Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:33 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We have no right to what you are talking about since we have been occupying a good part of the world to protect oil and other resources.

So unless you claim that the USA has some kind of "rights" that other countries don't have...I don't see your point.

As it stands vast numbers of European, Japanese and Chinese...and Saudis and others OWN a large part of our economy. Factories, real estate, mining and much more.

That water is LONG over the dam. We decided to be capitalists and being largely "free market" capitalists means the highest bidder can buy as much of the USA as they can pay for.
Yes, we do indeed have a right to that. And I never claimed that other countries don't; they absolutely do.

"We" didn't decide to do anything. Being a "capitalist" is not the same thing as being a "globalist"; nor does "free market" refer to a globalized economy: it was conceived as, and applied over centuries to the well-being of local--not global--economies. Globalization, however, stole this right to a local economy--in which the people determine the use of resources--from people all over the globe. So sorry, no, I'm not going to bend over for a globalized "free market" capitalism (which, by the way, isn't "free" in the least).

A large part of the resistance to this reality comes from young people, who have grown up under globalization and, not being schooled in economic and cultural history, cannot conceive of any other way of living, nor of the dangers therein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Would it be difficult? Probably. It might mean doing without cheap imported goods for a while, and yes, it would probably hurt our economy, perhaps badly.

Could we survive? Of course we could.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:35 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The answer is we would survive but we'd be looking at a depression and massive unemployment.

The idea that we can tariff or force the world to our bidding is beyond ****ing stupid. In the meantime we can bury ourselves in our own debt trying to play world police and pushing people around while everyone else gets a bigger slice of the pie we left behind.
Perhaps. But only temporarily, until we restructured our economy back to serve Americans. When did being "American" come to mean "bend over for corporate globalists and China"? When did it come to mean "Walmart is my Daddy, sorry about all the small businesses it killed"? Because if that's what being "American" means, this country is over.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
While small businesses will again take their rightful place and American small towns will be reborn again, out from under the fascist thumb of Walmart.
Yeah! The town shoe cobbler will again make shoes and sell them to people at the corner store and the blacksmith will make shovels and rakes.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:37 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
We can always survive, but think bullets be flying if that happens, we will be at some type of war. Not sure if Irma will beat NK Kim Jung

Old 09-04-2017, 04:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not "idiotic" in the least. Unless of course you believe that fact and the American right to economic sovereignty is "idiotic."
Any talk of a trade war with China is idiotic.

Econ 101.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
Don't need Chinese made junk. Never bought it never will.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:40 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
Hats, t-shirts, etc. on the Trump "shop" made in the USA: https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/ That is where I got mine! I couldn't help but think how this must have been a blessing for the manufacturers that get business from Trump making these items.

We would do fine. We have all sorts of factories sitting empty, and warehouses that were previously used. A lot of people anxious for jobs. It would take a little time, but we can do it. We do have things produced in the USA if you haven't heard that. I try to buy US made products as they are actually made to last (maybe 10 to 15 times as long for garments).

Here are 100+ brands that are 100% made in the USA | Clark Howard
THE List of American Made Companies - USA Love List
The American List | A Continuous Lean.
https://toddshelton.com/blog/made-in...n-usa-products
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rica/index.htm

I would avoid garments coming out of CA as they appear to be using slave illegal alien labor: Sweatshop Conditions in L.A.'s Garment Industry | Al Jazeera America

I even contacted a company that I shop online and told them I only wanted to buy USA made, and they started a special section "USA made" on their website!

Old 09-04-2017, 04:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don't need Chinese made junk. Never bought it never will.
The device you used to type your post likely has some Chinese parts.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:47 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But only temporarily, until we restructured our economy back to serve Americans. When did being "American" come to mean "bend over for corporate globalists and China"? When did it come to mean "Walmart is my Daddy, sorry about all the small businesses it killed"? Because if that's what being "American" means, this country is over.
Actually a depression would cause further consolidation. It wouldn't be a panacea for small business. Corporations would consolidate even faster and folks would be out of jobs faster as well.

However, ra ra 'merica, idiots think that suddenly main street will be filled with mom and pop butchers and pharmacies while all these mega corps somehow stop existing.

So no worries, continue to push for this and watch the corporate over lords bend you over while you smile thinking you did a good job because this will do nothing to bring jobs back to 'merica and will only further consolidate corporate ownership and power. They win either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies