Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Your math seems fuzzy.

We know this because the Obamas, unlike Trump, shared their taxes. Not only did they donate 10% of their income, they donated 2.5% of their NET WORTH.
My math isn't fuzzy. I'm not sure when they made that donation. My figures come from 2015 and prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
If Trump wants to donate money he should do so but quietly -- it was announced by his office that he "proudly" donated $1 million which is a pittance compared to the devastation. If he donated $1 million every day it would take a lifetime to go through his money. I'm glad he donated something and his list of pledges is sufficient but one devastated block in Houston will cost more than $1 million to make it great again. He did it for effect not out of any real desire to help people but it's money they wouldn't have otherwise...if he actually pays up.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If Trump wants to donate money he should do so but quietly -- it was announced by his office that he "proudly" donated $1 million which is a pittance compared to the devastation. If he donated $1 million every day it would take a lifetime to go through his money. I'm glad he donated something and his list of pledges is sufficient but one devastated block in Houston will cost more than $1 million to make it great again. He did it for effect not out of any real desire to help people but it's money they wouldn't have otherwise...if he actually pays up.
How much did you donate?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, let's put things in perspective - Obama donated an average of 5.7 percent of his net income over the years he was President. That's UP from prior to running for President, when the Obama's percentage was lower.

Now - lest I be accused of not playing fair - that's a higher percentage than Reagan's 4 percent, or Palin's 2 percent. Considerably lower than the 25-30 percent of the Clintons, both Bushes, and the McCains. But a WHOLE lot more than Biden's paltry average of $369 a year for decades.
Why do you keep bringing up these guys? What's your point?

None of it changes the fact that Trump donated the money as a PR stunt, an optics exercise, a show-off event.

Otherwise, he would have quietly opened his checkbook to the charity of his choosing without asking the press who to give it to, a sideshow ensuring that they'd report it and make him look like a caring, generous guy.

Gotta hand it to him, people fell for it.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How much did you donate?
Ah that old chestnut.

Irrelevant. Some people don't self aggrandize. Doesn't mean they don't help.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How much did you donate?
I'm betting many posters here on C-D donated. I'm also betting that the vast majority of them didn't feel the need to broadcast it publicly, patting themselves on the back so everyone can marvel at their generosity. That's what people like Donald Trump do.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why do you keep bringing up these guys? What's your point?

None of it changes the fact that Trump donated the money as a PR stunt, an optics exercise, a show-off event.

Otherwise, he would have quietly opened his checkbook to the charity of his choosing without asking the press who to give it to, a sideshow ensuring that they'd report it and make him look like a caring, generous guy.

Gotta hand it to him, people fell for it.
I like putting things in perspective.

And I also think that Trump's past history of giving to charity sucks. That's also some perspective.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I like putting things in perspective.

And I also think that Trump's past history of giving to charity sucks. That's also some perspective.
A more fitting perspective would be to compare other billionaire's charitable records. None of the people you repeatedly reference are worth anywhere near what Trump says he's worth.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Better than nothing.

I'd like to see the profits he's receiving from being the President sent to charities, i.e. Trump International Hotel D.C, Mar-A-Lago, etc. Related to Harvey or not.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:48 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm betting many posters here on C-D donated. I'm also betting that the vast majority of them didn't feel the need to broadcast it publicly, patting themselves on the back so everyone can marvel at their generosity. That's what people like Donald Trump do.
And your heros in Hollyweird too. They were posting it all over social media. I bet you donated absolutely zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies