Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 AM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
After a couple of recent threads, one that made it really big before being locked, I wanted to created a similar thread to hear from black people and other POC.

Do you feel that it is selfish for blacks to only advocate for ourselves and not for other persons of color? Why or why not?
How do you as a person of color relate to the plight of other POC of another background?

I realize that every person of color does not have your best interest either, however sometimes I wonder if black people should advocate for them more than we do? On the other hand, you have other persons of color who make the same accusations of "self segregation" that many persons of Anglo-Saxon descent make.

As a black person, how do you feel about things such as Black History Month? How about Hispanic Heritage Month. Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month?

How do you feel about the accusation of "race-bating" and "playing the race card"?

NOTE: I will accept commentary from any race of people as long as it's of value.
The only reason a people of one color should be advocating for themselves and/or any other color is if color truly separated us in the first place, which it doesn't.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Will note for Tritone please even reference earlier this year a Dominican from NYC who won Charlie Rangel's seat in Congress was not automatically admitted into the CBC. I don't think he ever was.

As stated, I know a lot of black politicians and community organizers and I remember when this story was in the media earlier this year a lot of their positions were that he was a member of the Hispanic Caucus and that would be a conflict of interest. Others I know felt that he would not actually be totally for issues that important to black Americans specifically and may try to steer the focus to Hispanics.

So this is not something that most elected black leaders support. I'll also note many of them will give support in front of the camera but behind closed doors, it is a whole other story.

Specifically on DACA (and maybe that's where you're coming from) I think a lot of Americans in general are in support of DACA recipients, including myself. That is due to the fact that DACA was created as a way for them to become legal citizens and come out of the shadows. Also the recipients did not directly break the law since they were brought as children to this country.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is really common. Lots of black leaders advocate for so called "Black and Brown(Latino)" unity.

I would usually agree. It is useless to worry about and run after racism.

But the thread topic asks if black people should have some kind of allegiance with other "people of color"(e.g the fictitious "hispanic" group) and advocate for their causes. I'm saying "No" and explaining why. My point is that white Americans don't hold the patent on anti-black racism. Black political leaders narrowly see racism as coming from "whites", but so called "people of color" are equally racist and have never historically cared about black people or our causes. So it's foolish to suggest that we should have unconditional support for other "people of color".
There certainly have been instances of other minority groups looking down on black Americans in the same manner that white supremacists do. Do you think we should "proceed with caution" so to speak?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Default terms "colored" and "Asian"

Funny thing about terms such as "colored". In South Africa, this term today refers to what some in the Americas call "mulattoes". "Asian", in Canada and the U.K. Is generally used to refer to those of a south Asian heritage va those from the Far East on the continent.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
no, because it not about right or wrong, its all about themselves, there is no interest in anything but themselves

Old 09-23-2017, 12:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Threads like these are so limited and reflect a narrow-mindedness that exists among many in the U.S.

I am of African descent, among other heritages. I am also the daughter of immigrants - the first-generation born here and the second-generation within the U.S. I am a descendant of African slaves but not in the U.S.

This is the major reason the term "black" is problematic, as it is often associated with only one experience. Non-African individuals in the U.S., especially whites, tend to assume or try to force all people of African origin into one ethnic group. We are not.

As a "black"-labeled individual, immigration is important to me, as my parents' generation immigrated. DACA recipients are "black" too, btw. There are "black" immigrants - legal and illegal, Hispanic and non-Hispanic.

So people should advocate for what they deem important. Others should stop trying to strip people of their ethnicity and force them into one box. People of African origin are not monolithic - never have been and never will be.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Only if they want to for whatever reason. "persons of color" is a weird term that means nothing but trouble anyway. Whoever came up with that should be slapped.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Spanish people have historically done a lot of black people wrong. This is a little known history for people not from the South West. That's why it is ridiculous to suggest that black people should have some kind of unconditional support for "Latino" causes. They have never supported any of ours.

Mexicans supported and enforced segregation. They didn't want black people in their white schools and neighborhoods.

My family who grew up in East Texas during segregation remembers how racist Spanish Texans were. They were never in the same boat as black people. When blacks were fighting for basic civil rights, Spanish people were part of the problem.
I won't say that Latinos/Latin Americans have never supported black causes because there are some that have, that said, there are those who feel that being opposed to black Americans and their well-being will somehow give them a get out of jail free card.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The Black SJW's don't seem to have any love for Asians or East Indians, for obvious reasons. Mainly because they've leapfrogged them (and Whites!). They also go back and forth with Hispanics depending on whether it's convenient. One thing I've never understood is how Blacks can be in favor of illegal immigration, or any immigration really, when all it does is cut down their voting power? As the Hispanic population continues to grow, the Black vote decreases in importance. The majority of the resources for minority communities will soon be headed the way of the Hispanics. Same with seats on school boards, city councils, state senates, etc. As Hispanic populations grow and grow, so does their voting power. Blacks, poor Black specifically, need to embrace mainstream society & become part of it, or they will end up similar to Native Americans culturally. I don't wish that on Black people, but if you look at the demographic shifts and do the math, that is where this is headed.
It is very interesting how when the left is talking about illegal Hispanic aliens and Muslim refugees, these are poor people of color who are oppressed. But Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and George Zimmerman are "white Hispanics". I have a black friend who voted for Obama the first time but has become Republican after suffering from Obamacare and seeing the failure of Obama's policies, and his sister who is more of a classic black SJW type accuses him of "not being black anymore" as if voting for Democrats is a defining part of being black. I'm also literally overheard someone say that Ben Carson "no longer really black" and many among the black Democrat crowd lost their respect for Dr. Carson. Also heard black Democrats say that Bobby Jindal is "not really Indian" and that he is "practically white".

I have several friends who are African immigrants who want nothing to do with ghetto black American culture. They also think its weird for SJW type African Americans to wear African dress and come up with names they think sound African but are not for example nobody in Ghana or Nigeria is named Laquisha or Lamaricus or DeShonte. Many black Africans also say its strange hearing the term African American itself since there is nothing African in the US black population. Gangster rap and doo rags and baggy pants and hoop earrings are not particularly popular in most of Africa. The ghetto culture is a homegrown American culture. While many upper class people in African countries have ordinary first names like John, Robert, Mark, etc. Though some African immigrants who grew up in the US without these racial ideas have had them installed in them by the college experience and interactions with the BLM types.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That can get bad real fast: especially if some Hispanic who speaks only Spanish from Chile of 100 percent pasty white Swedish family claims "POC", especially if our Latino was a white supremacist who hated Asians.
Just stop already with the nonsense about hypothetical thinking. Again, that is THEIR business to sort out.

Like I said, people can call themselves anything they want. None of your business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies