Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:22 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Amtrak is another option.
I'm not sure the trains are running, I don't think they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:22 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I watched the news last night, about people lined up to get gas in order to flee, I was reminded of a policy that some areas had back during the OPEC embargo: limit each car to 10 gallons. That would help insure that more people have enough gas to head north (I shall assume that 10 gallons would get a car at least 200 miles, at 20 mph).
During Rita about 2 million people fled Houston. It would take 12-15 hours to make the 4 hour trip to DFW and people were running out of gas on the highways. They had to get gas trucks on the road to refill cars.

Lot of idling and burning fuel to go nowhere when the roads are at a standstill.

Over 100 people died just trying to evacuate Houston back in 2005.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
During Rita about 2 million people fled Houston. It would take 12-15 hours to make the 4 hour trip to DFW and people were running out of gas on the highways. They had to get gas trucks on the road to refill cars.

Lot of idling and burning fuel to go nowhere when the roads are at a standstill.

Over 100 people died just trying to evacuate Houston back in 2005.
This is true. The sheer scale of an Irma evacuation is beyond logistical capability for south Florida alone. Let alone the many other states in the strike path.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have a lot friends who live in South Ga and they are staying also heart that I-75 headed North is backed up.
Go west. Alabama.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Florida is doing a pretty bad job at informing people. They are saying people should evacuate, and at the same breath they are saying roads are congested and running out of gas. Some other channels say its best to stay put. No one has said which routes are fastest way out of town, or where there are still room at hotels. The governor keeps repeating old lines "we can rebuild your homes, but we can't rebuild lives", but offers no advice about where people can go. Shutters are mainly for those who are evacuating from mandatory evacuation zones.
Sounds this way. And the sheer logistics of evacuating a peninsula are mind boggling.

My best friend's mom was on the fence about evacuating. Her house is as hurricane-proof as it can be, according to her, so decided to stick it out due to traffic trying to get out of Miami. Last night, her neighborhood became a mandatory evacuation zone and she hit the road soon after (luckily had prepared for such contingencies - she's weathered a lot of hurricanes over the past 35 years in Miami!). She had hoped to get herself, her wife, and their recovering-from-surgery dog to Atlanta where they could have stayed with either my parents or some friends of mine. As of this morning, it looks like they only anticipate being able to get as far as Orlando. :\

Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well, if they're pre-filled with water, you can see why people don't necessarily "stock up" on them: they are quite cumbersome and take up an enormous amount of space.

Otherwise you have to fill them yourself, and exposure to air is literally all that is needed to contaminate a water sample.
There's nothing in clean water that's going to support the growth of bacteria.

Last edited by uggabugga; 09-07-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sounds this way. And the sheer logistics of evacuating a peninsula are mind boggling.

My best friend's mom was on the fence about evacuating. Her house is as hurricane-proof as it can be, according to her, so decided to stick it out due to traffic trying to get out of Miami. Last night, her neighborhood became a mandatory evacuation zone and she hit the road soon after (luckily had prepared for such contingencies - she's weathered a lot of hurricanes over the past 35 years in Miami!). She had hoped to get herself, her wife, and their recovering-from-surgery dog to Atlanta where they could have stayed with either my parents or some friends of mine. As of this morning, it looks like they only anticipate being able to get as far as Orlando. :\
Hopefully that will be far enough out of the path to keep them safe, because that's where my loved ones are riding out the storm.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My cousin in Florida was thinking of leaving to stay with relatives in Ontario.......Here is part of her face book post.... "checked flights earlier. Found three seats direct to Toronto. One ticket was $3000 and one almost $4000...ONE-way!"

I thought gouging was illegal???
They are investigating the airlines for this.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Florida is doing a pretty bad job at informing people."

B.S.

"No one has said which routes are fastest way out of town,"

What are these people babies?

If you live in Fl you KNOW the best ways out.

It only has so many Interstates going north so your choices are limited.
It is not a matter of knowing which roads lead North, it is a matter of being informed which routes are least congested, and where gas is still available. Even a child should understand this.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Tap water??

Plastic Fibers Are Found in 83% of the World's Tap Water, a New Study Reveals

94% of U.S. tap water contaminated by plastic fibers

Plastic Fibers Are Found in '83% of the World's Tap Water' | Time.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wer/636662001/
Your link says these are also in bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies