Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:44 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,438,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No. What she said was that she hadn't discussed the details of this with Trump yet. That is not "walking back the claim."
on thursday sanders said the donation would come from trump's "personal money". on friday when asked if the money would come from trump personally or the trump foundation sanders didn't know. trump has not made a donation to the trump foundation since 2008.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:44 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Ever notice that every time Trump opens his mouth, he needs people to come after him, explaining what he just said? In this administration that should be a cabinet level position. It kind of reminds me of the guy with the broom and the bucket following the circus elephants, scooping up the dung left in their wake.

It's sad that we have a president who speaks so poorly that someone must continually explain what he meant to say.
I was a liberal Democrat; give me one reason to come back home? The only thing I hear is hate for our President. Show me your policies that help flood victims. Show me the actions you are taking right now to help those in need. Show me how you are going to make average American lives better. Trump has polices and campaign pledges that he is trying to honor. He is in the right place at the right time.

Lead by example and give people hope. Then I might take another look at the Party that turned it's back on American workers!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess
I'm not ducking a response but can we find a source from a reporter who didn't grow up in Santa Monica and went to college at Oberlin?
Video, from the horses mouth, at: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/904035420488458242

Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was a liberal Democrat; give me one reason to come back home? The only thing I hear is hate for our President. Show me your policies that help flood victims. Show me the actions you are taking right now to help those in need. Show me how you are going to make average American lives better. Trump has polices and campaign pledges that he is trying to honor. He is in the right place at the right time.

Lead by example and give people hope. Then I might take another look at the Party that turned it's back on American workers!
For one thing, Democrats didn't want to cut FEMA funding. The people of Texas should remember that.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the difference is that talking about how, happy they looked and what a wonderful thing it was, and "It's been very nice." "It's been a wonderful thing." "It's been beautiful to watch," seems tone deaf at best.

If he meant that watching people go through something tough is beautiful to watch, it has a bit of a Hunger Games flavor to it.

If you mean watching them be giddily relieved they weren't drowned and carried off in a flood, well okay. I guess.

But still. You don't have to be a career speaker/polished pro to make a couple clear comments, I don't care what the context is.
Context is everything. That's why if you really want to understand what he said and how he said them, watch the video of the event. Sound bytes and snippets taken out of context don't convey the reality of the situation.

My friends last night in Beaumont by the way were QUITE giddy and relieved that they hadn't been drowned or carried off in a flood. They were dancing and singing and drinking wine with their neighbors surrounded by ruined homes and vehicles.

In the context (there's that nasty word again), both their giddiness and Trump's words and actions today were easy to understand and pretty appropriate.

I am not sure you realize just how heart warming so much of the human story of this hurricane is to so many Texans. We have truly seen some of the best in people emerge - and not just Texans but the outpouring of love and volunteerism and support from all over the US (special shout out to our Cajun neighbors!). It has truly been beautiful in many cases.

This is probably my favorite picture from the whole mess:
https://pbs.twimg.com/amplify_video_...ixxtbf1g2X.jpg

No wait - maybe this one:
https://cdn5.littlethings.com/app/up..._n-850x478.jpg

Wait, maybe this scene:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...art/619316001/

Or this one - heck, there are so many, I can hardly choose:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...3949268092.jpg

Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Really!! Should they all wail and cry?

It is a good thing when love and support sustains them because they will have good and bad days in the future.

. Anyone who goes through a crisis or loss knows love and the sharing of support makes life better than doing it on your own. It lifts ones spirit to see the caring and sacrifice by all the people coming to help. It is a wonderful thing .
No kidding. We are having a party tomorrow with some of our friends up from Houston. With good food and a keg, we plan on celebrating life.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:55 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean when the report comes from a website called "talking points memo" you don't automatically trust it like the OP?
It's in many places. That was the first one that came up. It's a QUOTE. Stop with the partisan distortions.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:57 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the difference is that talking about how, happy they looked and what a wonderful thing it was, and "It's been very nice." "It's been a wonderful thing." "It's been beautiful to watch," seems tone deaf at best.

If he meant that watching people go through something tough times is beautiful to watch, it has a bit of a Hunger Games flavor to it.

If you mean watching them be giddily relieved they weren't drowned and carried off in a flood, well okay. I guess.

But still. You don't have to be a career speaker/polished pro to make a couple clear, caring comments, no matter what the context.
Who says he didn't make clear, caring statements? I'm sure he made plenty of those comments but they weren't reported.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
For one thing, Democrats didn't want to cut FEMA funding. The people of Texas should remember that.

Prior to Katrina, federal funds used to help with rebuilding due to storms averaged about 17 percent of total funding. Katrina's budget zoomed to 72 percent of rebuilding costs. Sandy's budget was 80 percent of rebuilding costs.

That trend is what had so many people irate.

Let's see what happens with this particular storm.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:00 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I saw him say it, and I was wondering how long the "liberal spin" would take. For the *******s who don't understand English, he was speaking of the way hardship has brought the best out of the people, and how strong and resilient they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies