Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Hurricane Irma cat. 5 has strengthened into the second strongest storm on record. People in Fl. seen filling gas cans.

I noticed when I was out today people filling gas cans. Not a normal occurrence with high gas prices caused by Harvey storm.
This thing is an ugly beast. Going to ATL this weekend. I like our chances better there. Hopefully, there is something to come back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Think about the people in antigua,barbuda,puerto rico, virgin islands,etc. This is not like florida. When you are on a island you cant just drive up to north florida or Georgia or Alabama and get a hotel.There are not many places on an island to go. My good friend is in Puerto rico and he said San Juan airport has cancelled close to half of its flights and gas prices have doubled. The caribbean always gets the full brunt of the storm.
yep is true why Ill try panama

Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I am on the southwest side of Fl. Many of the homes built in the last 15 years have a strict building code to follow. The brickwork frames has metal rods and filled with cement for extra strength . There are metal rods which are to reinforce the roof from blowing off. I believe the code is to withstand 130 MPH winds. Shape of the roofline is pyramid.

I was not here for category 4 Charlie in.2004. My neighbors were and their house withstood over 100 MPH winds .

Many homes here have metal shutters to put on all windows. We are putting them up as well as my neighbors. Most people here in my neighborhood are staying.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's gusting over 200mph.

Miami skyline is full of massive cranes, and they have no time to take them down. They are just telling people to not go near them.
This may go down as the worst season ever. Dam*.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
https://project.wnyc.org/hurricane-tracker/ you can check out direction of all three storms jose as well. The first one that comes up is jose you have to change it to irma

a great source of live web cams for irma as long as power stays on https://qz.com/1069687/hurricane-irm...live-web-cams/

this guy is always good for storm videos and tracking it says https://www.pscp.tv/Jeff_Piotrowski/1vOxwOAZevVxB

Old 09-05-2017, 06:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Difficult to decide what to do... leave town or stay!

We have our golden tickets to leave but what if our property gets destroyed what if opportunist will stop buy to take whatever they can!

Of course life's are more important than stuff but we have flight tickets as we planned to travel and can't take too much or we might need to check in suitcases and take more
Ah yes, the ancient Jack Benny dilemma -

"Your money or your life!"

"Give me a minute, I'm thinking, I'm thinking..."

Old 09-05-2017, 06:44 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Its only hours away from antigua . this would be tough to read from your meteorological service

https://twitter.com/anumetservice/st...41000732794881

Old 09-05-2017, 06:53 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:

We have our golden tickets to leave but what if our property gets destroyed what if opportunist will stop buy to take whatever they can!

Of course life's are more important than stuff but we have flight tickets as we planned to travel and can't take too much or we might need to check in suitcases and take more
If you are in the path and have the chance and the means, go, go, go! This is a monster. Stuff is stuff. I had a house fire several years ago and lost everything I owned, including family pictures, but in the end who cares? It's stuff.

Please don't chance staying when you have the ability to leave.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If you are in the path and have the chance and the means, go, go, go! This is a monster. Stuff is stuff. I had a house fire several years ago and lost everything I owned, including family pictures, but in the end who cares? It's stuff.

Please don't chance staying when you have the ability to leave.
Agreed. Get out. You won't care about your house and possessions if you're dead.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:

Just go. Forget about suitcases and packing. Put important papers in a briefcase, take only it with you. You can always buy clothes, toothpaste, etc where ever you go.

Get out while you have the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies