Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
This is absurd. How is the south the source of present day disunion? There was never truly any "North" and it certainly doesnt exist now. Many northern state haves alot more in common with the South than they do than the nyc/massachusetts liberalism.

Trump would never have won if it werent for Michigan,Ohio,Pennsylvania,West virginia and Indiana.

The South may be the largest region for electoral votes but the South,most of the midwest and the intermountain West alone cant elect a president
Your thoughts are quite scattered. Get it together...

This thread is discussing the Statue issue - a LOT of which is based around the treasonous behavior of the Southern States due to their wanting to own human being and the wealth created by them.

In case you don't understand me, Trump is the RESULT of disunion, not the cause. He's just another "drudge report", "rushbo" or "hannity" - who has found a market.

The disunion is complex but largely created by those people Trump calls the "uneducated he loves". They are more easily manipulated than educated people. You can call that "elitism", but the modern world certainly is not for the "uneducated".

Maybe you should move over to a thread where people are talking about how Trump won without even a simple majority - plenty of those here.

This one is discussing memorials, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Got to give them more time. They are working on removing Christopher Columbus right now.
Columbus is already gone from many states and cities. As it should be.

Many of these early figures are complex - they have good and bad. Columbus was about the worst of all the very famous "founders". Firstly, he had nothing to do with the founding of the USA. He found some islands in the Caribbean.

Secondly, he was a murderer and torturer - not just a little. I tried reading a couple books detailing his actions and could not even get past the first few pages. We're talking skinning preggy women alive, cutting out babies...stuff like that. And not just once.

He was evil. Here are some of his "accomplishments":
1. 1 to 3 million deaths within a generation.

2. Starvation used as a weapon of war. Crops were burned and villages attacked during planting and harvest times. (This is what made them vulnerable to disease, not isolation. We have no record of similar epidemics brought by Vikings or Polynesians.) Using starvation and disease as weapons are part of the definition of genocide.

3. Widespread torture and mutilation at Columbus's direct orders. The Tainos were ordered to gather a set amount of gold or cotton. Failing to do so resulted in hands cut off or noses torn off by pliers.

4. Widespread rapes of both women and girls. Spanish accounts describe how they preferred raping the 10 year olds because they were "tighter."

Women and girls to rape were handed out as rewards to soldiers for a job well done. Columbus also ordered the rape of females in front of family members, daughters in front of the father for example, to break resistance and spread trauma.

Columbus in his own accounts described how he personally raped "cannibal girl." In his accounts, he convinced himself the girl enjoyed being raped.

5. The use of specially trained attack dogs, that go for the throat or crotch. These dogs were fed Indian body parts for food. Sometimes the Spaniards tossed living babies to be torn apart by the dogs, again as an intimidation tactic.

6. Other cruelties like bashing the heads of children against rocks. Some Indians were burned alive or hung, sometimes in groups of thirteen in "honor" of Jesus and his apostles.

7. Mass enslavement, including the first Indian slaves taken to Europe. Later he would bring the first African slaves to the Americas. There's some evidence pointing towards him being a slave trader in Africans prior to 1492.

Why would I celebrate such a man?

Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Your thoughts are quite scattered. Get it together...

This thread is discussing the Statue issue - a LOT of which is based around the treasonous behavior of the Southern States due to their wanting to own human being and the wealth created by them.

In case you don't understand me, Trump is the RESULT of disunion, not the cause. He's just another "drudge report", "rushbo" or "hannity" - who has found a market.

The disunion is complex but largely created by those people Trump calls the "uneducated he loves". They are more easily manipulated than educated people. You can call that "elitism", but the modern world certainly is not for the "uneducated".

Maybe you should move over to a thread where people are talking about how Trump won without even a simple majority - plenty of those here.

This one is discussing memorials, etc.
I pointed out your comment was absurd . You are great at pointing out sins in other regions, how about your region and the slave trade and the treatment of the Native Americans? The whole nation was built on white supremacy

Just in terms of the slave trade?

How about how much the slave trade and shipping built the northeast- liberals should be right on that I assume?

wall street was named after slavery, nyc was huge in slave trading- I am sure the manhattan media will be right on it or how about all the companies in Manhattan the prospered on the slave trade

maybe leftists will change the name of new york -it was named after a slave trader

lehman brothers ,ivy league schools like brown yale harvard,Brown University – named for the Brown brothers Two were slave traders University Hall was built in part by slave labour.

Fleet Boston – grew out of Providence Bank, founded by one of the Brown brothers , a slave trader who owned slave ships.

JP Morgan Chase – made a fortune from the slave trade.

New York Life – insured slaves. Of its first 1,000 insurance polices, 339 were policies on slaves.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Columbus is already gone from many states and cities. As it should be.

Many of these early figures are complex - they have good and bad. Columbus was about the worst of all the very famous "founders". Firstly, he had nothing to do with the founding of the USA. He found some islands in the Caribbean.

Secondly, he was a murderer and torturer - not just a little. I tried reading a couple books detailing his actions and could not even get past the first few pages. We're talking skinning preggy women alive, cutting out babies...stuff like that. And not just once.

He was evil. Here are some of his "accomplishments":
1. 1 to 3 million deaths within a generation.

2. Starvation used as a weapon of war. Crops were burned and villages attacked during planting and harvest times. (This is what made them vulnerable to disease, not isolation. We have no record of similar epidemics brought by Vikings or Polynesians.) Using starvation and disease as weapons are part of the definition of genocide.

3. Widespread torture and mutilation at Columbus's direct orders. The Tainos were ordered to gather a set amount of gold or cotton. Failing to do so resulted in hands cut off or noses torn off by pliers.

4. Widespread rapes of both women and girls. Spanish accounts describe how they preferred raping the 10 year olds because they were "tighter."

Women and girls to rape were handed out as rewards to soldiers for a job well done. Columbus also ordered the rape of females in front of family members, daughters in front of the father for example, to break resistance and spread trauma.

Columbus in his own accounts described how he personally raped "cannibal girl." In his accounts, he convinced himself the girl enjoyed being raped.

5. The use of specially trained attack dogs, that go for the throat or crotch. These dogs were fed Indian body parts for food. Sometimes the Spaniards tossed living babies to be torn apart by the dogs, again as an intimidation tactic.

6. Other cruelties like bashing the heads of children against rocks. Some Indians were burned alive or hung, sometimes in groups of thirteen in "honor" of Jesus and his apostles.

7. Mass enslavement, including the first Indian slaves taken to Europe. Later he would bring the first African slaves to the Americas. There's some evidence pointing towards him being a slave trader in Africans prior to 1492.

Why would I celebrate such a man?
Study up on the Aztec's not really nice bunch either. Not say Columbus was a Prince among men just that bad stuff gets done to people all through history....

Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't even know where to start.
Then don't.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I bet OP doesn't believe Native American were killing each other before White Man arrived.
They also held other tribes as possessions (slaves). Humans are humans are humans.

Take out the US and civilization will enter into a new dark age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

maybe leftists will change the name of new york -it was named after a slave trader
just...wow

NEW <<< York was named after the city of York in England (York is a walled city in northeast England that was founded by the ancient Romans). Just as NEW<<< Jersey was named after Jersey Isle in England. (Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Study up on the Aztec's not really nice bunch either. Not say Columbus was a Prince among men just that bad stuff gets done to people all through history....
They practiced human sacrifice, and there is evidence they were also cannibals. They believed eating their enemies hearts gave them their strength. But hey, Columbus took them out and that's all that matters.

Last edited by steven_h; 09-05-2017 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 06:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Yes it does.

But that's no reason to honor a guy who actually did it.

I like to think of myself as a better person than either an aztec priest or a spanish conquistador. I wouldn't honor either one. But that's just me.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
They also held other tribes as possessions (slaves). Humans are humans are humans.

Take out the US and civilization will enter into a new dark age.

just...wow

NEW <<< York was named after the city of York in England (York is a walled city in northeast England that was founded by the ancient Romans). Just as NEW<<< Jersey was named after Jersey Isle in England. (Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France.)

They practiced human sacrifice, and there is evidence they were also cannibals. They believed eating their enemies hearts gave them their strength. But hey, Columbus took them out and that's all that matters.

New York is named after the house of York and particularly for James Stuart, then Duke of York, creator of one of the biggest slave companies.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes it does.

But that's no reason to honor a guy who actually does it.
Except that he was also notable as the first European to encounter the new world.

Kind of like Jefferson had a slave concubine and several offspring, Churchill publicly called the Japanese "yellow monkeys", Charles Lindbergh admired Hitler, and Henry Ford was a noted anti-semite. Many famous people had feet of clay. No one is perfect. The question is always did their contributions to humanity outweigh their sins.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Except that he was also notable as the first European to encounter the new world.

Kind of like Jefferson had a slave concubine and several offspring, Churchill publicly called the Japanese "yellow monkeys", Charles Lindbergh admired Hitler, and Henry Ford was a noted anti-semite. Many famous people had feet of clay. No one is perfect. The question is always did their contributions to humanity outweigh their sins.
With or without Columbus, Europe was going to (re)discover the existence of north america. Improved ship and navigational technology, combined with greater prosperity and thus larger markets for luxuries, made that inevitable. Columbus was the first to get the funding, but if he hadn't, someone else would have, and in about the same time frame. In fact, that's one of the selling points he used - did Spain want to be first, or not?

I think each of us will make up our own minds about whether Columbus is worthy of honor.

If a town that has a Columbus statue decides to keep it, I'm good with that decision. It's theirs to make. But were it my town, I'd definitely be agitating for it to come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies