Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 02:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I assumed this was a joke when I saw the thread title. What is wrong with this man? First he visits a disaster area - because he has to - but he forgets to talk to the people. Then he has to go back again, presumably because someone pointed out that the visit was supposed to be to talk to the people, and when he does talk to the people, he tells them that their devastation is a wonderful thing. He's completely nuts.

Is that how he views all devastation? For example, is he thinking that war games with big bombs are big fun and that the people will be happy and it's a wonderful thing? Is that why he has systematically isolated the USA from all other countries - a game of who wants to experience a "wonderful things" first?
So many issues...

First of all, Trump didn't "go back to Texas presumably because someone pointed out yada yada yada" - when he was in Texas the first time he said he was coming back this Saturday - it was already in his plans.

Secondly, did you watch the video of his visit to the shelter? It is very clear that he never once said or implied that the devastation of the people is a wonderful thing.

I don't like Trump. I'm skeptical of his character. That being said, I do believe in being fair and rational, which apparently is not the case with most of the media and those who go bleating behind them.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I saw him say it, and I was wondering how long the "liberal spin" would take. For the *******s who don't understand English, he was speaking of the way hardship has brought the best out of the people, and how strong and resilient they are.
It's normal that disaster brings charity, but hello ... that charity is not a "wonderful thing". That charity is a solemn gesture to people whose lives are devastated. Many countries are helping with the disaster - a disaster that was forecast - and none of them are thinking that the victims are experiencing a "wonderful thing", or that they are doing a "wonderful thing". They are doing what is necessary to keep people alive, safe, and well in the face of total loss.

If Trump wants to do a "wonderful thing" and for the people to experience a "wonderful thing", he should reverse his recent decision to eliminate global warming considerations in the rebuild of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes I watched it and no it was not clear.
Interesting. I had absolutely no trouble grasping his message of support.

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
A bit more nuanced article:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAr7B6W?m=en-us

I see I was late to the gate..as it were...Yeah...Trump might be a bit awkward..but this was a good visit..glad to see him among the people.
Thanks for the better article. Trump is indeed socially awkward and this allows writers and posters like the OP article and others to take a benign situation where he is doing a good thing and turn it into something wholly different. Pettiness rules I guess.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's normal that disaster brings charity, but hello ... that charity is not a "wonderful thing". That charity is a solemn gesture to people whose lives are devastated. Many countries are helping with the disaster - a disaster that was forecast - and none of them are thinking that the victims are experiencing a "wonderful thing", or that they are doing a "wonderful thing". They are doing what is necessary to keep people alive, safe, and well in the face of total loss.

How sweet of you to rewrite the definition of the word "charity." Now we all know that charity is not a wonderful thing. Who knew?

I have friends who have been devastated by Hurricane Harvey and without exception they've told me (and anyone else who would listen) how wonderful the response to their situation has been.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Still watching Trump live at air base tarmac in TX talking to local officials and Ted Cruz. He and Ted have set aside the bitter politics of the past to work together. Everyone is chatting and smiling. How could anyone call Trump cold? The press pool sees the truth but don't or won't report it.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:15 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Video, from the horses mouth, at: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/904035420488458242

"It's been beautiful, have a good time." What a lunatic. If he could speak in full sentences, perhaps we could believe that he means that charity is a wonderful thing, but given that he can only speak in phrases, we are allowed to take them at face value. The only thing that happened is Houston devastation, so I suppose it's been beautiful. How nice that he wishes everyone to have a good time when they have nothing.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Thanks for the better article. Trump is indeed socially awkward and this allows posters like the OP and others to take a benign situation where he is doing a good thing and turn it into something wholly different. Pettiness rules I guess.
It's not so much Trump's actions as it is the ongoing, almost cult or religious-like chorus around here that trumpets everything he does as if he's some sort of hero with a new thread full of gasping, starry-eyed wonder and joy. Trump promises to give away a bit of his ill-gotten fortune to charity - oh, he's such a hero because nobody else every did that before! Trump goes a whole day without saying something bigoted or stupid - oh, he's the best president ever!

We all know full well that threads like those are NOT about Harvey, but about praising Trump and trying to turn every little thing he does into some new, "never before done" example of "heroism." It's a sick form of cult worship, and that's why we call people out on it. There's nothing special about Trump, and almost every rich or evil idiot in history has given away some money to charity and played the part of somebody who gives a damn. But a casual look at Trump's years of business swindles should make it clear he only cares about himself, regardless of what role he's playing on TV today.

Will the people of Houston benefit? Sure - but that doesn't make Trump a hero anymore than if the Bloods or mafia donated a million dollars to help out in effort to make themselves suddenly heroes. Evil people can do good things and still be evil; that's a basic fact of human history.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You look at what President Trump is doing today and think of what past Presidents did during active disasters. If he finds problems with funding I am sure he will address those issues. Every hand he shakes today could be one more vote tomorrow.

Show us how his opposition is going to make us great again. I have no intention of coming back to the Democratic Party until you have a message of a brighter future and not of simply hate! If you are reading closely; you will see that I am not alone.
So you're impressed that this president (finally!) is doing what every president before him did. Big deal.

But he's seven months into his presidency, we're facing a catastrophe of epic proportions, and Trump hasn't even bothered to fill many key positions in FEMA yet. He and the Republicans in Congress proposed to cut $876 million from FEMA's budget, while Trump is demanding hundreds of millions of dollars to pay for his ridiculous wall.

If those sound like good, sound policy decisions to you, then I agree, the Democratic party is definitely not for you.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The words of a man who has never in his life suffered a moment of hardship. He has absolutely no concept of what it's like to live in a shelter, having lost everything. His parting words as he left the shelter were, "Have a good time." Yeah, fun times! What a moronic thing to say.

He continues to be an embarrassment to all thinking Americans. I cringe to think the world see this fool as a representative of my country.
Pretty ridiculous comment considering the majority of Americans have no idea what its like to live in a shelter, having lost everything.

In any case, when he said "Have a good time" he was talking to the press with whom he was doing a Q&A, not the people staying in the shelter.

So it seems a little odd to say that, but for all we know someone laid out a food spread for them to eat after the Q&A. In any case, he was talking to reporters not flood victims.

Apparently, you don't do thinking as well as you think you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies