Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Feds Trump & the Constitutional Standard - KrisAnne Hall

Old 09-06-2017, 04:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm not sure why people do this. Hardly anyone is going to listen to some lady talk for over an hour, right or wrong.

Besides, you are supposed to present an argument when you start a thread.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
The Supreme Court's job is to interpret the Constitution--thus, in a very real way--what the Supreme Court says--is the Standard.

You or KrisAnne or anyone else...have no say in this.

/fail

Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 AM

Wrong! Show me where in Article III of the Constitution it says the Supreme Court's job is to "Interpret this Constitution." The Constitution needs no "interpretation." It just needs to be read and understood, along with the Federalist Papers, and Anti-Federalist Papers, which reveal the thinking of the Framers, and the intention of every Article and Section of the Constitution.

Krisanne Hall is an attorney and former prosecutor, and disabled Army Veteran who travels around the country teaching the Constitution to groups and Legislators, including the genealogy of our Constitution, which is 700 years of English History.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-06-2017 at 05:00 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not sure why people do this. Hardly anyone is going to listen to some lady talk for over an hour, right or wrong.

How about the argument that our Constitution is the Standard, not what the Supreme Court says?

Why don't people want to become educated?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Yeah, way too long. Worth noting that there are a number of activist judges, though, who manage to legislate from the bench. Probably less so at the Supreme Court level, since they're under more scrutiny, but the state level courts can be an absolute joke. When NY state upheld SAFE Act, the judge actually quoted Mother Jones in his decision.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
The Supreme Court's responsibility is to uphold the Constitution, not "interpret" or "rewrite" it. It's not a "living document" other than the fact that it can be Amended by going through an extensive Ratification process. Supreme Court Justices' obligations are right there in the Oath they must take to serve:

“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States; and that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
How about the argument that our Constitution is the Standard, not what the Supreme Court says?

Well..people are educated..and have soundly rejected your argument--time and again.

I'll throw out the two words you armchair Conservative Constitutionalists hate:

Living Document

What you desire..and what is---are very far apart. We are not bound to go lockstep with men 200+ years dead..who had no idea of the world we live in..or the issues we face.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

That isn't an argument. It's a statement.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well..people are educated..and have soundly rejected your argument--time and again.

I'll throw out the two words you armchair Conservative Constitutionalists hate:

Living Document

What you desire..and what is---are very far apart. We are not bound to go lockstep with men 200+ years dead..who had no idea of the world we live in..or the issues we face.
So do you think it's okay for a court to use statistics from Mother Jones to make decisions? I kinda think they should go by what the constitution says, using other written materials from the time the constitution was drafted to solve any questions as to what the intent was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies