Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,884,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
This article says that mental health professionals who diagnose at long distance should be fired:

Fire Doctors Who Call Trump Crazy | The Daily Caller
The daily caller should probably avoid topics concerning mental health, seems they have more than a few "issues" among themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,577,340 times
Mentally ill this, mentally ill that.......whatever. A number of things were considered mental disorders or illnesses in the past but no longer are seen as such (Homosexuality beginning in 1973, Transgenderism in 2012, to name two). How do you expect me to trust definition of "mental disorder" and/or "mental illness" when the even the clinicians gave an improper label of the "condition", "state of being", or what have you? Undoubtedly the clinicians were just as trapped in the "normal behavior" box as everybody else -at least about conditions that do not indicate a "disprovable in principle" misperception of reality (i.e. thinking one is Napoleon or the POTUS when he or she clearly is not. Same thing for thinking the person bodily transported to the future or past and returned to this moment when they provably did not).

Result: it simply makes no sense to attribute mental illness to anyone merely on account of their political beliefs, no matter how radical.

Even worse, it trivializes REAL mental illnesses like PTSD, depression, or other conditions clearly related to trauma or some other phenomenon. Worse of all, it perpetuates the stigma of REAL mental illnesses, which the mentally ill (present or even past sufferers) have to deal with when confronting people who are frankly ignorant know-it-alls in this regard (I'm look at you, Taratova, along with Michael Savage just to name one other).

Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
This article says that mental health professionals who diagnose at long distance should be fired:

Fire Doctors Who Call Trump Crazy | The Daily Caller
well it is wrong, and guess what the medical community say it is fine to diagnose without directly meeting with Trump. In fact i recall a case of a man diagnosed by a doctor who saw him on TV being interviewed. The doc spotted something, called the guy and may have saved his life...

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,874,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump has met all criteria for a Narsasstuc Personality Disorder his entire adult life.

There is no professional consensus that a personality disorder is a mental illness.

This is not a basis for impeachment.

MOM............are you STILL upset?? lol

He has NOT met those criteria (I diagnose it for a living).
He IS a bit of a clown......but that's not a mental illness.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,378,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
pull-EEZ!

Fire the ones who insist he's sane or say really stupid things like, "He's the healthiest guy to EVER be president."

Let's stay focused...

Hilarious.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
MOM............are you STILL upset?? lol

He has NOT met those criteria (I diagnose it for a living).
He IS a bit of a clown......but that's not a mental illness.
many in your profession disagree with you... google it.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

330 posts, read 175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
A lot of "professionals" behave unprofessionally but I fully suspect that military psychiatrists are all over Trump and quietly watching him daily at a distance like the country depends on it. Oh...wait...the country does...he has the codes...
Your post is a "fine" example of delusion driven by immaturity and abject ignorance. Thanks for putting it on display for us all to laugh at.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,874,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
many in your profession disagree with you... google it.
Some. And most of them are obviously saying it for purely political reasons.
(There are some "ringleaders" of this semi-organized movement, and those people should be reported to their state licensing boards because they are clearly violating some of the longstanding, basic ethical requirements of licensure).

Old 09-09-2017, 02:51 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,649,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
pull-EEZ!

Fire the ones who insist he's sane or say really stupid things like, "He's the healthiest guy to EVER be president."
Right. Besides the fact that, though others not being medical professionals, many rational, intelligent people, politicians, news commentators and the majority of those on the planet from all backgrounds, plainly see and agree with professionals regarding his not being sane.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:45 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,577,340 times
Let's everybody take a deep breath, calm down, and read this -- from a real PhD in psychology. The focus is specifically on PTSD, but I think it can cover many other conditions too.

https://the-orbit.net/brutereason/20...ut-psychology/

Money quotes (so to speak) from the article.

Quote:
I understand that psychology is a unique discipline in a few ways. Unlike with other sciences, everyone has experience forming hypotheses about psychology, observing psychological phenomena, and analyzing those phenomena. We all do it every day whenever we try to figure out if someone is lying, whether or not a crush likes us back, how to help a friend who’s feeling really sad, how to appeal to an interviewer, what caused our parents to act the way they do, and so on.
Quote:
All of these statements have a little bit of evidence supporting them but a lot of easily-findable counterexamples, and yet people repeat them because they feel true to their experience and their understanding of the world. These opinions come from real experiences that really happened and can be interpreted in a multitude of ways. But that doesn’t mean that they are supported by research.
And the final ending, the coups de grace.

Quote:
Yes, I’m talking to you, dude who memorized a list of cognitive biases and thinks that counts as knowledge of psychology. And yes, you too, dude who memorized a list of logical fallacies and thinks that counts as an understanding of good argumentation. And you as well, dude who read some crap blog post about Top Ten Ways ______ Is Like A Mental Illness and thinks that counts as a clinical license to diagnose people.

Your opinion does not deserve respect if you haven’t bothered to do even the most basic research to support it. Take a f***ing seat!!!. Preferably in a Psych 101 lecture.

Last edited by Phil75230; 09-09-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies