Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
If I have cancer, and 99 physicians tell me there is no viable treatment, but 1 physician tells me that there is novel treatment that he thinks would put the cancer in remission, I would listen to the 1 physician.

By your logic, I should go with the consensus.

I'm interested in the argument, not the number of people supporting it.
Who would you choose to listen to if the 99 were telling you how to avoid getting sick in the first place?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Who would you choose to listen to if the 99 were telling you how to avoid getting sick in the first place?
In this analogy, they would be projecting you would be sick in the future using models.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The R fallback position in the event that global warming is real is that the Rapture will happen soon and the Lord will call his followers home.

That makes it easy to justify raping the planet as you damn well please until then.
What is funny is Democrats don't understand that their global warming alarmism is no different than believing in the Rapture.

You wrap up your doomsday beliefs in rhetoric about science.

I dont think most Democrats even believe it, it is just about scaring up some votes. What is the Democrat's solution to global warming? Higher taxes, more government spending, more regulations. The same things that they want to do anyway. Democrats push this imaginary crisis that only more government can solve.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
I don't know, did George Carlin make it into heaven or is he in hell? He made a lot more scense during the 1980's, during Reagan, but during Obama he sounded like a communist.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I don't know, did George Carlin make it into heaven or is he in hell? He made a lot more scense during the 1980's, during Reagan, but during Obama he sounded like a communist.
Maybe he's flying over the ocean somewhere...don't think George would have been one to go in a coffin.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:50 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I can guarantee you that you do not have more science education than me; nor do you have more science education than the vast majority of climate scientists throughout the world who are urging the world to take climate change seriously. This is not "alarmism"; it's called "science." And for someone who claims to be so educated in science, the fact that you do not know the difference, and think you know more than the world's climate scientists, is quite "alarming" in itself. Global warming "alarmism" is a right-wing political term that means nothing other than the fact that they are in deep denial about the worsening state of the planet due to anthropogenic climate change. Like toddlers, they think that if they can't see something with their own eyes, it doesn't exist, so--again, like toddlers--they stamp their feet and insist on their own reality.

He absolutely did "buy" the reality of global warming (as it was called back then). Like I said, sub-text is lost on climate change deniers.
With all due respect..... Climate change deniers are propagandists. They know good and well that thescience is sound. Their mission is to tell you that smoking is good for you......... I

Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
In this analogy, they would be projecting you would be sick in the future using models.
Okay, and...?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
What is funny is Democrats don't understand that their global warming alarmism is no different than believing in the Rapture.

I dont think most Democrats even believe it, it is just about scaring up some votes. What is the Democrat's solution to global warming? Higher taxes, more government spending, more regulations. The same things that they want to do anyway. Democrats push this imaginary crisis that only more government can solve.

It's not "Democrats" "pushing" an "imaginary crisis." I guess the whole world is in on it, eh? You didn't read any of the links I provided, did you? Of course not. That would require opening your mind, assuming that you have one. Nope. Instead, you're just going to dig in with your political obsession (while accusing me of it). So here you go--you don't even have to open the link!

‘Global warming is a hoax’–I wish James Inhofe were just a hoax … | Grist

Text in link:

Objection: Global warming is a hoax perpetrated by environmental extremists and liberals who want an excuse for more big government (and/or world government via the U.N.).

This is a common line, regardless of how ridiculous it is, so it should not go unanswered.

Answer: Here is a list of organizations that accept anthropogenic global warming as real and scientifically well-supported:

NASA’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies (GISS): http://www.giss.nasa.gov/edu/gwdebate/
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC): http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/index.htm
National Academy of Sciences (NAS): http://books.nap.edu/collections/glo...ing/index.html
State of the Canadian Cryosphere (SOCC) – http://www.socc.ca/permafrost/permafrost_future_e.cfm
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): http://epa.gov/climatechange/index.html
The Royal Society of the UK (RS) – http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/page.asp?id=3135
American Geophysical Union (AGU): AGU - American Geophysical Union
American Meteorological Society (AMS): Untitled Document
American Institute of Physics (AIP): http://www.aip.org/gov/policy12.html
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR): How Does Climate Change?
American Meteorological Society (AMS): Untitled Document
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS): Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society - 404 - Not Found
Every major scientific institution dealing with climate, ocean, and/or atmosphere agrees that the climate is warming rapidly and the primary cause is human CO2 emissions.

In addition to that list, see also this joint statement (PDF) that specifically and unequivocally endorses the work and conclusions of the IPCC Third Assessment report. The statement was issued by:

Academia Brasiliera de Ciencias (Brazil)
Royal Society of Canada
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Academie des Sciences (France)
Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina (Germany)
Indian National Science Academy
Accademia dei Lincei (Italy)
Science Council of Japan
Russian Academy of Sciences
Royal Society (United Kingdom)
National Academy of Sciences (United States of America)

You can also read this statement [PDF], which includes all the above signatories plus the following:

Australian Academy of Sciences
Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences and the Arts
Caribbean Academy of Sciences
Indonesian Academy of Sciences
Royal Irish Academy
Academy of Sciences Malaysia
Academy Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences

But if scientists are too liberal and politicians too unreliable, perhaps you find the opinion of key industry representatives more convincing:

BP, the largest oil company in the UK and one of the largest in the world, has this opinion:
There is an increasing consensus that climate change is linked to the consumption of carbon based fuels and that action is required now to avoid further increases in carbon emissions as the global demand for energy increases.

Shell Oil (yes, as in oil, the fossil fuel) says:
Shell shares the widespread concern that the emission of greenhouse gases from human activities is leading to changes in the global climate.

Eighteen CEOs of Canada’s largest corporations had this to say in an open letter to the Prime Minister of Canada:
Our organizations accept that a strong response is required to the strengthening evidence in the scientific assessments of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). We accept the IPCC consensus that climate change raises the risk of severe consequences for human health and security and the environment. We note that Canada is particularly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change.

Have the environazis seized the reigns of industrial power, in addition to infiltrating the U.N., the science academies of every developed nation, and the top research institutes of North America? That just doesn’t seem very likely. [emphasis added]

Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:

Remember smog?

Or leaded gasoline?

Lead water pipes?

Asbestos?

BPA?

I am very happy we can utilize our government to do some good every now and then.

Some folks think they hate regulations until it's their backyard somebody is spoiling, or their family somebody is poisoning.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 PM

CO2 isn't like smog, asbestos, etc. CO2 isn't a pollutant. Plant life on this earth could not survive without it.

Nobody is aruging against all regulations. That is the typical false choice arguments liberals like to use.

I'm opposed to regulations, high taxes and high spending based on the myth that CO2 is causing this doomsday warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies