Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Florida is doing a pretty bad job at informing people. They are saying people should evacuate, and at the same breath they are saying roads are congested and running out of gas. Some other channels say its best to stay put. No one has said which routes are fastest way out of town, or where there are still room at hotels. The governor keeps repeating old lines "we can rebuild your homes, but we can't rebuild lives", but offers no advice about where people can go. Shutters are mainly for those who are evacuating from mandatory evacuation zones.
I agree. Very accurate assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,443 times
Quote:
Florida is doing a pretty bad job at informing people. They are saying people should evacuate, and at the same breath they are saying roads are congested and running out of gas. Some other channels say its best to stay put. No one has said which routes are fastest way out of town, or where there are still room at hotels. The governor keeps repeating old lines "we can rebuild your homes, but we can't rebuild lives", but offers no advice about where people can go. Shutters are mainly for those who are evacuating from mandatory evacuation zones.
I would have driven up to Huntsville on Tuesday if I lived on land, if I had my boat in Florida I would have taken it South of Cuba.

Oh well. I was reading some wouldn't leave early because of school. What? Do people think this is a weekend trip inland and they will be back to school on Monday.

If there is a direct hit on Miami and Ft Lauderdale there may be no power for weeks.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My cousin in Florida was thinking of leaving to stay with relatives in Ontario.......Here is part of her face book post.... "checked flights earlier. Found three seats direct to Toronto. One ticket was $3000 and one almost $4000...ONE-way!"

I thought gouging was illegal???
The computer program charges based on how full flight is and how soon it will take off. You would have seen same price before Irma on an almost full flight.

Your cousin should have been on Greyhound bus to Atlanta on Tuesday and then caught a flight up to Ontario.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Hurricane Irma cat. 5 has strengthened into the second strongest storm on record. People in Fl. seen filling gas cans.

I noticed when I was out today people filling gas cans. Not a normal occurrence with high gas prices caused by Harvey storm.
"has strengthened into the second strongest storm on record."

The media ALWAYS exaggerates and goes to the nth degree.

I read from a top weather scientist that this storm is ranked no. 7.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
"Florida is doing a pretty bad job at informing people."

B.S.

"No one has said which routes are fastest way out of town,"

What are these people babies?

If you live in Fl you KNOW the best ways out.

It only has so many Interstates going north so your choices are limited.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Same problems as Metro Houston. Where and how do you evacuate 6 million people?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
I have a lot friends who live in South Ga and they are staying also heart that I-75 headed North is backed up.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Let's see, Harvey with record rains and now Irma a monster storm about to set more records...could it be climate change is real?

I sincerely hope people get out before it's too late. I remember a woman in TX being asked why she didn't evacate and she replied, " we didnt have the money".
How many people will die in Irma's path because they didn't have the money to leave?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The computer program charges based on how full flight is and how soon it will take off. You would have seen same price before Irma on an almost full flight.

Your cousin should have been on Greyhound bus to Atlanta on Tuesday and then caught a flight up to Ontario.
Amtrak is another option.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
As I watched the news last night, about people lined up to get gas in order to flee, I was reminded of a policy that some areas had back during the OPEC embargo: limit each car to 10 gallons. That would help insure that more people have enough gas to head north (I shall assume that 10 gallons would get a car at least 200 miles, at 20 mph).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies