Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Absolutely. This thing is a monster.
Right now sustained winds are 180 to 185 mph and very little can withstand that.

If I lived in the keys I would be gone yesterday. Gonna be a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Difficult to decide what to do... leave town or stay!

We have our golden tickets to leave but what if our property gets destroyed what if opportunist will stop buy to take whatever they can!

Of course life's are more important than stuff but we have flight tickets as we planned to travel and can't take too much or we might need to check in suitcases and take more

Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Plus, another tropical storm, Jose, has developed behind Irma.

National Hurricane Center

Right now it is forecast to go a bit more north of Irma's path, but things do change.
I hate to say this: In that link there is currently a disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico. The National Hurricane Center is giving that disturbance an 80% chance of developing in the next five days. To make the situation even worse; one of the projected paths of Irma could put that storm in the Gulf of Mexico. Hopefully all of this is wrong and Irma will turn north before Florida. But we need to keep our eyes open; these can be very deadly times for many that have already suffered so much - not to mention the people that will feel the full force of Irma.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Everyone should already have emergency supplies so they don't have to do last minute shopping and hoarding. Gradually amass things over the year as they go on sale. I don't care where you live. It's common sense. As a former Girl Scout I believe in being prepared. Then you don't have to panic.

Media whipping everyone up into a frenzy as usual.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
stores are already running out of food and bottled water.

unleash the panic!!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times
Thousands of people are stockpiling water and non perishables ... better to use that money to get out! That's what we're doing if this thing heads our way in South Mississippi.

This is a beast.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Hurricane Irma cat. 5 has strengthened into the second strongest storm on record. People in Fl. seen filling gas cans.

I noticed when I was out today people filling gas cans. Not a normal occurrence with high gas prices caused by Harvey storm.
Its normal when a storm is getting near. Gas generators need gas.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If anyone doesn't take Irma seriously they're nuts. And Jose has potential behind Irma. I would personally heed all warnings, and would probably opt to take a vacation if I lived in it's potential path. Board up and leave. But alas most with "ride it out".
All flights are already booked. It looks like this could hit anywhere in FL, so you'd have to drive all the way to GA. Its a tough call. I am boarding up in case we have to go to a shelter. Unfortunately looting is like an Olympic sport around here. Good to have insurance at times like these.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I hear what you are saying. I live in a class A structure which is good for a cat. 3 storm. What makes going somewhere else difficult is the distance someone in say So. Florida would have to travel. Could go to Ga. and the storm could hit there too. Not an easy decision when you could travel into the path of the storm.
And there is a chance the gas stations along the way are out of gas, which would leave you stranded.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And there is a chance the gas stations along the way are out of gas, which would leave you stranded.
Yeah, that has happened before. I remember one of the storms after Charlie where that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies