justifies wasting a vote on someone who hasn't got a chance.

Add the fact that someone who might lean toward either Hillary or Trump but doesn't vote for either is actually helping the candidate they don't lean toward just a bit more.

Despite all the heartburn and emotion, as best I can understand this simple math and truth, the only real vote that matters in the end is for one of the candidates that has a chance to win. All else is emotional "feel good" stuff that doesn't register in the grand political scheme of things. No one pays attention to those votes, past, present or into the foreseeable future...
You live in CA ? Your vote for Hillary didn't matter any bit more than my vote for Johnson in NY. You wanted Hillary to win, easy vote for you. I didn't want either to win, my vote in my state would not register in the grand scheme of things, so, yep, I could cast a feel good vote. There was also the slim possibility that enough people would do the same to actually send a message of dissatisfaction.

More than 2 million voters nationally left the prez line empty. I consider that a waste.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You live in CA ? Your vote for Hillary didn't matter any bit more than my vote for Johnson in NY. You wanted Hillary to win, easy vote for you. I didn't want either to win, my vote in my state would not register in the grand scheme of things, so, yep, I could cast a feel good vote. There was also the slim possibility that enough people would do the same to actually send a message of dissatisfaction.

More than 2 million voters nationally left the prez line empty. I consider that a waste.
Of course I understand what you are explaining, especially about how some votes matter in swing states unlike in solid red or blue states. I've already touched on that more than a few times. I guess I can't get you to understand the value of these alternative votes in comparison however...

If there is ANY value to a vote in a solid red or blue state, for either viable candidate (in this case Hillary or Trump) its that a clearer picture of who is preferred for POTUS emerges. Hillary won the popular vote that was counted, but what of all the alternative "feel good" votes. Which would have ended up with still more of the popular vote?

This information and/or "message" is more significant and worthwhile to me than any alternative votes, protest votes or no votes cast.

I wasn't as much for Hillary as much as I considered her better than Trump, far better, all considered.

If you, on the other hand, can show me how your vote mattered any more than mine, that's what I'm interested in confirming and/or reconfirming. I think we do better voting for viable candidates regardless how crappy the system may be than wasting our votes on options that are basically added to the trash heap of meaningless votes.

Beyond that analysis, to each his own of course! Go do yoga instead of voting if that makes you feel better. There's some value in that too of course, but not in the grand scheme of our political process today and what outcomes we are forced to choose upon, the options that matter...

Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM

628 posts, read 695,503 times
How could anyone support the man? He has thin skin. The man can give HATEFUL Remarks he can't take the replies. Cry Baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies