Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to "minority benefits" there is no such thing.
Ohh yes there is.

Every year since the mid sixties after the civil rights act was passed, billions in federal funding and grants has been allotted for "discriminated minorities" - this is in addition to affirmative action. This money goes to support all manner of minority organizations and projects.

The "hispanic" group was invented because Mexican Americans wanted to get their hands on this money (they couldn't do that as white), and they have been fighting to get the most of it since they were invented.

The "MENA" group is being invented for the same reason. They want these benefits that you think don't exist.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I think too many Latinos must have done you wrong.
Spanish people have historically done a lot of black people wrong. This is a little known history for people not from the South West. That's why it is ridiculous to suggest that black people should have some kind of unconditional support for "Latino" causes. They have never supported any of ours.

Mexicans supported and enforced segregation. They didn't want black people in their white schools and neighborhoods.

My family who grew up in East Texas during segregation remembers how racist Spanish Texans were. They were never in the same boat as black people. When blacks were fighting for basic civil rights, Spanish people were part of the problem.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ohh yes there is.

Every year since the mid sixties after the civil rights act was passed, billions in federal funding and grants has been allotted for "discriminated minorities" - this is in addition to affirmative action. This money goes to support all manner of minority organizations and projects.

The "hispanic" group was invented because Mexican Americans wanted to get their hands on this money (they couldn't do that as white), and they have been fighting to get the most of it since they were invented.

The "MENA" group is being invented for the same reason. They want these benefits that you think don't exist.
On the bold, no there isn't. There is not benefit provided by the federal government that is only for minorities. Even in grants (and I am fully aware of grants and how they work on the federal level) they come from federal agencies that have no vested interest in "minority" issues.

Affirmative Action is not a "benefit" it is an initiative that states that people cannot be discriminated against based on certain protected statuses. All Americans are a part of a protected status (we all have a gender, race, religion/lack thereof, etc.).

Don't know what MENA is and don't care since I'm not one to depend on government benefits. But when they have a "black people benefit" let me know so I can get it

Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Spanish people have historically done a lot of black people wrong. This is a little known history for people not from the South West. That's why it is ridiculous to suggest that black people should have some kind of unconditional support for "Latino" causes. They have never supported any of ours.

Mexicans supported and enforced segregation. They didn't want black people in their white schools and neighborhoods.

My family who grew up in East Texas during segregation remembers how racist Spanish Texans were. They were never in the same boat as black people. When blacks were fighting for basic civil rights, Spanish people were part of the problem.
Again, you must have been done wrong by Latinos. Seems you dislike them. That's cool if you do, but don't act like there was or is some huge goal/aim of Latinos to destroy black people lol.

On segregation, so what. Many black people did and still support segregation. On blacks having "love for Latino causes" we don't.

I didn't see any self proclaimed black person, including myself, who stated that we should advocate for Latinos.

I just wonder why you are so upset at Latinos. Maybe its a Texan thing. All people have been and can be racist. I'm not going to live my life being mad at racists. They have psychological problems. No use in me developing my own in response to theirs.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
On the bold, no there isn't. There is not benefit provided by the federal government that is only for minorities.
Yes there is. I'm actually startled that you're unaware of this.

Nobody gets checks in the mail, but federal money specifically for minorities goes to fund minority programs. You may not see it, but it's a lot.

What's more, that money of is allotted based on census figures, which is why "Latino" organizations were so happy that they became the largest minority.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Yes there is. I'm actually startled that you're unaware of this.

Nobody gets checks in the mail, but federal money specifically for minorities goes to fund minority programs. You may not see it, but it's a lot.
Provide an example of a grant from an agency that funds "minority programs" just because someone is a minority....

I don't think you can. Again, I know about government grants. I was a grant writer and won grants for organizations, including majority black run organizations. Federal grants are budgets created for specific purposes and are allocated to a variety of organizations, usually non-profit organizations and there has never been a grant for black people only that now Latinos or Asians or whoever else have stolen from us...

Old 09-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Provide an example of a grant from an agency that funds "minority programs" just because someone is a minority....
It's astonishing that you don't know this.

Quote:
The following programs are provided by a number of Federal agencies to eliminate health disparities among minority groups and provide educational, business development, and research opportunities to under-represented populations and minority serving institutions.

10.220 Higher Education Multicultural Scholars Program (Minority Scholars Program)
10.223 Hispanic Serving Institutions Education Grants
11.481 Educational Partnership Program
84.120 Minority Science and Engineering Improvement
84.315 Capacity Building for Traditionally Underserved Populations
93.004 Cooperative Agreements to Improve the Health Status of Minority Populations
93.137 Community Programs to Improve Minority Health Grant Program
93.157 Centers of Excellence
93.178 Nursing Workforce Diversity
93.307 Loan Repayment for Health Disparities Research
93.308 Extramural Loan Repayment for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds Conducting Clinical Research
93.822 Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP)
93.910 Family and Community Violence Prevention Program (Family Life Centers)
93.925 Scholarships for Health Professions Students from Disadvantaged Backgrounds (Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (SDS)

14 Federal Grant Programs for Minorities!
..and that's just some of them. There are also grants available for minority first time business owners among many other things.

The federal money for these programs is allotted based on minority census figures. The reason the "hispanic" category was invented was so that they too could qualify for these programs and get these benefits.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I didn't see any self proclaimed black person, including myself, who stated that we should advocate for Latinos.
This is really common. Lots of black leaders advocate for so called "Black and Brown(Latino)" unity.

Quote:
All people have been and can be racist. I'm not going to live my life being mad at racists. They have psychological problems. No use in me developing my own in response to theirs.
I would usually agree. It is useless to worry about and run after racism.

But the thread topic asks if black people should have some kind of allegiance with other "people of color"(e.g the fictitious "hispanic" group) and advocate for their causes. I'm saying "No" and explaining why. My point is that white Americans don't hold the patent on anti-black racism. Black political leaders narrowly see racism as coming from "whites", but so called "people of color" are equally racist and have never historically cared about black people or our causes. So it's foolish to suggest that we should have unconditional support for other "people of color".

Old 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM

526 posts, read 386,257 times
Black people care about one color. I'll give you a hint, black-black-blackity-black.

Although they'll become brothers in arms against whitey with anyone that helps that cause.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:07 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
Default Should black people be advocating for other persons of color as well? Why or why not?

I dunno.

I get a pretty good dark tan in the summer.
If they think I am "of color" and they want to advovate for me.
Who am I to stop them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies