Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:38 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In my business it will mostly lead to lower prices as competition forces companies to lower prices to an acceptable investor rate of return. (not higher wages, but then you need to frame short-run or long-run as we both know.)

So, I agree with you that it's a big pile of crud.

Now reflect on the claims that 6million illegal laborers and tons of visa workers don't lower worker wages.

Economics, probably 3 in 10 in this forum have a decent grasp of it and I'm being kind...and half those are so grossly partisan that you could tell them just about anything and they'd buy it if their party told them to.
I suspect most people here are either small business owners or have never been in a management position in a corporation. The calculus on revenue and spending is very different for a small business owner than it is for a corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,206,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When I heard trump postulate this idea rather matter of factly, I almost choked at the absurdity. Do these people still think that anyone believes this tripe?? To say it publicly just tells me that Trump and his Republican minions in Congress thinks everyone in this country is totally stupid.

My chin hit the ground when I heard this crap:

Unbelievable.

Trump Tries to Make Tax Cuts for Rich People Sound Populist
Been around to long to believe this stuff. Once CEO's and their boards started making 10's of millions the worker will never see a benefit to tax cuts on the top.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times
So they're going to take that extra money and send it straight to payroll for no reason? I certainly wouldn't do that with my company. Not that the money would necessarily be better off in the hands of the government, mind you. Still, a complete fib by Trump.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
We've already seen in the past that "trickle down" = "trickle don't"

However, if anyone actually believed that Trump and the GOP was looking to do anything but put more money into rich people's pockets (including the Trump family), I have a lovely bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.....

Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times
Sure it will. The work that gets the raise will be the CEO.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:30 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well you quoting a hard left writer to prove your point makes it pointless.

I cannot tell what Trump may or may not have said based on the quote listed.

I can state with certainty that there are many of us in this country that know cutting taxes on corporations is a huge benefit for Americans. It will lead to better profits for businesses, better wages for employees, better returns for investors.

we know this because we are not hard left people. Now you can argue all day that you are right, and we are wrong.... just as we argue the opposite.

you being outraged is silly.
Well 2 of 3 of those statements are true. Unless there is reason to do so most businesses don't raise wages for employees just because they are doing well.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 PM

330 posts, read 177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I did. It was even more laughable than Trump's explanation.

The corporate tax cut falls overwhelmingly on the executive class, not the workers. And when the statutory rate is dropped from 35 to 15 percent, not one penny of that savings will go into worker's pay checks. Nor will it be invested into more business creation and it won't bring any companies back here to do business. And it won't stop businesses from leaving either.

American corporations can't be sated at this point. No tax cut is deep enough. They want NO corporate taxes, and even that wouldn't save any jobs. They want us all to work for the bare minimum, and they won't be happy until it happens.

They aren't gonna raise wages just because they got a huge windfall.
It was their money to begin with. How is that a windfall?

Answer: It isn't.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Republicans have believed in this Trickle Down tripe since 1980. Why would they stop now?

Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
It was their money to begin with. How is that a windfall?

Answer: It isn't.
Corporations get to do business in a free, first world nation where their logistical needs are met. A regulatory agency, roads, schools, airports and a postal system is available to them. This ain't some backwards nation like Mongolia. This nation is open for business.

To maintain this level of logistical support, it costs money. So no, it's NOT their money to begin with. What's left after you pay your damn tithes like the rest of us, is your money.

Businesses don't need a cut in taxes. Period.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I can state with certainty that there are many of us in this country that know cutting taxes on corporations is a huge benefit for Americans. It will lead to better profits for businesses, better wages for employees, better returns for investors.
There is ZERO evidence for that claim. None. If there was, you'd post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies