Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:30 PM

35,010 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Recently, Standard Time was shortened from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November, and from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March. I think shortening it was a good move. Back in the day I felt that Congress did the wrong thing by keeping the 55 mph speed limit and dropping year round Daylight Savings Time. But I digress. I think that Standard Time should run about 2 months either side of the Winter Solstice, or about the second to last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in February. That would facilitate after-work outdoor activities such as barbecuing, tennis, golf (for people like my boss) and running. Leaving work in pitch black is depressing.

My idea comports with the weather as well, lining the start of DST to the end of meteorological winter. Meteorological winter is December, January and February, or to be more exact, to correspond to the coldest 90 days, December 6 to March 6. If you look at snowstorms (I know Denver is different with its snow being October-November and March-April) accumulating snow usually starts around December 4-6, and goes in my area, near the coast, through much of March. But the very mild days usually come to a crashing halt around December 6, and late February often starts soft and warm days.

Meteorological summer, for simplicity, is June, July and August. As a weather buff I use the 90 warmest days, which are June 6 to September 6. Spring and fall are basically the days in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Personally, I think the national speed limit should be set at 45 mph. That would keep the average speed on the interstates below 80 mph.

As for the time tinkering, I think we are too obsessed with the clock. Nothing we do actually changes the number of hours in a day or night. Does it really matter if we call the time we report to trade our lives for money each day 6 AM or 5 AM? Does that somehow change the astronomical cycles? Frankly, I wish they would just leave the clocks alone. Changing the label of a given instant of time or the sun cycle is nothing more than annoying.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Recently, Standard Time was shortened from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November, and from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March. I think shortening it was a good move. Back in the day I felt that Congress did the wrong thing by keeping the 55 mph speed limit and dropping year round Daylight Savings Time. But I digress. I think that Standard Time should run about 2 months either side of the Winter Solstice, or about the second to last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in February. That would facilitate after-work outdoor activities such as barbecuing, tennis, golf (for people like my boss) and running. Leaving work in pitch black is depressing.

My idea comports with the weather as well, lining the start of DST to the end of meteorological winter. Meteorological winter is December, January and February, or to be more exact, to correspond to the coldest 90 days, December 6 to March 6. If you look at snowstorms (I know Denver is different with its snow being October-November and March-April) accumulating snow usually starts around December 4-6, and goes in my area, near the coast, through much of March. But the very mild days usually come to a crashing halt around December 6, and late February often starts soft and warm days.

Meteorological summer, for simplicity, is June, July and August. As a weather buff I use the 90 warmest days, which are June 6 to September 6. Spring and fall are basically the days in between.
This is actually not a bad idea. I still hold a grudge against Bush for changing it in the late 2000s however. I really liked that short period in late March where the sun comes up at like 5AM. That doesn't happen anymore since they changed the "spring forward" date.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Changing the label of a given instant of time or the sun cycle is nothing more than annoying.
Fair point
You report to work at 8AM now
And 8AM is the middle of the night.
Enjoy

Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Fair point
You report to work at 8AM now
And 8AM is the middle of the night.
Enjoy
Or, we could just say "report for duty at sunrise"... whatever time that happens to be on any given day, start a stopwatch, and stop when we've sold enough of our lives for the day (generally eight hours, but often more for the willing).

Old 09-03-2017, 10:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,750 times
Quote:
Or, we could just say "report for duty at sunrise"... whatever time that happens to be on any given day, start a stopwatch, and stop when we've sold enough of our lives for the day (generally eight hours, but often more for the willing).
How would I know when to set my alarm for?
I'd have to know what time the sun was going to rise, to know when to wake up.
And what about people who need to work before sunrise, or after sunrise?

We created the measurement of time for a reason.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Getting up and going to work in pitch black is even more depressing, particularly when it's bitter cold outside.

Quote:
I think that is a lovely ideal, but totally impractical in any but a purely agrarian society.

I do kind of wish that we would settle on either Daylight or Standard and stick with it. Changing back and forth is basically like giving the entire country a case of jet lag twice a year.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:27 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the national speed limit should be set at 45 mph. That would keep the average speed on the interstates below 80 mph.

As for the time tinkering, I think we are too obsessed with the clock. Nothing we do actually changes the number of hours in a day or night. Does it really matter if we call the time we report to trade our lives for money each day 6 AM or 5 AM? Does that somehow change the astronomical cycles? Frankly, I wish they would just leave the clocks alone. Changing the label of a given instant of time or the sun cycle is nothing more than annoying.
You clearly don't understand the importance of precise time-keeping and having just a bit of daylight left after work, during the winter. People who are oriented around outdoor activities and healthy exercise habits, know the significance of Daylight Saving Time. Our concept of the numbers of the hours in late afternoon and evening, is formed when we are young and we can't separate ourselves from that.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
It's not a huge deal either way. Personally I'd move the clocks 1/2 hour ahead and just leave them there forever.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:36 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Personally, I think we should be on Standard time year around. I don't like Daylight Savings time. For one thing out here in the west we have to run our air conditioners longer and the blazing sun for longer hours is annoying also. Perhaps mid-westerners and northerners find that funny but believe me you'd feel the same way if you lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies