Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Ill fitting or not, the sight of a wide expanse of a bare belly is hardly social unacceptable in the south. Ditto the butt-crack.

The Buzz Inn apparently took offense at the sight of her belly, decided her shirt didn't meet their definition of appropriate clothing for their establishment, and refused her service.

If this was a social norm of the area, one would think the other restaurant would have objected as well.
Actually,

The Buzz Inn server told KIRO 7 off-camera that Gobin's crop top didn't cover enough of skin to qualify as a shirt and stated that she would have told any person in the same top to "cover up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I would be willing to bet that if an 18 year old female with six pack abs came in wearing a halter top, there would have been no issue.
How much?

Years ago we had an very attractive 18 year old employee. She came to work with a mid drift top, belly showing. Guess what? She was sent home to change and told to dress appropriately. We also had a guy who thought it ok to remove his shirt at work. Guess what? Yep, told he must keep his clothes on at work.

Is it really that hard to understand what appropriate clothing is?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Actually,

The Buzz Inn server told KIRO 7 off-camera that Gobin's crop top didn't cover enough of skin to qualify as a shirt and stated that she would have told any person in the same top to "cover up."
So the staff member told KIRO 7 off-camera that he/she decided that the shirt didn't qualify as a shirt as it wasn't long enough to qualify?

How long does a shirt need to be to qualify as a shirt at the Buzz Inn?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How much?

Years ago we had an very attractive 18 year old employee. She came to work with a mid drift top, belly showing. Guess what? She was sent home to change and told to dress appropriately. We also had a guy who thought it ok to remove his shirt at work. Guess what? Yep, told he must keep his clothes on at work.

Is it really that hard to understand what appropriate clothing is?
Apparently, yes.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
A) I don't give a s**t what people want to wear, go naked for all I care. If your mental state is such that seeing a gross naked person is going to cause you to have fainting spells you are weak weak weak.
B) I don't give a s**t if businesses want to kick people out for violating their acceptable dress codes either, go nuts

Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 AM

This is what you said,

Quote:
A small amount of fat?

There can be significant expanses of flesh visible. Belly buttons and all.

The woman was ousted from one restaurant but had no trouble at another.

Seems the community has varying standards regarding the acceptable dress code.
and this is the server said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Actually,

You want to make it a discrimination issue, and that is your choice.

shrug.

It looks like you are the only one who has a strong opinion about this story. To me, it is just private business enforcing the policy. Nothing more or less.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Ill fitting or not, the sight of a wide expanse of a bare belly is hardly social unacceptable in the south. Ditto the butt-crack.

The Buzz Inn apparently took offense at the sight of her belly, decided her shirt didn't meet their definition of appropriate clothing for their establishment, and refused her service.

If this was a social norm of the area, one would think the other restaurant would have objected as well.
Again, I live in the south. It is not acceptable in certain social settings for ones torso to be bare.

How hard is it to distinguish an appropriate shirt from an inappropriate shirt or clothing in general. Are people that ignorant.

What other restaurant are you referring to.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I was prepared to take the woman's side, until I saw that outfit. That is not what I would consider a crop top. To me, a crop top means something with a little strip of skin showing. That wasn't much more than a bra with sleeves. If she had seen other women dressed similarly who were not pregnant being allowed to stay, she might have a case, but otherwise, no. Most restaurants have a dress code of some kind, unless they're hot dog stands on the beach.
I'm glad my mother's generation didn't strut around half naked like that. I wish my generation would raise their girls up not to.

What is the deal with these younger women who think it's "cool" to show as much skin as they possible can? It's not anywhere near as attractive as they think it is.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Apparently, yes.

Why is it so hard to understand?!

My family has several retail businesses in the mall. Even in my own store, the mall security has the right to send us home if we failed to follow the mall dress code. They fined me $100 for wearing shorts once.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:10 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Bad judgment by the restaurant .

she is preggers thus your company is going to look bad by booting her out. Dumb move, it generates bad press .

and again as to her top, it was no big deal. the haters here are just attacking because they are assuming she is some kind of NON alt/religious right etc... anyone not far right of center is hated by most trumpy folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies